Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 06:05 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,816,323 times

Advertisements

Some of you know that I’ve been living in my van for the past one and a half years and now I’m back in StL, cat sitting for a friend who is due back from India on Saturday, at which point I will already be gone because I’ve been self isolating for the past ten days and lord knows what she’s bringing home. I can’t stay here and I sold my house so I have no choice but to go back out in my van but I’ve been cooped up so long that I don’t even know what’s going on out there.

I plan to continue isolating but in the woods now I guess, if I can even get into parks. I know I won’t be eating at restaurants and I’d have to go to the grocery store anyway and TG I’m an introvert or I’d truly be suffering so it’s ok. I mean, it won’t be as fun but then it hasn’t been much fun here either. I don’t know what to expect or whether I should just give it up and buy a small house. Any thoughts?

But before anyone attacks me for this, I will be continuing the isolation practices! I’m a senior with health issues my own self.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 06:49 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,780,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Some of you know that I’ve been living in my van for the past one and a half years and now I’m back in StL, cat sitting for a friend who is due back from India on Saturday, at which point I will already be gone because I’ve been self isolating for the past ten days and lord knows what she’s bringing home. I can’t stay here and I sold my house so I have no choice but to go back out in my van but I’ve been cooped up so long that I don’t even know what’s going on out there.

I plan to continue isolating but in the woods now I guess, if I can even get into parks. I know I won’t be eating at restaurants and I’d have to go to the grocery store anyway and TG I’m an introvert or I’d truly be suffering so it’s ok. I mean, it won’t be as fun but then it hasn’t been much fun here either. I don’t know what to expect or whether I should just give it up and buy a small house. Any thoughts?

But before anyone attacks me for this, I will be continuing the isolation practices! I’m a senior with health issues my own self.
I think we’re all making it up as we go.

The thing I’m most frustrated about is the rumors about boondocking closures on public lands. Very frustrating to try to sort them out.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I think we’re all making it up as we go.

The thing I’m most frustrated about is the rumors about boondocking closures on public lands. Very frustrating to try to sort them out.
I’ll bet. I heard the national parks will be open for free to help people get out and spread out. I heard the state parks were closed but again, they help us spread out so hopefully that will occur to them soon.

Old 03-19-2020, 01:47 AM

1,131 posts, read 388,598 times
I've cancelled 4 months of RVing because of the uncertainty and closures --I expect if things continue like they are, we'll have some shortages in healthcare and food - worst case scenario - but I'd rather be in my sticks and bricks instead of on the road, away from my known doctor and security of the house. Lots of State Parks that I intended to use closed.

Old 03-19-2020, 03:05 AM

17,642 posts, read 22,668,086 times
Howdy, Steph:
In the area you will be boondocking/camping, call or visit the website of Walmart or another grocery store near by. See if you can shop online for groceries at their store.

That is what we have been doing the last 6 months. We shop online for our groceries & some other goods the Walmart Superstore sells us online, which a Walmart shopper picks up our groceries in the store.
I let them know what day & time I want to pickup our groceries in Grants Pass. I park in a specific parking area, let them know we are here. Our Walmart shopper brings out the groceries, loads up my jeep.
We love shopping this way. It's the best thing since sliced bread. It saves us a lot of time.
Maybe shopping like this will work for you. You won't need to be close to other shoppers this way.
Take Care. Drive Safely...

Old 03-19-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Howdy, Steph:
In the area you will be boondocking/camping, call or visit the website of Walmart or another grocery store near by. See if you can shop online for groceries at their store.

That is what we have been doing the last 6 months. We shop online for our groceries & some other goods the Walmart Superstore sells us online, which a Walmart shopper picks up our groceries in the store.
I let them know what day & time I want to pickup our groceries in Grants Pass. I park in a specific parking area, let them know we are here. Our Walmart shopper brings out the groceries, loads up my jeep.
We love shopping this way. It's the best thing since sliced bread. It saves us a lot of time.
Maybe shopping like this will work for you. You won't need to be close to other shoppers this way.
Take Care. Drive Safely...
Omg, fabulous idea! I’m definitely going to start doing that. I just hope Walmart doesn’t close down boondockers because I have a very uncomfortable feeling that a lot more people are going to be living out of cars by this time next year. It’s one thing to live out of a van because you’re having an adventure but another when you have to. Sorry, I’m getting in a dark mood and on top of that it’s been raining all day with thunderstorms, hail, and tornadoes on the menu for tonight. At least I have the run of an apartment right now.

Old 03-19-2020, 02:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,161,153 times
Storing fresh veggies and fruit, along with plenty of water to wash them would be my 'van living' concern.
Guess I would eat a lot of carrots!

I usually use public pools for showers (they will probably be closed soon)

Might mean "River Baths", Have done that a lot in National Parks, but a tad chilly at the moment (especially Yellowstone) Blizzard today in WY .

Fortunatley my camper van has a Motoraide HW heater and outdoor shower.

Luv that accessory. (hot water for soup and tea too)

Old 03-19-2020, 04:51 PM

983 posts, read 996,956 times
It’s going to be tough on full time RV ers.
If state parks, public land for Boondocking is closed, what are we supposed to do?
Drive around and risk spreading more virus!?!?

Old 03-19-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Storing fresh veggies and fruit, along with plenty of water to wash them would be my 'van living' concern.
Guess I would eat a lot of carrots!

I usually use public pools for showers (they will probably be closed soon)

Might mean "River Baths", Have done that a lot in National Parks, but a tad chilly at the moment (especially Yellowstone) Blizzard today in WY .

Fortunatley my camper van has a Motoraide HW heater and outdoor shower.

Luv that accessory. (hot water for soup and tea too)
Usually I stop at planet fitness to shower but I’m also quite good at getting clean in about a half gallon of water inside the van if I need to. Life is about to get a lot more real and the good news is that gas will be cheap. For now.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:54 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,780,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
It’s going to be tough on full time RV ers.
If state parks, public land for Boondocking is closed, what are we supposed to do?
Drive around and risk spreading more virus!?!?
Try here - https://m.facebook.com/groups/213143243369969

Also, see if you can call on your family or friends for a place to park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing