Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 03:30 PM

782 posts, read 1,357,703 times

Advertisements

Why are there so many USED Coleman stoves for sale?
I have a duel-fuel coleman stove that I bought many years ago and like it alot.
There are used coleman stoves (and laterns) for sale at garage sales and craigslist.
They are actually really great products and generations of families have grown up using coleman stoves, so why is there such a market of used stoves out there?
I'd thought people would be holding on to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 05:14 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,583,855 times
A lot of people don't camp anymore.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:24 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
A lot of people don't camp anymore.
This is a record year for RV and travel trailer sales. Many of us that bought them used to camp the hard way, but now have a 3 burner stove and oven inside the nice warm, comfortable trailer with queen bed. We no longer need a camp stove, tent or even sleeping bags. It's not just retirees or older people, the biggest age group buying them is 35-45.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/low-int...iving-rv-boom/

'17 proves banner year for RV sales | Business | The Journal Gazette

The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association: Business Indicators

Old 12-08-2017, 08:21 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,583,855 times
Yes, I realize that, I guess I should have said, a lot of people who used to tent camp don't do that anymore.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:33 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,298,702 times
The dual fuel ones are getting hard to find. Not many people want to play with naptha and have to carry fuel.

"Won't somebody think of the children?"

Most have gone to the screw on propane bottle version.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:41 PM

2,496 posts, read 1,874,117 times
I don't "hard camp" any more (I "glamp") but since we spend 7-8 months of the year in a hurricane zone, that Coleman stove has come in really handy at times, along with the Coleman lantern and the little porta-potty.

Old 12-09-2017, 05:57 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
Why are there so many USED Coleman stoves for sale?
People don't really like them. Too big & clunky.

For those who DO want a propane stove there are thinner and lighter choices.
Even if you're a car camper those do just fine. I bought one like this almost on
a lark when motorcycling as it would fit into my camp gear bag easily.

Liked it just fine and never used the Coleman ever again.

Attached Thumbnails
coleman stoves-2brnr-stove.jpg  

Old 12-09-2017, 01:04 PM

11,556 posts, read 53,204,055 times
many more people bought these for a few camping trips or an emergency use than will ever use them for the long term. After some time of sitting around the garage gathering dust, folk realize they're not going to use the item again, so they sell it.

I have several 1 and 2 burner Coleman stoves that pre-date the dual fuel models, and a 2-burner dual fuel stove that travels with us in our Class B RV. The dual fuel stove still gets used at campsites when we have an outside table and nice weather to enjoy outside instead of cooking on the propane stove inside the RV. When we do campsite "pot-luck" meals with a group, the older 2-burner stoves will be put into use ... perfect for large cast iron cookware or griddles to feed a crowd.

As well, I use my 1-burner model 440 dual fuel coleman stove when camping out of my airplane. Convenient, powerful, lightweight, easy to use and store. One tank of fuel can usually last a weekend outing of several meals.

Coleman lanterns are OK and were the old standby for us for camping for many years. But we later found other brands of liquid fuel lanterns that were more powerful and fuel efficient, so gradually quit using the Coleman lanterns and now have a collection of them ... which sometimes get used for barn/utility lighting when we have power outages at our farm/ranch. I still use one old kerosene Coleman lantern for camping with my RV. With the convenience of LED lanterns these days inside a tent or on a boat, I've changed over to them ... especially for inside our house when we have power outages. Our power outages can last anywhere from a few hours to a few days ... winter storms in the area can drop powerlines or power poles can be downed with vehicle crashes ... and take awhile before our rural utility company can get to fix the problems.

Old 12-09-2017, 02:46 PM

61 posts, read 91,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
The dual fuel ones are getting hard to find. Not many people want to play with naptha and have to carry fuel.

"Won't somebody think of the children?"

Most have gone to the screw on propane bottle version.
I had to look this up. Gasoline? Yikes, I can see why nobody wants to use it. That being said,
I have the Coleman stove with screw in canisters that I used for the first time for hurricane Irma. I've been lugging that thing around for years; I've always had gas/propane stoves in the past. Induction stove-top here, so came in very handy for the six days without power. Wish I hadn't given away the two lamps I had, reading by flashlight was a bear.

Old 12-09-2017, 05:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
I don't "hard camp" any more (I "glamp") but since we spend 7-8 months of the year in a hurricane zone, that Coleman stove has come in really handy at times, along with the Coleman lantern and the little porta-potty.
No hurricanes here, but we lose power 1-4 times a year from what you would consider miles windstorms, 50-60 mph but because of all the big trees. For us the gas grill works as an oven, and lighting the gas stove burners with a match it still works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing