Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 02:39 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times

Advertisements

The husband and I are camping at the Dry Tortugas National Park in December and I was wondering if there were any tips on things to take.

Everything we take in, we take out including trash and we have to take all water with us. No electricity.

Because it is early December, no bugs, mild nightly temps, it gets dark by 5:30PM.

We are only camping two nights, and we have to take a boat to get there.

Thanks for any and all advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 02:44 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Take a luggable loo and a couple of fully charged LED lanterns. Take dehydrated food and a backpacking stove. The received wisdom is that the minimum amount of water to take is 1 gallon per person per day for all uses. If you’re going in by boat, you can take a lot more than that. And a sleeping bag and mattress pad, maybe a tent. You’re essentially going backpacking without having to carry it all on your back.

BTW, spending two nights under those conditions is hardly what I’d call extreme camping. Sounds like a great get-away to me!

Old 05-22-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Take a luggable loo and a couple of fully charged LED lanterns. Take dehydrated food and a backpacking stove. The received wisdom is that the minimum amount of water to take is 1 gallon per person per day for all uses. If you’re going in by boat, you can take a lot more than that. And a sleeping bag and mattress pad, maybe a tent. You’re essentially going backpacking without having to carry it all on your back.

BTW, spending two nights under those conditions is hardly what I’d call extreme camping. Sounds like a great get-away to me!
We can take as much water as we want, but the weight limit is 60 pounds per person for other stuff. Since it is a national park and a deserted island (Dry Tortugas National Park), they do require a tent so I'm already taking a tent and air mattress. I'm taking at least a case of the one gallon jugs (six gallons).

They have self composting toilets that are to be used only when the ferry is not at the island. The ferry also has showers and toilets the campers are to use.

I also wanted to take one of those portable showers to rinse off from the salt water.

We are taking are good beach chairs because they don't weigh anything and will be taking food to grill (self starting charcoal). There are grills and picnic tables at each campsite.

The LED lanterns are a great idea! Love it.

They tell you to take extra supplies in case the ferry can't make it back due to weather so I think extra water and a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter should cover that.

Coffee, frying pan for eggs, tequila, stuff like that is what I'm thinking of.

This is a bucket list trip for me and for our 20th wedding anniversary.

To me, being on a deserted island, 70 miles from mainland US, with no electricity is extreme camping!

Trying to make it glamping.

Thanks so much for your input!

Old 05-22-2019, 06:01 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Again, take a look at backpacking equipment. Many backpacking sites will have detailed checklists of things to take. 120 pounds that doesn't include water is just gobs of weight. Your main concern is what kind of food to bring. You could probably fit in a smaller ice cooler, for a few items like meat, but I wouldn't count on it keeping your food safe for more than 24 hours.

You don't sound as if you'll be using this equipment a lot in the future, so develop a list and look for used equipment on eBay or craigslist. You'll only need one change of clothes, and rain suits can be very lightweight.

Another thought is to go car camping a time or three this summer with that 120 pounds of stuff. Or just backyard camping! If you do a couple dry runs, you will quickly discover what is truly important to you to bring within your weight limits. For instance, if it were me, I'd insist on binoculars and a bird book and night sky guide, and skip the cooler and fresh food, because I could have the steak dinner when I'm back on the mainland. A truly dark night sky is hard to come by, and I would take full advantage of the opportunity. (Stargazing with binoculars is a thing, just google it.) But it's YOUR treat and you will have to make these calls for yourself.

You know, I'm pretty excited on your behalf!

Old 05-22-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Again, take a look at backpacking equipment. Many backpacking sites will have detailed checklists of things to take. 120 pounds that doesn't include water is just gobs of weight. Your main concern is what kind of food to bring. You could probably fit in a smaller ice cooler, for a few items like meat, but I wouldn't count on it keeping your food safe for more than 24 hours.

You don't sound as if you'll be using this equipment a lot in the future, so develop a list and look for used equipment on eBay or craigslist. You'll only need one change of clothes, and rain suits can be very lightweight.

Another thought is to go car camping a time or three this summer with that 120 pounds of stuff. Or just backyard camping! If you do a couple dry runs, you will quickly discover what is truly important to you to bring within your weight limits. For instance, if it were me, I'd insist on binoculars and a bird book and night sky guide, and skip the cooler and fresh food, because I could have the steak dinner when I'm back on the mainland. A truly dark night sky is hard to come by, and I would take full advantage of the opportunity. (Stargazing with binoculars is a thing, just google it.) But it's YOUR treat and you will have to make these calls for yourself.

You know, I'm pretty excited on your behalf!
Aww! Thank you!

We've camped a ton and camping in South Florida this summer isn't going to happen, TOO hot!

We do have a bunch of equipment, we just haven't used it in a long time. We've actually camped all over the US tent camping and RV.

The dry food will not happen, we can buy ice on the ferry when it comes back and I've done camping enough to understand how to freeze and thaw.

The backpacking check list is a GREAT idea!

I appreciate all of you input so much! I'll keep updating this thread.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:02 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,968,632 times
Experienced backpackers can easily spend a month hiking and living with the contents of a 65 pound backpack. It is always critical to stay warm and dry with water and food. Bugs can be a particular problem in some remote locations. So - sunscreen and bug repellent? That TSA does not confiscate.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:25 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
For something that is easy to cook at camp but tastier and more varied than commercial freeze-dried or dehydrated meals, cook your own entree, dehydrate it, and vacuum-bag it.

I made a spaghetti sauce with meat and finely cut veggies, dehydrated it into a sort of “leather”, and vacuum-bagged it. Because I do not trust home-grade vacuum sealers to seal as well as industrial sealers, I promptly stored the bag in the freezer until it was time to leave for our trip.

The bag, wrapped in newspaper wrapped in a plastic bag, rode in an iced cooler for the 7-hr drive to a car campground. The next morning, it got transferred to the hatch compartment of a sea kayak, where it remained until we set up a boonie camp along a lakeshore. THEN the still-cold package was opened and heated up, along with a pot of boiling water for the (dry) pasta. YUM!

I second the suggestion to bring binocs. You have a chance to see unusual wildlife on land and at sea, and if you go during or around a new moon on clear nights, the night sky should be beautifully dark. If the area is far from your home, it would be useful to bring a star guide or a planisphere.

If it was me going (and your destination IS one I would like to visit), I’d also bring topo maps and a compass.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Experienced backpackers can easily spend a month hiking and living with the contents of a 65 pound backpack. It is always critical to stay warm and dry with water and food. Bugs can be a particular problem in some remote locations. So - sunscreen and bug repellent? That TSA does not confiscate.
Sunscreen is already a yes as we live in South Florida. No flying, biting bugs on this island, it is too small and too remote, 70 miles from the US. Very little vegetation. No mosquitos at all.

Not flying so no need to deal with TSA.

I don't think warm is an issue but DRY definitely is!

Thanks for your ideas!

Old 05-23-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
For something that is easy to cook at camp but tastier and more varied than commercial freeze-dried or dehydrated meals, cook your own entree, dehydrate it, and vacuum-bag it.

I made a spaghetti sauce with meat and finely cut veggies, dehydrated it into a sort of “leather”, and vacuum-bagged it. Because I do not trust home-grade vacuum sealers to seal as well as industrial sealers, I promptly stored the bag in the freezer until it was time to leave for our trip.

The bag, wrapped in newspaper wrapped in a plastic bag, rode in an iced cooler for the 7-hr drive to a car campground. The next morning, it got transferred to the hatch compartment of a sea kayak, where it remained until we set up a boonie camp along a lakeshore. THEN the still-cold package was opened and heated up, along with a pot of boiling water for the (dry) pasta. YUM!

I second the suggestion to bring binocs. You have a chance to see unusual wildlife on land and at sea, and if you go during or around a new moon on clear nights, the night sky should be beautifully dark. If the area is far from your home, it would be useful to bring a star guide or a planisphere.

If it was me going (and your destination IS one I would like to visit), I’d also bring topo maps and a compass.
Since we are only spending two nights, I will not go to the trouble to freeze dry anything.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a ton of shrimp in marinade then freeze that and let it slack out in the cooler and grill on skewers. Corn on the cob, sweet potatoes.

We are vegetarians so no meat.

Breakfast will probably be hard boiled eggs and lunch vegetarian hotdogs on the grill.

Binoculars are such a great idea!

Will not need topo maps as the area is less than two acres and sea level.

Thanks so much for your input!

Old 05-24-2019, 12:21 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
I've camped there, just one night. Don't over think it. It will be lousy during the day when the day trippers are there, but once they leave, it gets great. Binos are good, or a spotting scope. On one side of the island there is a smaller island with lots of nesting birds, they can be seen in swarms above the island, and the frigate birds that mob them. Snorkeling masks are good too, and a night strong torch... not so much for getting around, but walking around the moat at night one can see great stuff in the lagoon... I saw spiny lobsters, a small octopus, etc. Oh, if you're photo person, a tripod is recommended for long night exposure shots. The lack of light pollution is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post

This island is tiny. There is no topography and no way to get lost. One can see right across it, except for the fort walls, which takes up the majority of the footprint.

Oh, if you're a sea sickness type, bring something for it. It can get choppy and plenty of people had, uh, issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing