Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 12:46 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,791,304 times

Advertisements

I am thinking the motorhome versus 5th wheel is a race a piece. The thing I like about a 5th wheel is you can dolly down the 5th wheel and take off. A motorhome will have something pulled behind it. Which boils down to preference.

If something messes up with a power unit and needs repair, you can set up camp, have a loner vehicle and not be too displaced. A Prevost is a darn nice outfit. The Detroit engines are dependable, you can't go wrong with them. A pre-emissions will be even more dependable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 08:10 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
. A Prevost is a darn nice outfit. The Detroit engines are dependable, you can't go wrong with them. A pre-emissions will be even more dependable.
What I like about Prevost is not the glitziness (I actually dislike that hence the Royale version which is less glitzy), it is how sturdy they are Everything on them seems to be better built in comparison to other motor homes. They are made to last forever (and should be given the $2 mm price tag on new ones. That is one reason we will be looking at a 2005 or 2006.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:44 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times
And why the retro precursor of Prevost was so robust and popular (Silver Eagles).

I would love to have one !

Commercial grade running gear (Continental Trailways specs)

There are a few still available.

Many also like Wanderlodge, but I don't. (Stiff and 'truckie') just like a school bus...

Old 05-11-2020, 09:06 AM

Do they have the Detroit 50 series (4 cylinder) or the 60 series? I was at a bus terminal and they had a 50 series on the floor with a huge hole in the side of the block. I didn’t get the whole story about what happened.

The 50 series was popular in busses and some of medium duty trucks.

Old 05-11-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Do they have the Detroit 50 series (4 cylinder) or the 60 series? I was at a bus terminal and they had a 50 series on the floor with a huge hole in the side of the block. I didn’t get the whole story about what happened.

The 50 series was popular in busses and some of medium duty trucks.

They have the Series 60. I have never heard of a Series 50 and my dad was on the team that developed the series 60. Prior to the series 60 they had a two cycle (Series 92) which was pretty highly regarded but used a lot of oil. I will ask him about a series 50. Maybe it came later. He retired as soon as they got the Series 60 out. (Just in time, Penske bought the company and pensions vaporized or were reduced dramatically).

Old 05-11-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
They have the Series 60. I have never heard of a Series 50 and my dad was on the team that developed the series 60. Prior to the series 60 they had a two cycle (Series 92) which was pretty highly regarded but used a lot of oil. I will ask him about a series 50. Maybe it came later. He retired as soon as they got the Series 60 out. (Just in time, Penske bought the company and pensions vaporized or were reduced dramatically).
The 50 series was a smaller engine used for some smaller applications. The 50 series is an in-line 4 cylinder. It was used for smaller applications. Urban busses, medium duty trucks and so on. John Deere cast the heads for them.

The other tidbit, I hope I do not go too far off topic, John Deere manufactured RV chassis from 1980 to 1988 before they sold that division to OshKosh.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:04 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,518,235 times
You have so many questions that it would be difficult to answer them here.

There are hundreds of thousands of full time RVers in this world, and I am in awe that so many have chosen to liquidate their home and "stuff" and hit the road.

An entry level fifth wheel can be bought for $45 to $50K, and a proper tow truck (diesel) is $55K minimum. A fifth wheel trailer is something to live in. A Class A motorhome is a RV to travel in from place to place. Many RVers will sit in one place for weeks on end, and a 5th wheel might suit them better. Those that move from place to place all the time do better with a Class A or Class C. (We have a fifth wheel trailer that stays up in the mountains in storage all the time.)

At this point in time, you should consider buying an inexpensive travel trailer or pop up camper and start camping in state parks and campgrounds on weekends and for vacations. That would give you a taste of "the good life" before you make a major investment in a big RV. And it would also give you valuable experience.

I suggest you go online to IRV2.com and start reading. There are a number of individual websites brand by brand that are very active.

We are owner/members of a very nice campground outside of Atlanta. It costs us $1 a day to stay there up to 14 days per month, 12 months per year. Yearly dues are $450 after the deeded membership is purchased. It's a great deal.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:33 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,762,417 times
We've "full-timed" it a few months at a time in a single-axle bumper-pull trailer that would make most tiny houses look gigantic.
Honestly, it wasn't that bad but my family's pretty good at being minimalists. We only live in 1k square feet in our grounded home, and there's still a lot of wasted stuff and wasted space. I've had one parent pass away who didn't leave hardly anything behind, not even a house for the other to live in. Honestly, it's been fine that way.
"Stuff" is stressful to deal with, even just a few things, especially when it's handed down by a loved one but you really don't want it. I think it's good to deal with it before your kids have to.
As for long RV trips, sure we'll tweak a few things next time we go out.
If we were to ditch everything and just live in an RV (which I'm not opposed to because home ownership is severely overrated), a Prevost would be a dream machine if not for the expense of maintenance. I don't think too much about upkeep on a Toyota pickup since repairs are few and faaaarrr between.
Otherwise, a Sprinter-van motorhome or Airstream would be my preference although I get why people like those fifth-wheels.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
We've "full-timed" it a few months at a time in a single-axle bumper-pull trailer that would make most tiny houses look gigantic.
Honestly, it wasn't that bad but my family's pretty good at being minimalists. ... I don't think too much about upkeep on a Toyota pickup since repairs are few and faaaarrr between.
1975 my mom hit the road in her near new Toyota Chinook.
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C..._cQsAR6BAgGEAE

My boss had one too.

Great rigs.
(Many still on the road)

Old 05-13-2020, 12:34 PM

I have used some of the Covid stay home time to start getting rid of things. It is difficult even though it is just broken things we were going to fix but obviously will never get to, or things that I said Hey I should try to sell this on the ineternet" instead of just getting rid of it. I have to bite my teeth to put still valuable items at the curb and let people take them, but it feels good to be rid of the pressure of so many projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing