Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 05:27 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times

Advertisements

The Predator 3500 inverter weighs 115 pounds.
The Honda EU2200i weighs 47 pounds

I googled, tests were done using Honda EU2200i/Honda EU2000i/Yamaha sc2000i generators to power 13,500 btu A/C
Sounds like a 5000 btu A/C can be powered by these generators.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnVMRRoCbfE

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...Z1gDcMQ4dUDCAo

If the Honda EU2000i is overloaded at the A/C coldest setting, you could buy two used EU2000i which have been cared for, & run them in parallel with the parallel cord kit setup.https://www.bing.com/search?q=two%20...-US&v=1.4.27.0

Some of the used EU2000i generators have been modified with a gas shut off valve installed so old gas doesn't sit in the fuel line, carb & float bowl. You turn gas valve off, let generator run until out of gas.
Use non-Ethanol gasoline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2019, 05:40 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Some opinions EU2000i gen vs. A/C.
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...Z1gDcMQ4dUDCAo

Old 11-29-2019, 02:38 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
so if it helps, I am looking at this tear drop trailer, notice it has an AC unit. reason I need a small tear drop is maneuverability when I get in tight camping spots. I AM DISPERSED CAMPING not campground. so i need to go offroad and stuff.
im not seeing a generator on this tear drop trailer, but it has a cooler and AC as well.

https://nucamprv.com/tag-trailer/
Another you-tuber you might want to look at - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5L...wZEnFsXA3TOx-g

He tows a little A-liner, and has made some interesting mods. Doesn't have an A/C though.

Old 11-29-2019, 06:04 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,366,715 times
"so how do these bigger RVs with generators run AC if they are not allowed on campgrounds? "....as mentioned in post 2 & 3 above, we stated that in campgrounds there is no reason to run a generator, adequate power is provided by the campground to run everything on the RV. Generators are mostly used for "boondocking"....RV lingo for your "dispersed camping" term.....or other than campground camping, where utilities are furnished as part of the fee you pay to park.
Before you purchase an RV, spend considerable time on the various RV forums on the internet, reading and asking questions.

Regards
Gemstone1 (former fulltime RV'er)

Old 11-29-2019, 08:54 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,684,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"so how do these bigger RVs with generators run AC if they are not allowed on campgrounds? "....as mentioned in post 2 & 3 above, we stated that in campgrounds there is no reason to run a generator, adequate power is provided by the campground to run everything on the RV. Generators are mostly used for "boondocking"....RV lingo for your "dispersed camping" term.....or other than campground camping, where utilities are furnished as part of the fee you pay to park.
Before you purchase an RV, spend considerable time on the various RV forums on the internet, reading and asking questions.

Regards
Gemstone1 (former fulltime RV'er)
I am new to RVing so my experience is limited. Saying that I have stayed at a few out in the middle of nowhere campgrounds without hookups. They all had restriction on what hours you can run them, basically not at night. I never seen any of the bigger 50A RVs there.

I have a 4450W max with a 3550W running generator that has a 30A RV plug so it runs my 24' TT like it is plugged in at a RV park.

I did see a couple people that used 2 smaller generators that they could hook up together so it could run their entire RV. On the hot days they would just run one of them to power the AC. Then if they wanted to use anything else they would have to run both generators.

With a generator the main thing is to ignore the max(start up) Watts # because it is kinda worthless. You need to focus on the running watts because it is what you really have available to use. Also a surge protector is very important so you don't burn anything out. My generator has one built in but I still also use the one I use at RV parks.

I took a little over a year of researching TTs before I chose the one I have. One of the bigger things for me was how much weight you can actually carry in it. Most of the smaller ones can only carry a few 100 pounds. Thats not much food/water if you plan on boondocking/camping out in the middle of nowhere for very long once you figure in your cloths and other possessions.

Old 11-29-2019, 09:52 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,684,790 times
One other important thing I noticed when running the generator on hot days. Not sure if all have this option but I know my TT does. Unplug the tv and its accessories from the battery(12V) and plug them into the 110V the generator is supplying.

That way your battery(s) are getting charged while putting out less power.

Old 12-01-2019, 02:51 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
Hey all, so I am in the market for a camper. I noticed many of these campers come with lights, water and a small AC unit. question is, how the heck do these AC units run on just 2 deep cycle batteries. im looking at small campers and I dont believe they come with generators.

im guessing they run at 5 amps @ 115V so to be safe, say 700 watts these AC units run at.

1 deep cycle batter say at 100 amp hours @ 12V which provides 100 amps for 1 hour right so about 1200 watts? then 50 amps 2nd hour and so on.

wouldnt the AC unit be dead within 3 or so hours?

sorry not sure if my calculation is correct but i just dont get how these things run all night unless they have some kind of special battery I am not aware of

do you guys run ac or heater all night with just a few deep cycle batteries?
I have a Casita with a AC unit. It will not run on batteries.

It runs just fine with a Honda 2000. Larger trailers have larger air conditioning units and require a larger generator.

I try to avoid running the heater at night. It just wakes you up as it cycles on and off.

Get a warmer blanket.

Old 12-05-2019, 06:59 AM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Good advice here. I have two Ryobis strung together for the AC. The AC is much louder than the gennies so great for taking midday naps when it is hot. The heater is propane as is the fridge/freezer. A really small AC can be ran off a smaller genset but you might be resetting breakers if you forget and try to run anything else. It's like a car with a small engine and it will be running HARD at full throttle and max volume.

Old 12-05-2019, 06:52 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
We had a Casita 17 that had a factory installed AC. It worked fine when the trailer was plugged into the campground supply. I would have found the noise of a generator annoying, but other folks don't mind it. We stayed in a NF campground in Jackson Hole WY that had generator and non-generator sections.

Our furnace burned propane and 12v was enough to run the blower fan. We no reason to travel to anyplace that was cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing