Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 09:48 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times

Advertisements

I got a mosquito repeller that heats a product and creates a “bug free” zone about 10 x 10 that we can use at our campsite
But what do campers find effective against ticks and mosquitos in general

Our dog is on heartworm med and flea/tick but know we will have to check her more closely
Thankfully she is not an active dog—she is 15

We likely won’t do lot of walking around because we aren’t really vacationing—just camping to travel from Dallas to Sarasota for this trip
We hope to do more of it in FL
So mosquito info and gnats/midges too would be helpful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2020, 06:31 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Mosquito: Three things work 1. Deet. 2 Catnip oil. 3. Those off clip ons (which I believe are deet) these only work when there is no wind or very little. Citronella works in a very limited area. If you are outside of the smoke cloud, even your elbow, they will not work. You can find this information if you do about 150 hours of research on the internet and in books. However you will have to figure out how to sort out real science from the snake oil sellers stuff. Nothing else has any signficant impact. Not bats, not mint, not co2 emitters and not bug zappers. However people will still swear these things work for them even though study after study proves they don't.

Tic Peremthin. Or something like that. It is a chemical that you put on your clothing, not on your skin. Nothing else works other than completely sealing every inch of your skin inside protective clothing. No off does nothing against tics even if people claim to have seen it work - it doesn't. Various oils also do not work.

Alternately you can poison them so they do not exist to bite you. For a while, California had helicopters spraying malathion all over the place. Works great, except for the fact that they were malathioning people too.

Old 06-13-2020, 04:01 AM

305 posts, read 241,187 times
I find that the more hot peppers I consume the less bugs want anything to do with me. I do not consume much sugar either so I believe that helps.

Old 06-13-2020, 04:12 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Mosquito: Three things work 1. Deet. 2 Catnip oil. 3. Those off clip ons (which I believe are deet) these only work when there is no wind or very little. Citronella works in a very limited area. If you are outside of the smoke cloud, even your elbow, they will not work. You can find this information if you do about 150 hours of research on the internet and in books. However you will have to figure out how to sort out real science from the snake oil sellers stuff. Nothing else has any signficant impact. Not bats, not mint, not co2 emitters and not bug zappers. However people will still swear these things work for them even though study after study proves they don't.

Tic Peremthin. Or something like that. It is a chemical that you put on your clothing, not on your skin. Nothing else works other than completely sealing every inch of your skin inside protective clothing. No off does nothing against tics even if people claim to have seen it work - it doesn't. Various oils also do not work.

Alternately you can poison them so they do not exist to bite you. For a while, California had helicopters spraying malathion all over the place. Works great, except for the fact that they were malathioning people too.
Deep woods off works pretty well but you still need to wear long sleeves, pants, hat, and tuck your pants into your socks and top into your pants. And you still may get a tick or two. Yes, I know it is Florida, but in some parts of Florida the ticks are terrible. I am in IL now and can actually hike here with less on than I had in the marshy parts of FL.

Old 06-13-2020, 05:38 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubMike View Post
I find that the more hot peppers I consume the less bugs want anything to do with me. I do not consume much sugar either so I believe that helps.
Tequila (taken internally) is highly effective against black flies.

Old 06-13-2020, 06:06 AM

1,066 posts, read 764,653 times
Another Florida critter you will be dealing with is the no-see-um. They are almost invisible but when they land and bite... holy cow they leave itching and welts that last for a while. Ouch! We are just south of Sarasota in Charlotte County and those have hands down been the biggest problem for us here.

The best solution we have found, because they are so tiny they cannot fly in any sort of breeze, is to use fans. I think if you are camped at a site that includes an electrical drop, you might want to consider keeping a few fans that move the air well (with stands) in your gear.

Old 06-13-2020, 07:44 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowilldo View Post
Another Florida critter you will be dealing with is the no-see-um. They are almost invisible but when they land and bite... holy cow they leave itching and welts that last for a while. Ouch! We are just south of Sarasota in Charlotte County and those have hands down been the biggest problem for us here.

The best solution we have found, because they are so tiny they cannot fly in any sort of breeze, is to use fans. I think if you are camped at a site that includes an electrical drop, you might want to consider keeping a few fans that move the air well (with stands) in your gear.
Yes
They can get inside the pool cage at times

Old 06-13-2020, 07:49 AM

562 posts, read 677,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Deep woods off works pretty well but you still need to wear long sleeves, pants, hat, and tuck your pants into your socks and top into your pants. And you still may get a tick or two. Yes, I know it is Florida, but in some parts of Florida the ticks are terrible. I am in IL now and can actually hike here with less on than I had in the marshy parts of FL.
Agree. Keep pants inside your socks and shirt tops and sleeve cuffs buttoned. Ticks jump and can get in places on your body that you wouldn't believe. I have covered myself completely with Deep Woods Off and they still went for my eyes, so you may have to cover your eyes with netting or goggles too. Nothing else worked for me and the catnip oil sounds expensive. I am thinking about making or buying mosquito repellent clothes like they sell at bug shirt.com. Of course, the clothes will not help you when you have to remove them or squat in the woods to...

Last edited by glenninindy; 06-13-2020 at 08:31 AM..

Old 06-13-2020, 09:14 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,352,789 times
Nothing. If you attract them, you attract them. I have bugs bite me through my clothes regularly when I go camping.

I went to Costa Rica and the DEET was useless. My husband and I were eating the same things, putting on the same spray and I ended up eaten alive and he had one bite total for the entire trip.

I have read on some camping forums about consuming a bunch of garlic to keep them away. Worth a shot, I suppose.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:22 AM

562 posts, read 677,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Nothing. If you attract them, you attract them. I have bugs bite me through my clothes regularly when I go camping.

I went to Costa Rica and the DEET was useless. My husband and I were eating the same things, putting on the same spray and I ended up eaten alive and he had one bite total for the entire trip.

I have read on some camping forums about consuming a bunch of garlic to keep them away. Worth a shot, I suppose.
It's worth a shot but I would not eat too much garlic. I heard that if you eat too much of it you can burn your stomach, so be careful. Maybe you could somehow drape mosquito netting over yourself.

Last edited by glenninindy; 06-13-2020 at 09:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing