Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 05:35 PM

7,779 posts, read 6,394,423 times

Advertisements

Mobile homes are immobile, which is why they are sometimes called "manufactured homes".
If it has a motor it is a motorhome.

A big plus for trailers is that you don't have to take the whole "house" when you want to run local errands.
They come in many different sizes. I would look into the Escape brand.

Check into Escapees, a group for full timer RV dwellers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 09:26 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,968,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Mobile homes are immobile, which is why they are sometimes called "manufactured homes".
If it has a motor it is a motorhome.

A big plus for trailers is that you don't have to take the whole "house" when you want to run local errands.

Check into Escapees, a group for full timer RV dwellers.
Good catch on the mobile home error.

16' Airstream looks good right now. Except there are very few available. New ones are $50,000 - not going to happen. Not for 16'.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:20 PM

402 posts, read 369,567 times
Quote:
I agree with this. Also I second the recommendation of a molded fiberglass travel trailer, such as Casita, Escape, Oliver, or BigFoot.

I also agree with Mr. Rational in that a RV of any kind might not be the best option for you, and if not, long-term rentals even in rural areas are a good option.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:25 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
I tend to buy well used trucks and stuff due to price. Need to rethink that instinct since this is for the "long haul".

https://www.airstream.com/touring-coaches/ Suckers costs as much as a house in most areas.
No argument here. I own a competitor's Sprinter conversion. List price was $140k, Airstream charges a premium for the Interstate Nineteen at $152k.

Both models are very well-appointed, though, and easy enough for this 65 year old woman to operate.

People ask me about my coach all the time. They usually say, "I wanted one of those...until I found out how much they cost."

It's saved me a bundle on hotel and restaurant prices, though.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:18 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
No argument here. I own a competitor's Sprinter conversion. List price was $140k, Airstream charges a premium for the Interstate Nineteen at $152k.

Both models are very well-appointed, though, and easy enough for this 65 year old woman to operate.

People ask me about my coach all the time. They usually say, "I wanted one of those...until I found out how much they cost."

It's saved me a bundle on hotel and restaurant prices, though.
Alternatively (for the 'Practical and unimpressive RVs?') My mom picked up her RT 190 (Dodge 350) for <$10k at an estate sale. She used it for 10 yrs and sold for $13k, then bought a Rialta for $12k and resold for $17k after 7 yrs (Needed handicap and scooter access for double amputee DH)

You can run the spreadsheet cost analysis for different vehicles and modes.

I run most trips through my spreadsheet that includes fly / drive + Guest homes; Hotels; +MH (10 MPG) & campsites; +Rialta ((18 - 20 mpg); +50 mpg Passat wagon / stealth camping (It has outdoor shower and HW heater). AT the moment we usually "Fly / Drive" due to free companion pass (140 free flights last yr). Next yr is intl, followed by a year in the 20 mpg Rialta. I really like the option of leaving the Rialta (mini MH) at or near an airport and flying off somewhere (usually international) for a couple months. Tuscon has $3/ day parking!

Any of the camper conversions has 'cult' like following and people are really interested in your rig and lifestyle. That was true 40 yrs ago traveling by Westy... and oh so many war stories / adventures (for the 'Practical and unimpressive RVs?')

Old 05-15-2019, 10:11 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Look at "Park Model"(s). This is in between a mobile home and a motor home. You have someone move it for you, but it is made to be moved from time to time. Less permanent than a mobile home, nicer than a motorhome.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:15 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Quote:

[/i]A big plus for trailers is that you don't have to take the whole "house" when you want to run local errands.
T.
Either you tow a trailer/5th wheel with a truck and drive around in the truck, or you tow a car with a motor-home and drive around in the car. I do not think any full-timers drive their home to the store or doctors office on a regular basis. Maybe in some class B or small Cs or just a conversion van. But very few people live in those.

Some people just have a cricket (fold up golf cart) mounted on a platform on the back of their motor-home. I would not want to do that full time. it is too limiting.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:40 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Maybe in some class B or small Cs or just a conversion van. But very few people live in those.
It's tough. I've tried it. "Van Life" people say, "Oh, you're not going to spend all day in your van," but I have to do at least some work every day that I can't do sitting at a picnic table or on a rock.

When I'm on the road I will happily spend a night in the van and get up early the next morning to make breakfast and a hot beverage. It's nice to be able to do that at 4 am if I want.

A homeowner a few blocks away has a Freightliner Super C, I'm guessing at least 34 feet long. I dream about all the things I could do with a monster like that. Talk about comfort. But this is neither practical or unimpressive.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:30 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,968,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
It's tough. I've tried it. "Van Life" people say, "Oh, you're not going to spend all day in your van," but I have to do at least some work every day that I can't do sitting at a picnic table or on a rock.

When I'm on the road I will happily spend a night in the van and get up early the next morning to make breakfast and a hot beverage. It's nice to be able to do that at 4 am if I want.

A homeowner a few blocks away has a Freightliner Super C, I'm guessing at least 34 feet long. I dream about all the things I could do with a monster like that. Talk about comfort. But this is neither practical or unimpressive.
I think 34' is below average in motorhome length. Unless the C is for Class C.

I like the window area and visibility of Class A. My neck is partially plated and is less maneuverable than it used to be. But finding Class A's below 30' is problematic. Plus I could tow my Jeep.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:54 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,089,978 times
With a class B van, you keep a lot of options open, such as staying in a hotel occasionally to shower and do laundry while have a place to relax. Like Stealth Rabbit mentioned, you can also park at an airport when the need arises. You can also visit people and leave it parked where any other car could normally park. While you have to make sure everything is secured before driving off, it would be one second nature to keep things put away so there wouldn’t be a significant amount to deal with each time you want to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing