Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 06:32 PM

36 posts, read 21,796 times

Advertisements

I have spent plenty of time in the woods and have camped before with friends, but I have never went camping by myself. I am looking for camping places with amenities that allow a somewhat normal life and with internet access for work.

It should have these amenities:
Cabin
Showers
It should be low cost
Must have WiFi for working 9-5
Kitchen for cooking (it can be a shared kitchen)
A refrigerator for medication (it can be a shared fridge)
Grocery store within walking distance
They allow people to camp for multiple weeks
There is no need for a car
Not a trailer park
Not a party atmosphere
Not socially isolating
Air conditioning available, or fans, because it is summer
A lock box to store valuables
It should be in the USA

What places are there to stay inexpensively this way without sacrificing too much comfort?

What supplies would I need to purchase before hand?

How much would living like this cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2020, 08:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,742 posts, read 58,090,525 times
This sounds very 'hostel" type, and not common or even possible in much of the USA. (Poor public transportation, strict zoning codes to exclude camping in urban areas, very limited free WiFi)

Alternative...
1) living in a homeless camp
2) workamping. Free sometimes paid.
3) buy a beater minivan $1000, fix it for Camping.
4) pre-pay hotspot.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:53 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,252,541 times
Believe this is the incorrect area to post; sure is not camping and even most RV'ers don't require half of what you are asking for.

Old 07-11-2020, 10:20 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,141,748 times
You could check out some trail towns along the Appalachian Trial. There are a number of places that have hostel-like accommodations that are within walking distance of the town and its amenities.

Old 07-11-2020, 11:41 AM

8,502 posts, read 8,802,096 times
There are rental cabins many places.

This is a chain https://koa.com/ways-to-stay/cabins/
Cabins might be $75/ day, give or take. Some locations have small stores. Check on website and / or call. There may be cheaper by the week. There will be more expensive to way more expensive.

Or Google a location and weekly or monthly cabin. Maybe upstate NY, New Hampshire, VA or NC. Places like Roanoke VA or Boone NC. One search tool: https://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/virginia Checks dozens of options before picking.

Some locations close in winter. Are you talking short-term change or permanent? If you want permanent, search for long-term rentals.

Here are sone link to hostels near Appalachian Trail: https://www.google.com/search?q=appa...obile&ie=UTF-8 Some may shave private rooms available. Be sure of what you are getting.

If you are receiving any state benefits, you may either lose them or have to transfer / reapply. Check rules cautiously.

Maybe there is a location on a bus line but you'll probably need to use taxis.

Think it all thru before you commit. Then run thru it all again. Know your plan B and C If it doesn't work.

Don't trust people you don't know.

I'd suggest don't do it until you are 100% sure it is right thing and everything is all lined up.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-11-2020 at 12:23 PM..

Old 07-11-2020, 02:40 PM

43 posts, read 28,186 times
Sounds like a KOA might be able to provide some of what you need, although I don't know what their stay limit is.

Old 07-11-2020, 04:13 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,141,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolettaDeValery View Post
Sounds like a KOA might be able to provide some of what you need, although I don't know what their stay limit is.
Would probably be way too expensive for what OP's criteria are.

Old 07-11-2020, 04:58 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubjectBook View Post
I have spent plenty of time in the woods and have camped before with friends, but I have never went camping by myself. I am looking for camping places with amenities that allow a somewhat normal life and with internet access for work.

It should have these amenities:
Cabin
Showers
It should be low cost
Must have WiFi for working 9-5
Kitchen for cooking (it can be a shared kitchen)
A refrigerator for medication (it can be a shared fridge)
Grocery store within walking distance
They allow people to camp for multiple weeks
There is no need for a car
Not a trailer park
Not a party atmosphere
Not socially isolating
Air conditioning available, or fans, because it is summer
A lock box to store valuables
It should be in the USA

What places are there to stay inexpensively this way without sacrificing too much comfort?

What supplies would I need to purchase before hand?

How much would living like this cost?
You're asking for the moon.

All those amenities? A very conservative estimate would be $50/night. That's $1500/mo. You might as well rent an apartment.

The cheapest paid camping I know of is on federal lands. $10/night gives you access to a picnic table, a (shared) dumpster, a (shared) water tap, and a (shared) vault toilet. Since these places are often not close to town, wi-fi is a crap shoot. And most federal campgrounds cost more than that, the $10 fee would be for less popular (= less desirable) campgrounds.

More typical public campground rates, at least here in the west, run around $25 tent sites to $50 RV sites with full hookups. And NO public campground I know of will allow you to hog a space indefinitely. The most popular public campground I stayed at recently had a limit of 7 days in every 30. 14 days out of 30 is typical.

Private campgrounds are more expensive. Private RV parks will offer more of the amenities you are looking for, and you can often rent month-by-month for as long as you wish, but of course you'll have to have an RV.

Oregon State Parks offers cabins, yurts, and tepees at some of its parks. Do some research. https://stateparks.oregon.gov/index....e.cabins-yurts

The cheapest way to camp is dispersed camping on public lands in the west. It's free. But you'll have to have at least a car (or if you're very tough, a bicycle) to get there. And if you want air conditioning, you'll have to supply it yourself. Along with the electricity to run it.

If what you are asking for were widely available, there would be a LOT fewer homeless people.

Last edited by jacqueg; 07-11-2020 at 05:07 PM..

Old 07-12-2020, 03:51 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubjectBook View Post
I have spent plenty of time in the woods and have camped before with friends,
I am looking for camping places with amenities that allow a somewhat normal life and with internet access for work.
Your Mom's backyard.

Old 07-12-2020, 04:27 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,519,582 times
You might find most of what you're looking at KOA's or other campgrounds in a camping cabin. But long term rentals are doubtful. And they're not cheap.

And you've got to have transportation to get there. KOA's are not on public transportation routes, and public buses are now so rare.

Maybe you could find a "little house" rental somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing