Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 02:01 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,908,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Jasper, you always ask me the hard, obvious questions, lol.

I will use freecampsites.net mainly I think. Also America the Beautiful senior pass. And, as you mentioned, Army Corp of Engineers. There's a couple more that I can't remember off the top of my head. If I have to I will pay for a night or so at a campsite but, another reason for using my car, the Cube is not a car you would think someone was sleeping in so I will probably do some stealth parking also.

I haven't been formulating my plans right now as I'm concentrating on moving out of my apartment and how I'm going to do that. Actually, when I'm going to do that. I'm stuck in the same situation all of us are at the moment.

Once I get back to Minnesota I will be able to plan more.

Actually, Jasper, my $800 savings is probably conservative. There are a few things I need, a portable power station, like a Jackary but each month I buy something for traveling. That will definitely slow down.

And I'll probably do as Stealthrabbit suggests and get a minivan or suv. I'm thinking if I get a cabana type item, like the Clam, that would be sufficient for outdoor living space. The Dodge Caravan has had some good reviews and I will have the Cube as a trade-in also.
The reason I asked is there are some people that think they will save a lot of money by living on the road and find out once they pay for all the expenses, it cost more.

However, if you boondock and go stealth then you can save big time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 09:47 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
I know what you're saying. I learned during the recession how to be frugal.I was laid off at the age of 55 and unable to find any type of employment that was even close to what I'd been doing for years - community development. I think employers were skeptical that I would accept a lower paying job.

Frugality became a way of life and how I existed, with the help of family, especially after losing my house. Seven long years. But, it brought back the things I did to save and survive when I was young and just starting out.

Since I've always loved to cook I seldom went to restaurants. Up until the Cube, I bought older cars from reliable sources and always paid cash. Actually, I paid cash for the Cube too.

I just don't spend a lot. From reviewing utube videos, it seems to me that it's the people who buy motor homes/class a's that are the real spenders. And they've saved for them and deserve whatever enjoyment they derive from the lifestyle. But that's not in my plans.

As I'm doing now, I will live a low profile life. I've been doing a lot of researching these last couple of years. I think I'm going to fit in much better with boondocking nomads as opposed to rv park folk. I'll find out when I get back to Arizona this fall.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:55 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,807,558 times
Quote:
Oh, yes-it begins in Minnesota I believe but, the two times I've driven from Minnesota to Arizona, I didn't go anywhere near the Mississippi river. My start point, and where I'll be going back to, is Fergus Falls, MN.

I went through North Dakota, then South Dakota and on down. I think this time I will go through Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri and then up. To be on the safe side I will probably overnight in Walmart parking lots or truck stops. It'll only be two nights.

I haven't mapped everything out yet.
I’d certainly urge you to see the Mississippi sometime because it’s quite an amazing sight and it’s so intense, having all that water move past you. It’s not really hard to find safe places to camp there and MO Conservation Areas usually have some free camp spots. In fact I’ve never seen an easier state to boondock in. You can usually tell quickly if a place is dicey and I would never pick out a campsite after dark unless I had no choice. Once it gets dark, and you’re not sure where you’re going to sleep, Walmart or a truck stop is safest.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:49 AM

I agree, stepka. Most, if not all, of the videos I've watched have emphasized finding your camping spot in daylight. And actually, I don't drive at night anymore.

Being retired, I've found that I like to get up early and go to sleep early, so it would work out fine for me to find sleeping arrangements before dark.

I am going to have to check out the Mississippi. I think it was slim potato head who did a series on traveling its length. It's been awhile since I watched it so not sure but the traveling was fascinating.

Old 04-17-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I am going to have to check out the Mississippi. I think it was slim potato head who did a series on traveling its length. It's been awhile since I watched it so not sure but the traveling was fascinating.
I would love to do that, and I know at least free camp places that are not that far apart. Chester, IL has quite a large lot right by the river and it’s a neat town in a beautiful part of southern IL. Some of the campgrounds are also run by Army Corps. Also, it’s near Fort Kaskaskia, which has an interesting history.

I wanted to tell you all that my situation has changed and I had to leave the farm due to them expecting some people coming in and they seemed just a little more lax than I am about distancing so I left and camped by the Mississippi for a few days while I looked for a small apt but nothing suited and then a friend offered to let me use his old RV for however long I need it so I’m doing that. If I stay more than a month I’ll pay rent but for now I’m cleaning it really good.

Van life has gotten way more risky and the biggest problem is the water situation. I have facilities for seven gallons of water and I used to refill them at Walmart for cheap but I don’t think you can do that anymore so I buy gallon jugs. Another thing though is that now with planet fitness closed, I can’t get my shower so I have to bathe in the van and I’m cooking more which uses more water and next thing you know, I’m having to go out in public more than I’m comfortable with, just to get water.

Except for that though, van life has many charms.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Might want to build a rain-water-collection system to attach to the van (tarp formed into a tunnel).

Showers... burr. I remember my many 'showers' in the Yellowstone River, with the morning steam / fog rising off the water. Thus I LUV my Motoraid HW heater in van. (and outdoor shower).

My hardcore motorcycle friends have compact solar showers they pack.

How do you get electricity to keep stuff charged?
What about refrigeration? (Sorry if I have missed your previous details)

Old 04-18-2020, 07:48 AM

Stepka, it's too bad you had to leave the farm. I know you were enjoying it.

One thing I bought was 4-pack of large wipes, 254 wipes total, when they were on sale, prior to the virus threat. I haven't opened any yet as I'm saving them for travel but I have a feeling it will be one of my best buys.

I'm planning on buying a Berkey water infiltration system once I have a larger vehicle. It would take up way too much room now. But, if a person could afford it and had room, that might solve some of the water problems. That and cleansing wipes would help.

It sounds like some places may be re-opening soon, from what I gather from the news. I think it's pretty much a wait and see at this point but, maybe Planet Fitness will re-open soon.

Best of luck on your travels. I'll be leaving here sometime in May, unless I can get everything done by the end of April. According to the news, Goodwill is re-opening here in Arizona so I will be able to drop off what the homeless group won't be able to use, mainly clothes. Then I have to set up a date for the pickup of my furniture, rent a storage unit, find people to move what I decide to keep into the unit, get my car seats removed and stored before I can leave.

The next few days should bring more things into perspective.

I'm not willing to risk my health over money. If I have to pay one more months rent and leave before the month is over, that's fine. I just want to make sure the people that I ask to help me are safe also. Rushing at this point does not make sense.

I'd also like to meet with the manager of the homeless group to discuss what they need before I give anything to the thrift store. I've got some things I've never even used, towel sets, extra linens, etc. which I brought with me when I moved here that I will be giving to them. I know they'll be able to use them.

It's the glassware, pyrex, dishes, etc that I'm not sure of. I know I won't be traveling with any glass or any breakable items and have been collecting a few Corel items for dishes.

So it's a waiting game now to make sure it's safe to do these things.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Stepka, it's too bad you had to leave the farm. I know you were enjoying it.

One thing I bought was 4-pack of large wipes, 254 wipes total, when they were on sale, prior to the virus threat. I haven't opened any yet as I'm saving them for travel but I have a feeling it will be one of my best buys.

I'm planning on buying a Berkey water infiltration system once I have a larger vehicle. It would take up way too much room now. But, if a person could afford it and had room, that might solve some of the water problems. That and cleansing wipes would help.

It sounds like some places may be re-opening soon, from what I gather from the news. I think it's pretty much a wait and see at this point but, maybe Planet Fitness will re-open soon.

Best of luck on your travels. I'll be leaving here sometime in May, unless I can get everything done by the end of April. According to the news, Goodwill is re-opening here in Arizona so I will be able to drop off what the homeless group won't be able to use, mainly clothes. Then I have to set up a date for the pickup of my furniture, rent a storage unit, find people to move what I decide to keep into the unit, get my car seats removed and stored before I can leave.

The next few days should bring more things into perspective.

I'm not willing to risk my health over money. If I have to pay one more months rent and leave before the month is over, that's fine. I just want to make sure the people that I ask to help me are safe also. Rushing at this point does not make sense.

I'd also like to meet with the manager of the homeless group to discuss what they need before I give anything to the thrift store. I've got some things I've never even used, towel sets, extra linens, etc. which I brought with me when I moved here that I will be giving to them. I know they'll be able to use them.

It's the glassware, pyrex, dishes, etc that I'm not sure of. I know I won't be traveling with any glass or any breakable items and have been collecting a few Corel items for dishes.

So it's a waiting game now to make sure it's safe to do these things.
I don’t mind leaving the farm...the people were very kind and I think the world of them but we never really connected into a strong friendship. I do hope to keep in touch with them and i love their little kiddos. In a few days I’m headed up to Hannibal to live in a cabin set right in the Mississippi River on stilts and all I have to pay is electric and I’ve been there before so I know what I’m getting into. There is also the possibility of rekindling a romance with the owner of the cabin so I’m feeling really good about it. If the romance does not work out then i can always come back to the RV and pay rent to live here so life is good right now.

You mentioned about having room in the vehicle and that’s another issue I’m having. I buy about a months worth of groceries at a time, or at least I did at the beginning of this and there is a lot less room in the van for me and that makes it difficult. I killed a roach in there yesterday, which I had never seen before so now my van is full of roach traps.

About wet wipes...they keep me fresh for about an hour, so I regard them as a temporary measure on the staying clean scale. In a pinch though, you can clean up the smelly parts with one cup or less even of water but it still goes quickly at that rate and if I don’t wash my hair often it goes flat and looks like I don’t have any. My saving grace is that it’s fluffy. Washing my hair takes at least a half gallon.

I liked Stealth’s idea about capturing rainwater but that would require another purchase, but then I guess there is always the River lol. However, this RV feels like a palace to me but I’m glad I don’t have to haul it around. I simply cannot imagine doing so.

I do carry some glass. I have several canning jars for various purposes. One is my designated coffee cup and others I use for storage or eating out of and they also make pretty decent measuring cups. They pass what I call the “multiple use test” which is important when space is at a premium.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:21 AM

I still have so much to learn! Every time you and other van-dwellers share something of your daily lives, I learn something new.

I've read a lot about the Berkey, how you can use water from anywhere and purify it. I would think a person could take water from the river that way.

Sometimes I like to read about the pioneers and learn how they did things, then imagine myself in that situation. It helps me put things in perspective.

I'll probably keep a couple coffee cups. My favorite ones I bought at the dollar store so it wouldn't bother me if I broke them. I'll probably also keep my large measuring cup. It's pyrex and pretty sturdy.

The things I want to give away are bowls, which I have a lot of, glass pans, which are pyrex and heavy, etc. Actually, except for one heavy soup pan which I've had since I was pregnant with my son, so over 45 years, I plan on giving away anything that is heavy.

What I think I will have the most trouble parting with is my clothes. I was pretty glad I had kept my sweatshirts and sweat pants when I moved here because Arizona can get downright cold in the winter. I haven't worn my fleece lined leggings much but assume I will in a vehicle.

It's the t-shirts I'll have trouble parting with. I know I don't need even half of what I have but I like all of them. So, for the time being, a lot will go into the storage unit until I decide.

I'm trying to decide what to keep in regards to furniture. I was going to get rid of my desk, which is ushaped but pretty light. Then I saw a couple who bought something like it and made it into their kitchen cabinets. I could do that with what I have. I have one of those plastic 3-drawer units which fits perfectly under it. I could get one more of those and call it my kitchen.

I'm going to store anything that I can use later and wait until I get a larger vehicle to decide what has to go then. The one thing I don't want to do is give away something and then have to buy a replacement later. The smallest unit I can rent is a 5 x 7 and I'll have extra room as the main reason for renting one is for the car seats and the things I've decided to keep for my next vehicle.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:05 PM

Meo you reminded me about something with the clothes. At first I packed all my comfy stuff...sweat pant, t-shirts, boots, etc. But after awhile I began to feel like a schlep, like just not attractive at all and then I lacked confidence to talk to people and began to buy a few nicer things while out on the road like fitted jeans and sparkly shirts and it made a world of difference in my mood. The best purchase I made was one where I had the internal battle that don’t really need this but I love it...it’s a light coat that is baby blue, my best color, and the great thing about it is that it dresses up whatever I happen to be wearing. I can put it on with skanky old sweat pants and instantly look better. So I advise anyone to bring some nicer pieces even if you don’t think you’ll need them because being out on the road is not the exact same as hanging around the house.

Oh and another thing I consider indispensable for the kitchen is a large stainless steel bowl...one of those big kind of shallow ones. I use it to wash dishes in and I used it yesterday to knead a batch of bread in. It comes in handy for so many things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing