Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 11:08 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,700,359 times

Advertisements

Some advice to perspective RV owners.
We started RVing when we got tired of tents in the early 1970s with our young family. Last year we finally had to give up our last RV as we are just too old to handle it anymore.
We have had many RVs over the years that included one travel trailer, 2 motor homes, 2 tent trailers and a total of 5 5th wheel trailers. They ranged in size from 20 feet to 39 feet in length. Needless to say our preference for ease-of-use and many other reasons is the 5th wheel travel trailer. They tow so easy and don’t wobble around on the road like mini motor homes still in the wind. And, you get the benefit of having your truck for transportation when you arrive at your camping site.
First I would like to say that I would never buy another unit that has a wooden frame. I don’t care how they attach the framing members every one of the units that I had with wooden frames shook themselves apart going down the road. The units that had aluminum framing seem to hold up well over the years.
Secondly, consider your usage in that if you intend to use the unit in one or months subject to freezing you need to have your black and gray water tanks belly wrapped so that they do not freeze. This can be a real problem.
We lived in one 5th wheel for almost two years whiled we full timed it an traveled the country.
Buy used if you can. You can save yourself a lot of money by doing this and if you don’t you are going to lose a lot of money on the purchase of a new unit. Over the years I have run into many people that bought new units and found they were upside down money-wise and had lots of trouble getting rid of the RV when they needed to. My wife and I have seen many people here in Arizona that purchased RVs and then found after 3 to 5 years that they needed to get rid of them and found themselves in bankruptcy as a result.
Try to buy a better quality unit if you can. Many of the cheaper RVs out there just don’t have the insulation factor to camp in cold weather. Some of the cheaper units that we had resulted in the heater running nearly all the time and some 40° weather.
Note that owning, maintaining, and in some cases paying for parking for parking/storage is not cheap. And fuel and camping fees have gone up drastically over the years.
With a motor home you are looking at 6-9 MPG for MPG. With a diesel truck towing a 30' 5th wheel you could get around 14 with the right gearing. Add that up over time and it's lots of money.
Good luck in your choices and I hope this helps prospective RV owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 03:57 AM

290 posts, read 250,410 times
Serious question: If my math is right, you've changed RVs every 4 or 5 years on average. Why?

I've had several as well (TT, Fiver, Popup) but they've all lasted 10 years or more. Even the wood frame models lasted at least a decade. If it matters, we average about 30 nights a year in them. Perhaps our experience is different because we're working and use them mostly on weekends, rather than constant long distance travel.

I agree with you that fifth wheels are inherently more stable, right out of the box. But TTs (Travel Trailers) can be stable if you're willing to spend money on a serious sway controlling hitch. The problem is that newbies won't do it, and the dealers install whatever's cheapest and send them down the road.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:21 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Most of my FT friends get different RV's every 4-5 yrs.

Probably to 'upgrade' before they are totally worn out. (Likely when LIVED in 365/ yr)

Our mini RV will likely last 20+ yrs. probably 30+
Occasional use.
Personally I HATE towing a light duty rig. (CDL driver... BTDT, seen too many accidents, don't want to be one myself)

Curious as to what OP travel was like...
10 days / destination?
30 days / destination?

Miles / yr?

Old 05-03-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin2 View Post
Serious question: If my math is right, you've changed RVs every 4 or 5 years on average. Why?

I've had several as well (TT, Fiver, Popup) but they've all lasted 10 years or more. Even the wood frame models lasted at least a decade. If it matters, we average about 30 nights a year in them. Perhaps our experience is different because we're working and use them mostly on weekends, rather than constant long distance travel.

I agree with you that fifth wheels are inherently more stable, right out of the box. But TTs (Travel Trailers) can be stable if you're willing to spend money on a serious sway controlling hitch. The problem is that newbies won't do it, and the dealers install whatever's cheapest and send them down the road.
What can I say. we had money and could change units anytime we wanted to.
We also had jobs that gave us lots of time off and we put many miles on the RVs in a short time.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:15 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,224,162 times
I am in the market for a used RV right now. It will be on a private lot with utilities for 6 months of the year, then have to be moved to storage. I'm going to hire people to move it because I don't have a truck and don't want to buy one just for this. Like the space better in the 5th wheels I've been in but there are fewer used options.

So.......I am having trouble with the whole "quality" thing. Seems hard to find a list of what are quality brands and then within the brands, quality models.

Old 05-03-2019, 05:36 PM

Years ago there was a great big book that you could buy. I don't know is they still publish. The book was huge and cost nearly $100 at the time.
It rated every RV made, gave lots of specs too and information was there.
They were rated from weekend warm WX use to year round use
Insulation is a big factor, as is the belly wrap for cold WX.
And I had pipes freeze in the walls of a unit that was classed as an intermediate class during a snowstorm that blocked us in years ago. It was a 5th wheel and I took the truck and bought space heaters and managed that typical 30 amp panel and opened the cupboards and thawed the pipes before they broke which could have been a real mess. The factory heater just would not put out enough heat to do the job so we had no water and could not leave due to some 3-4' of snow on the ground and the fact that the campground had not been plowed. The only way I moved the truck was early in the storm.
I guess to have to have lived in several of these units in all kinds of WX to know what I am talking about.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I am in the market for a used RV right now. It will be on a private lot with utilities for 6 months of the year, then have to be moved to storage. I'm going to hire people to move it because I don't have a truck and don't want to buy one just for this. Like the space better in the 5th wheels I've been in but there are fewer used options.

So.......I am having trouble with the whole "quality" thing. Seems hard to find a list of what are quality brands and then within the brands, quality models.
Quality,,, really depends on your climate and intended use. (Some like PLUSH, others like Functional (serviceable) and NOT PLUSH
  1. If stored 100% OUTSIDE be SURE to get a composite roof / siding joint. (no chance for leaks)
  2. If you are in a cold weather area... get one well insulated and maybe lacking on AC / creature comforts.
  3. (Skirt it during winter) re-plumb in PEX (can freeze without breaking pipes)
  4. Chose your interior materials and components to suit your life style.
  5. I would update appliances and heating / AC / plumbing with commercial quality (non-RV) items, (this will require cabinet / space mods, and a BIG robust inverter (if running on DC or solar). Many used ones may have this upgrade. - My FT friends replace plumbing fixtures (toilets / faucets) with non-RV versions Day ONE. (Ezr to fix, while on the road, and seldom break.
  6. If you are not putting lots of miles on this thing, you could go with wood construction (easier to remodel) Don't buy used wood frame model with high miles!

If on your own lot for 6 months / yr... consider building a pole shed cover that is 2x as big as RV, that way you have covered porch area and a potential place to store car / garden tools.

If more stationary than mobile I think you will find some great deals! (Used RV's are CHEAP!!!)

Join some RV forums and tech forums (Google or Yahoo)
Find someone on the forum to 'coach you and go with you to evaluate at a few.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:03 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,082,666 times
Thank you all for the advice in this thread. My fiance and I have been discussing it for a long time now, and we've recently decided to pull the trigger and go all-in when our apartment lease is up after the end of November.

We are fortunately being gifted a 2008 Toyota Tacoma in a few months, so our start-up costs are cut down tremendously. However, with it being a smaller truck, we won't be looking at larger units (I believe the V6 can tow up to 6500 lbs). We'll look at settling on a cheap used camper/5th wheel at that time (should be by August), that way 1) we don't sink a ton of money into a configuration and find out we don't like it and 2) we'll have time to practice living in it before ditching our apartment later in the year. It will stay parked most of the time (so we'll have to find a campground/spot that allows us to do so - potentially at a friend's house), but it'll be taken with us on frequent weekend trips. Eventually changing jobs to something WFH-friendly so we can move anywhere. One of our biggest challenges is going to be our pets - one cat and one snake - and keeping them comfortable.

We like the idea of towing a camper, rather than driving a motorhome, as you don't need to take your "house" everywhere for errands or local entertainment. We'll be checking out a lot of units in-person over the next few months to get a feel for what we like/dislike so we'll know what to look for when it comes time to actually purchase a used one. This thread is giving some good insight

Last edited by BrianGC; 05-13-2019 at 09:16 AM..

Old 05-13-2019, 01:54 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
Thank you all for the advice in this thread. My fiance and I have been discussing it for a long time now, and we've recently decided to pull the trigger and go all-in when our apartment lease is up after the end of November.

We are fortunately being gifted a 2008 Toyota Tacoma in a few months, so our start-up costs are cut down tremendously. However, with it being a smaller truck, we won't be looking at larger units (I believe the V6 can tow up to 6500 lbs). We'll look at settling on a cheap used camper/5th wheel at that time (should be by August), that way 1) we don't sink a ton of money into a configuration and find out we don't like it and 2) we'll have time to practice living in it before ditching our apartment later in the year. It will stay parked most of the time (so we'll have to find a campground/spot that allows us to do so - potentially at a friend's house), but it'll be taken with us on frequent weekend trips. Eventually changing jobs to something WFH-friendly so we can move anywhere. One of our biggest challenges is going to be our pets - one cat and one snake - and keeping them comfortable.

We like the idea of towing a camper, rather than driving a motorhome, as you don't need to take your "house" everywhere for errands or local entertainment. We'll be checking out a lot of units in-person over the next few months to get a feel for what we like/dislike so we'll know what to look for when it comes time to actually purchase a used one. This thread is giving some good insight
You really need to sit down and educate yourself about tow vehicle and trailer numbers. That 6500 lb figure is based on a base V-6 with one very light person. You have to weigh your truck when it has all the equipment and people on board that it will have when you go on a trip. Then you subtract that weight from the Max Combined Vehicle Weight number that should be in your owner's manual. You'll find that your tow capacity is much less than 6500 lbs. The Taco is a very poor tow vehicle for anything more than a popup camper.

My owner's manual tells me I can tow a 9100 lb trailer. My Max Combined Vehicle Weight is 15,000 lbs. My fully loaded truck is 7000 lbs. 15,000 - 7000 = 8000. So my actual max tow capacity is 8000 lbs, not 9100 lbs.

The sad thing is, all too many RV salesmen will be more than happy to sell you a trailer that exceeds the capabilities of your Taco. They'll use the 6500 lb number of your Taco and then they'll use the dry weight number of the trailer, instead of the gross weight number. The end result is you're going to be dangerously overweight. Which means you'll need a lighter trailer or a bigger truck.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:07 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,968,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
You really need to sit down and educate yourself about tow vehicle and trailer numbers. That 6500 lb figure is based on a base V-6 with one very light person. You have to weigh your truck when it has all the equipment and people on board that it will have when you go on a trip. Then you subtract that weight from the Max Combined Vehicle Weight number that should be in your owner's manual. You'll find that your tow capacity is much less than 6500 lbs. The Taco is a very poor tow vehicle for anything more than a popup camper.

My owner's manual tells me I can tow a 9100 lb trailer. My Max Combined Vehicle Weight is 15,000 lbs. My fully loaded truck is 7000 lbs. 15,000 - 7000 = 8000. So my actual max tow capacity is 8000 lbs, not 9100 lbs.

The sad thing is, all too many RV salesmen will be more than happy to sell you a trailer that exceeds the capabilities of your Taco. They'll use the 6500 lb number of your Taco and then they'll use the dry weight number of the trailer, instead of the gross weight number. The end result is you're going to be dangerously overweight. Which means you'll need a lighter trailer or a bigger truck.
Hold on AlaskaErik - most pop up campers carry a recommendation for a 3/4 ton truck. I'd say the average weight (empty) is 1500 pounds and it may be closer to 2000 pounds. They are generally not "light truck" territory.

I have 290 hp and it works quite a bit harder with the weight and wind drag.

I'm not familiar with the Tacoma but pulling 5000 is likely much easier than carrying 1500. Plus trailer brakes can be a very, very good idea. That usually takes a brake controller in the truck. Easy to do? Maybe. Depends on what the Tacoma is equipped with - for one thing.

My 3.3 Dodge Caravan is a trailer pulling beast by the way. Many loads have been pulled over Colorado passes with nary a hiccup due to the load. Minivans are modern day station wagons and station wagons were the go to vehicle for pulling trailers - back in the day. Yet nobody else seems to pull loads with their minivans.

Everybody towing has an SUV or a truck - it seems.

Last edited by ColoGuy; 05-13-2019 at 03:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing