Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2018, 02:43 PM

307 posts, read 246,148 times

Advertisements

So two months ago we sold our house way faster than expected ( 1 showing ) and decided to spend the summer in the camper at a local RV "ranch". It's a really peaceful campground with lots to do for the kiddo including a pool and huge playground that is practically in our front yard. We are having a blast here with all there is to do and the cheap rent is a huge bonus as we are saving quite a bit of money at the same time!

The down side to all this wonder is the bathroom. Not so much the size, but the smell coming from the holding tank after flushing. I currently just leave the gray and black water tanks open so that they flow freely and so that I don't have to monitor tank levels and all that...but the smell after flushing the toilet is quite unpleasant. I did try keeping the black water tank closed and treating the tank with the blue treatment stuff which seems to help for a couple days, then it got smelly again.

So, I'd like to hear from those that live in their RV full time. Is it better to let it flow, or hold it in and treat it? What do you do to make the bathroom a more pleasant place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 11:07 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,011,866 times
If you're just letting it flow, wouldn't the sewer gasses just flow into the tank? I would think a treated black tank would smell a tad bit better than an untreated sewer gas filled tank. I would also think that depending on the tank configuration, waste material could also be washed aside from the flow stream and just sitting in the tank festering. I'm wondering if you need to experiment with different waste treatments to find the one that works best for your conditions. Or maybe one of those siphoning vent caps to draw odors out while flushing.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:29 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,308,240 times
Your solids aren't flushing down the black tank as there's not enough water from the wimpy RV toilet to carry them on through. There's most likely a build up of solids right below the toilet. It's better to keep black water tank valve closed and let it build up with some water, monitor it and dump it when needed IMO. The other poster is correct that sewer gases are also backflowing inside, but the majority of your problem is from your "poo pyramid" you've created

I used to also spray the black tank from the outside using a special clear sewer connector elbow with hose adaptor and then also down through the toilet from the inside using a special rotating water wand made just for that purpose. I'd also add some sort of smell good treatment.

To remove your super harderned poo pyramid after all this time, you may need to drop multiple bags of ice down your toilet and drive down the road, the more bumpy the better. The shaking motion from the ice should break things up and then melt and get things flowing. I'd follow up by filling the black tank up with water yet again and flushing again. And then again.

You're going to definitely want that cleaning wand I mentioned, and use it every time you dump tank. Stick her down the toilet and let her rip. It will take a few cleanings before you can see clear water come out of your black tank.

Something like this for Inside cleaning attachment: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0006...ID=310q2uQ6TLL

And this for Outside cleaning attachment by where your black tank dump valve is and connect your sewer hose to it.https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002...ID=41BgMx5v1IL

This is also a nice attachment because it's clear so you can see when your black tank is draining clear water.

Last edited by 6.7traveler; 06-13-2018 at 11:38 PM..

Old 06-14-2018, 01:12 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
Two things...

1. Leave your black tank valve closed so that the waste can decompose. Be sure to use black tank treatment and add the specified amount of water. Leaving the valve open doesn't let the solids liquify and can actually let them accumulate. You can leave your gray tank valve open, but close it a day or two before you leave so you can flush out your hose after you drain the black tank.

2. Leaving one or both valves open is leaving a path for sewer gas to get into your trailer. Use a sewer hose support that elevates your sewer hose so it drains completely. But here's the trick to blocking sewer gas. Set the hose support up about 18 inches away from the RV drain outlet and let the hose touch the ground between the outlet and the support. You have just now created a pee trap, which will prevent sewer gas from entering your RV.

Happy flushes!

Old 06-14-2018, 05:49 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostintheMatrix View Post
The down side to all this wonder is the bathroom.
Not so much the size, but the smell coming from the holding tank after flushing.
Start operating according to the instructions and you'll be fine.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:42 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,337,220 times
When I full-timed (three years) I always let my gray flow and kept my black tank closed for the simple reason my gray tank would be full after a couple of days, and I didn't want to deal with it that often. A day before I knew I was going to empty my black tank I would close the gray tank in order to use it to flush the lines after emptying my black tank. This method works well, and I never had a problem with smell in my RV due to leaving the gray tank open due to the traps on every drain that found its way there. No worries.

Old 06-14-2018, 08:49 AM

307 posts, read 246,148 times
Some great points about leaving the tank closed - Thanks

I have one of the clear elbows with the hose attachment. I guess I just need to get in there and go a good cleaning and then start treating the holding tank. This RV actually had 3 separate tanks - Black, Gray & Galley- so flushing the line with gray then galley should work very well.

Thanks for the input everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing