Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 02:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
Wow, looks like a great place to hang out! If you don't mind, how much did it cost to put up the rv "storage shed"? When we move, we want to build a combo garage and rv storage (not sure I'd need one that large:-).
~$30 - $50 / SF (shell and pad... completed)
I do my own 'interior' AFTER the inspection / tax assessor drops by. (after Aug for any sheetrock = one more yr low taxes in my county).

Most of my interior stuff I get at Habitat ReStores or free cycle. (or From contractors who have mis-ordered sizes).

Shop / apartment on view acreage is a GREAT asset.
  • next buyer can stash stuff for their 'dream-house'.. and live there during construction.
  • Shops are great for playroom (kids and adults), House swapping / guests, boomerang kids (or parents), caregivers, property managers, (and when you are in the 'Dog-house' (frequently))

When looking for properties...
1) I buy only view / preferred lots
2) Paved public road access
3) utilities and permit in place (I try to buy derelict / trashed mobile homes on NICE acreage) 4 hrs on a rented dozer or excavator ($250 of fun) will take care of the MH.
free / benefit:
  1. power
  2. water
  3. septic
  4. fences
  5. grading
  6. outbuildings
  7. road access
  8. expedited permit for replacement.

The above 'infrastructure details' may cost you $100k+ and 6 months of pain... buying a trashed mobile home or house is CHEAP (no one wants to deal with them). BTW: you can get NEW repo MH from dealers CHEAP!!! and when parks go under... you can get excellent used MH for <$20k ~ $5k to move. Then you can have a 'cash flowing caretaker' (rent the MH for $1,000 / month, stay in shop for FREE (whenever you want)). Someone there to mow / blade snow / watch the joint. When you want to sell the prime view property... the MH can be moved if necessary.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 04-04-2018 at 02:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 11:35 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
One 5th wheel I saw claimed to sleep 11 people, although it looked pretty much the same at most of the others).
They may claim to sleep 11, but I can assure you they can't sleep 11 comfortably.

Usually, the couch folds out either like a hide-a-bed with a thin mattress or an inflatable mattress (sleeps 2) or it's a jackknife sofa which is usually about 3/4 the size of a double bed and not all that comfortable (sleeps 1 adult or 2 children). Then you can usually convert the dinette into a bed (not always long enough for adults but OK for 2 kids). If you get a "toy-hauler", you might be able to sleep 4 adults or 6 kids back there, but only without the "toys" inside. Some rigs have a loft in the back that kids can climb up into, but they're not usually easy for adults to access and trying to change sheets is a ******. The point I'm trying to make is, yes, there are more beds than the master bedroom but you'd have to set them up every night and put them back into normal use every single day and that can be a pain in the patootie. So don't be lured by the claims of SLEEPS 10!!!* *only technically.....

Some larger fifth wheels DO have a back bedroom, usually set up for kids but usable by adults. You can get anywhere from 2-4 sleeping back there. Some even have an extra 1/2 bath in the back bunkroom that can be accessed from the outside. Some have bunk beds built in along the side. Good for kids, not ideal for adults.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:43 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,885 times
Quote:

How long (to what age) are people able to live that nomadic lifestyle?

Thanks.
Eight years ago, we met an 88-year-old man in Colorado Springs who was full-timing it by himself. His wife had died eight years before and he was determined to carry on. He had to use a walker, but he got himself down out of his Class A quite well. Now, I've never seen an 88-year-old with a fifth wheel. It does take a certain amount of agility to hook up and unhook. We're in our 70's and I think we have about another five years before we'll have to think about an A or a C.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:56 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Poking around I see quite a few older ones, say 1999 that are really inexpensive . I like the suggestion of a prior poster of getting one sooner and testing it out. Even if you get something cheap and a bit run down use it once or three times a year and the junk it. I would want to get a smaller one so I would tow it with my 1/2 ton short bed truck.

If we do a temporary using my current truck, e will have to get a sliding type hitch and I will have to make certain the hitch is easy to remove so I can use my truck normally the rest of the year.

Maybe we should just get an RV for the temporary/test purposes. The older RVs seem cheaper than an equal 5th wheel. Perhaps that is because the added maintenance and repairs an RV will need. However if we got a temporary/test camper, I would just fix it myself and get whatever use we can out of them. The used ones I saw had about 40 - 50K miles. How long do they last?

Old 04-11-2018, 10:14 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times
We had a high-end motorhome as we were snow-birds. Living 5 months a year in a motorhome, even one with all the bells and whistles, becomes somewhat tiring after a while. If you are going to be on the move frequently, keep in mind the cost of gas, highly recommend a washer & dryer (separate units not a combo), full refrigerator so you don't have to go a grocery store every other day, counter-space such as an island.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:17 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We had a high-end motorhome as we were snow-birds. Living 5 months a year in a motorhome, even one with all the bells and whistles, becomes somewhat tiring after a while. If you are going to be on the move frequently, keep in mind the cost of gas, highly recommend a washer & dryer (separate units not a combo), full refrigerator so you don't have to go a grocery store every other day, counter-space such as an island.
Thanks.

Anyone have one with a dishwasher (machine, not your spouse). Are they practical?

Old 04-11-2018, 12:08 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Poking around I see quite a few older ones, say 1999 that are really inexpensive . I like the suggestion of a prior poster of getting one sooner and testing it out. Even if you get something cheap and a bit run down use it once or three times a year and the junk it. I would want to get a smaller one so I would tow it with my 1/2 ton short bed truck.

If we do a temporary using my current truck, e will have to get a sliding type hitch and I will have to make certain the hitch is easy to remove so I can use my truck normally the rest of the year.

Maybe we should just get an RV for the temporary/test purposes. The older RVs seem cheaper than an equal 5th wheel. Perhaps that is because the added maintenance and repairs an RV will need. However if we got a temporary/test camper, I would just fix it myself and get whatever use we can out of them. The used ones I saw had about 40 - 50K miles. How long do they last?
I don't know what length bed you have, but my owner's manual prohibits pulling a 5th wheel if you have the short bed. I have a Chevy, so I don't know what Ford and Ram allow.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:58 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,021,199 times
Quote:
Thanks.

Anyone have one with a dishwasher (machine, not your spouse). Are they practical?
We have one in our unit, wife doesn't use it much but it's there when we want it. It was packaged in (all electric unit) when we ordered our rig. We have a hydronic heating system so that means unlimited hot water so water use in not an issue

Old 04-12-2018, 02:34 PM

3,889 posts, read 4,543,431 times
Quote:
Thank you for your helpful responses.

At first I thought the information quoted above was impractical. We will have to sell the house to buy a 5th wheel and truck. I do not have an extra $120,000 laying around (or more if we buy new). However it may make sense to finance it and practice for a while get the bugs worked out etc Then if it looks good we can sell the house and go full time. If not, we can sell the 5th wheel and keep the house, or sell it and buy a smaller house. So it does make a lot of sense to buy one ahead of time. I struggle with buying new. It could cost us $50,000 more for essentially the same thing. However the maintenance is a good point. There is probably no way to know whether they resealed the roof and windows as needed without any water ever getting in. Well I have ten years to figure that part out.

If we do this, we will likely buy a small house or at least a building with storage etc on some land where we can park the RV for a few months and change out our seasonal clothing and gear. No point in carrying kayaks around in the winter, or coats in the summer.

Also why don't they have tankless water heaters? It would not work when you are boondocking (I think that is what they call it). But when you are hooked up it would solve the shower issue.
I recently watched this RV and found it pretty informative. Pros and cons about warranties like some that include road service, but who dictate who does the work, which is sometimes not convenient. Better to go to a place closer, or better yet finding a mobile outfit that could come out to you. Good luck on your adventure!

Old 04-12-2018, 02:36 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times
Quote:
Thanks.

Several friends had dishwashers and used them for storage. Paper plates are common RVing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing