Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 06:31 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,968,632 times

Advertisements

Been considering places to move to with earnest. Today I had an "ah ha" experience. Why go through the hassle and expense of moving. Why not - just travel once a month or so?

This strikes me as a practical alternative to moving and quite possibly being stuck with a bad situation due to neighbors, crime, corrupt government, water shortage, poor services, etc.

Things I have learned over and over again? Do not make people jealous! Buy quality and practicality that lasts.

I'm a single 60 year old that always has my favorite dog with me. Always. Clearly don't need a 26' motor home.

RVs? Wow - so many hundreds of options. Currently using a vintage pop up Hallmark camper on my truck. That is fine and very practical when one already has a truck. But for a person who plans to travel a LOT? Something much larger and nicer seems attractive.

Figuring diesel for mpg and longevity. Thinking about 16' is roomy yet easy to pull. Something that should last for 20 years with care. Something of quality yet doesn't get noticed too much. Something that can be driven 30,000 miles/year without breaking the bank or causing fuel shortages. Something that hardly gets noticed.

Thanks in advance for muscling through all that!

Last edited by ColoGuy; 05-11-2019 at 06:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 07:43 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
Look into the Class B vans and small Class C's.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:11 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Been considering places to move to with earnest.
Why go through the hassle and expense of moving. Why not - just travel once a month or so?
Agreed. Look for VRBO & furnished sublets IN the town you're considering.
Spend your time right in the mix of things there rather than in some campground 10 miles away.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Look into the Class B vans and small Class C's.
Looking now thanks. Would have expected older Class C's to be much cheaper than older Class A's. That is not holding true at all - so far.

For me - a small Class A may be best - if they exist. Class C's are basically x-large truck campers. The truck camper sticking out lowers the visibility on my truck. The right mirrors would help that to some degree.

Some designs prove to be timeless - such as Airstream trailers.

I tend to buy well used trucks and stuff due to price. Need to rethink that instinct since this is for the "long haul".

https://www.airstream.com/touring-coaches/ Suckers costs as much as a house in most areas.

Last edited by ColoGuy; 05-12-2019 at 06:04 AM..

Old 05-12-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Agreed. Look for VRBO & furnished sublets IN the town you're considering.
Spend your time right in the mix of things there rather than in some campground 10 miles away.

You and I see things differently. I love nature - dislike cities. I call city errands - trips into hell in fact.

Old 05-12-2019, 06:16 AM

I'm also about 6'5". But accommodating that is an mpg killer. Lots of compromising seems to be in order.

This is contingent on a home sale going through tomorrow - Monday - 5/13. At least this helps take my mind off of that.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:44 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
You and I see things differently.
Not really.
I read your post to be about using the RV to aid in a relocating decision... not just a weekend away here and there.

But if the desire is to relocate outside of the cities... my basic advice stands.
Even if you may end up near the top of some remote ridge line.

Look to rent a furnished spot in the back country towns near those ridge lines as you search for land.
If you already owned an RV is one thing but to buy one for this sort of exercise? Not so much.
Good luck in your efforts.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Not really.
I read your post to be about using the RV to aid in a relocating decision... not just a weekend away here and there.

But if the desire is to relocate outside of the cities... my basic advice stands.
Even if you may end up near the top of some remote ridge line.

Look to rent a furnished spot in the back country towns near those ridge lines as you search for land.
If you already owned an RV is one thing but to buy one for this sort of exercise? Not so much.
Good luck in your efforts.
You sound like you read something prior to the "ah ha" experience mentioned in post #1. Why move when one can live in a mobile home and travel a great deal.

Right now I only have to be here every couple weeks. After this pending home sale I could travel - a lot. There is no substitute for actually visiting an area either - in case one likes an area enough to settle down.

I've been spending $10,000 year on property taxes. Then there is home maintenance. Fines for necessary repairs to a home without Ingsoc approval. Which necessitated the home sale - another subject of course. I could travel a lot with that money.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:51 AM

At this moment in time - a Class B Sprinter seems quite attractive indeed.

Old 05-12-2019, 11:10 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Quote:
You and I see things differently. I love nature - dislike cities. I call city errands - trips into hell in fact.
There are rentals in remote, secluded places, including off-the-grid cabins. Not all rentals are in cities or towns. Some of them are even inexpensive to rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing