Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 01:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times

Advertisements

Our DOT officers will be happy to weight tongue weight and issue you a $1000 ticket.

I typically see (3) DOT officers / day on my rural road.

State Patrol, County, and Local police all have the DOT stuff including scales for axles and tongues. (Good source of ez revenue.)

It is very easy to spot a "hitch-heavy" rig, and if in an accident, LEO will weight it anyway for investigation / assignment of probably cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 07:39 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,968,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Our DOT officers will be happy to weight tongue weight and issue you a $1000 ticket.

I typically see (3) DOT officers / day on my rural road.

State Patrol, County, and Local police all have the DOT stuff including scales for axles and tongues. (Good source of ez revenue.)

It is very easy to spot a "hitch-heavy" rig, and if in an accident, LEO will weight it anyway for investigation / assignment of probably cause.
I've driven a million miles and hardly ever see the stuff that you report seeing every day. 3 DOT officers/day on a rural road. Oh my.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:52 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
How many people can weigh their hitch weight? Not sure if I've seen a 750 pound scale outside of industrial circles. Are cops going to start pulling people over and weighing their hitches? How about SWAT raids for people that are suspected of contemplating it? Thought crime division attack!

You can buy 1000 lb and 2000 lb tongue scales on Amazon all day long.

If you live in a totalitarian nanny state you might have your tongue weighed. Never heard of such a thing in free states.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:37 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,671,988 times
Tongue weight scales are pretty common and relatively inexpensive. They even make one that is built into the hitch.

The most common option though is pretty simple. Drive to a set of CAT scales (many truck stops have them) with the rig fully loaded as if you were headed on a trip. Drive the truck onto the scales but not the trailer. Record the weight. Then unhook the trailer from the truck (making sure the trailer jack doesn't contact the scales and the hitch isn't touching the ball) and record the weight of the truck. Weight of the truck with the trailer hitched - weight of the truck unhitched = tongue weight.

There are times when rigs just look overloaded and those are the folks who you see getting weighed. If the truck's nose is sitting 1-2" higher than the rear it "may" just mean the rig needs weight distribution. If the nose is sitting 4-5 inches higher than the rear it would be pretty obvious that the rig is overloaded.

No substitute for common sense when it comes to safety. Choosing to tow heavy just because you don't want to spend the money to tow correctly is ridiculous given the number of families that you will be passing on the highway. I've seen far too many accidents caused by someone who doesn't know what they're doing trying to tow a load because they've "done it a million times and never had a problem". That 1,000,001 time might just be the one that gets you and someone else hurt.

My question more than anything is WHY someone would choose to tow heavier than the truck is actually rated to carry. If you can't afford the truck needed to pull the fancy rig you want, choose a less fancy and/or smaller rig that weighs less.

Otherwise, don't start RV'ing. RV'ing isn't a cheap hobby to get into and you're going to pay to play one way or another. Biting the bullet and buying the correct setup is far cheaper than paying medical bills/lawsuits/truck repairs/etc... from trying to save a few thousand dollars on the front end.

Last edited by Nlambert; 05-28-2019 at 02:47 PM..

Old 05-28-2019, 08:42 PM

130 posts, read 86,713 times
I have lived in two different RV's since 2005. The first was a Nomad trailer 33' and it was pure junk. It had wood framing and the slide out leaked. Even though I was living in it I didn't detect the leak because the carpet covered it up. I should have figured out what that musty smell was but I failed and the wood rotted out completely at the base of the walls and floor. I replaced all the wood but this would not have happened if it had aluminum framing, at least the walls anyhow. The Nomad also had corrugated aluminum siding which had pitting from electrolysis. The trailer was wired with standard wire and not typical house wiring. The fuse panel burned up. All the wire in the walls were black (burned) from high resistance. The 30 amp plug melted all the time due to the improper wire in the walls and resistance. I spent about 9 years in that thing and I feel like a idiot. I found a 1999 King of the Road fifth wheel with three axles and three slides that needed work because the skylight leaked in the bathroom and the roof needed repair and the floor around the toilet was leaking and rotted. The air conditioner in the bedroom leaked too. I was able to purchase it real cheap. I fixed the roof and cut out the old rotting wood and installed new wood. I then put on a new coat of EPDM rubber roof coating. The brand Liquid Roof turned to black mold patches and peeled everywhere. It was exhausting getting the peeled flakes off. I then re coated the roof with a brand called "Superior" epdm coating which there has been no problem. Don't buy LIQUID ROOF. They would not give a refund. If you have the option buy a fiberglass roof. The rubber roofs wear out. You will notice the top white chalky layer wash away and when you start seeing black in spots it's time to redo or re-coat the roof. Your lucky if you get 10 years! The manufactures install rubber roof because it's cheaper for them to do so plus they get repeat business when your roof fails. I also have fiberglass siding which is much better than the corrugated aluminum siding. It doesn't pit from electrolysis and it's much easier to clean and maintain. I removed the air conditioner and patched the hole in the bedroom. I replaced the floor in the bathroom. Those were the main issues and the must haves are aluminum framing and fiberglass siding and roof if possible. Good insulation is very important for the winter months. I installed one of those vent free propane heaters for the winter time thinking I would save money from having to use the original propane furnace because so much of the heat is exhausted outside. Well it puts out a lot of heat but the condensation is a problem. I have carbon monoxide sensors and the alarms have never gone off so I am assuming it is safe. I am worried about the condensation though running maybe down the interior walls and down to the wood floor. I will use it sparingly. I hope my experience as a RV full timer will help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing