Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 09:55 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,393,667 times

Advertisements

We usually do 2 or 3 two-week to one-month road trips a year, with a combination of tent camping and vacation rentals. The next one was supposed to be in August - Wyoming, and Montana, but obviously, with Covid-19, we have to consider our options.

Even if travel and stay-at-home legal restrictions are lifted or eased, I feel one should still consider the obvious issues of the possible impact on local communities as well as potentially putting strain on healthcare systems and health workers in the case of an accident or unforeseen health issues.

What are other campers thinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 05:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,780 posts, read 58,251,797 times
true...

Be considerate of others (Wear a mask, keep your distance, be safe)
You can be extra diligent to NOT cause / be in an accident or have a health crisis, BUT... you cannot control 100% (even at home).

Calculate your risks and GO (as you feel safe / comfortable.

Many will be out and about and NOT being careful.

I would go to more 'remote' locations (WY and MT will qualify)
I would consider this; YMMV... - Spend money at local businesses (as you travel). NOT stocking up at Walmart or Costco, and purposely supporting local businesses and communities. Spend a few extra buck and spread it around.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:35 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,510,683 times
Some of our favorite more local campgrounds are open now, but we'll stick to 2-3 hours away, for 2-3 days this summer. They are well spaced apart and woodsy, so easy to keep distance, and just wear masks when fishing on a pier and others are there. Our plans for a 2 week trip of 14 hours each way will have to wait a year.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:16 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,413,079 times
we have had to rearrange our schedule a bit but have not cancelled our plans altogether for this summer's RV camping. Some campgrounds were closed (some still are) and some had restrictions on who could visit you while there.
I just yesterday called 2 of the campgrounds we are going to in June and they are 'business as usual' now. One in Arkansas and one in Oklahoma.

Old 05-09-2020, 09:47 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,737,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
We usually do 2 or 3 two-week to one-month road trips a year, with a combination of tent camping and vacation rentals. The next one was supposed to be in August - Wyoming, and Montana, but obviously, with Covid-19, we have to consider our options.

Even if travel and stay-at-home legal restrictions are lifted or eased, I feel one should still consider the obvious issues of the possible impact on local communities as well as potentially putting strain on healthcare systems and health workers in the case of an accident or unforeseen health issues.

What are other campers thinking?
Thank you for actually considering the possible impact on places you hope to visit.

I am maintaining a wait-and-see attitude before camping or hoteling anywhere, even within my own county. Not only do I not want to spread the virus IF I am an asymptomatic carrier, I don’t want to catch it from another traveler whom I might cross paths with—which could be one of the many travelers who have been coming here from high-infection states.

Some have been making antimask comments as they shop without wearing one, in stores that posted signs saying “Wear a mask.”

“When in Rome, do as the Romans do” applies to the precautions that local jurisdictions recommend or require.

Old 05-10-2020, 11:22 AM

1,131 posts, read 389,324 times
For the last five years, I've gone on the road for 3-4 months for cross country trips. Had a big one planned this summer from FL to Canada through Wisconsin - not gonna happen. I usually spend up to $5k each summer for the trips (gas, maintenance, camping fees, national park admission, concert/festival tickets/attactions,museums, food, etc).

Not this year. Doubt I'll get in anything this year - will use the time to take care of projects on the RV here at home.

Not sense risking getting an illness over this. Hope we get some answers/vaccinations, etc by next summer.

Old 05-10-2020, 12:32 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,854,175 times
Bought a 5th wheel last week. Coachman Catalina. The plan will be trips in the hills. Maybe to the Missouri River in the central part of the state and hopefully a trip to the Bighorn Mountains.

Old 05-10-2020, 02:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,780 posts, read 58,251,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Bought a 5th wheel last week. Coachman Catalina. The plan will be trips in the hills. Maybe to the Missouri River in the central part of the state and hopefully a trip to the Bighorn Mountains.
Don't miss Burgess Jct (Bighorns) My favorite spot in the mtn states. (meadows and lakes nearby)
Nice place to 'retire' for the winter.

Best wishes with the new rig,

How heavy?
How Long?

What is your tow vehicle and engine and tranny?

Old 05-10-2020, 06:31 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,854,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Don't miss Burgess Jct (Bighorns) My favorite spot in the mtn states. (meadows and lakes nearby)
Nice place to 'retire' for the winter.

Best wishes with the new rig,

How heavy?
How Long?

What is your tow vehicle and engine and tranny?
Ultra light 5th wheel. 25 foot with one slide. Pulling with an 2006 F250 with a 6.0 diesel. The weight rating on the 5th wheel is 7500 pounds.

Old 05-10-2020, 07:16 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,527,888 times
We'll be continuing our camping in the near future in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of NE Georgia.

I've never heard of anyone catching Corovid 19 from one of the two bear families that come thru our campground every night looking for pic-a-nic baskets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing