Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 02:15 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,358,545 times

Advertisements

When I'm camping and there are others in the area I actually enjoy hearing people having fun, not loud music or such but hearing people talking and laughing especially at night when I'm laying in bed in my tent or trailer, it relaxes me. I've always liked it since I was a kid. Does anyone else feel this way ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 02:57 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
When I'm camping and there are others in the area I actually enjoy hearing people having fun, not loud music or such but hearing people talking and laughing especially at night when I'm laying in bed in my tent or trailer, it relaxes me. I've always liked it since I was a kid. Does anyone else feel this way ?
To a certain extent, yes. As long as it isn't rowdy or drunk, I also find it relaxing.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:44 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,522,085 times
When we stopped at CG (out of necessity), noisy people, and smoky campfires, is one reason that made me stop RVing.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:57 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,058,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
To a certain extent, yes. As long as it isn't rowdy or drunk, I also find it relaxing.
Ditto. I like it.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:28 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,426,982 times
Nope, thanks. I go camping to get away from people. When I have to "camp" near others, I can tolerate normal noises (talking at reasonable levels, doors opening and closing), but there's always someone who's got to be drunk and rowdy. Similarly, people don't seem to have any clue about how to build a dang campfire and inevitably smoke out the whole place for hours on end. I've been in a few places where they thought a bonfire would be fun, and caught the place on fire to where we needed to evacuate.

Give me public lands with disbursed camping and I'm happiest, thanks.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:41 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,488,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Nope, thanks. I go camping to get away from people. When I have to "camp" near others, I can tolerate normal noises (talking at reasonable levels, doors opening and closing), but there's always someone who's got to be drunk and rowdy. Similarly, people don't seem to have any clue about how to build a dang campfire and inevitably smoke out the whole place for hours on end. I've been in a few places where they thought a bonfire would be fun, and caught the place on fire to where we needed to evacuate.

We usually disperse camp also. But, along the Oregon Coast it is often difficult: homeless in the state and national forests, overnight parking now restricted and enforced, etc. We then stay at the state park campgrounds. Last fall we spent the night next to a yurt that was unoccupied at first. Then a group of younger people showed up to claim it. No problem. They took off to the city (the city being Lincoln City). They were giggling and talking animatedly. Ok, having fun. We were rudely awakened after midnight sometime by someone vomiting loudly outside our camper. When you are trying to sleep, it is really difficult to drown that out. Finally, they settled down. It was all I could do to restrain myself from blowing my brass military whistle from our campsite the next morning. The ranger wasn’t available and the camp host was ancient and senile.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Nope, thanks. I go camping to get away...

me too... I grew up in the "then Came Bronson era"

Motorcycle and bedroll.

+ my home is in a rural 'National protected / reserved area' (quiet by nature). Coyotes and owls are fine to listen too, but radios, boom boxes, yelling... laughing... (City DOGS (w/ high social need))... I Don't need or desire to deal with it.

If I never run onto anyone, while camping, I will be fine. I could go for months on my own and not be 'lonely'

Thus, you are not very likely to find me in a campground (State, Federal, county, private...)

Old 01-04-2018, 02:48 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,358,545 times
99.9% of the time I camp in places where there are no other people but when i do camp where there are people as long as they are not loud It doesn't bother me at all. I actually enjoy it when i see and hear people having a good time.

Old 01-05-2018, 10:59 AM

7,782 posts, read 6,394,423 times
Noise is for the city, we prefer peace and quiet.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:10 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,762,169 times
I like quiet and I like dark. Whenever we'd go camping someone would come in at the next site, string up a bunch of lights which were left on all night and a boom box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing