Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 06:50 AM

7,046 posts, read 6,300,442 times

Advertisements

!Very well said, Stepka. I learned from Bob and then other nomads and travelers.

I hope your health improves soon. I just returned home for the summer and am staying in a travel trailer on the family farm. What a luxury after living in/ out of my car since October!

I haven't seen the movie yet as my Kindle didn't support Hulu but I think it would be good for my sister and I to watch it together. She can't really comprehend what this lifestyle compromises and I think it would help her see just what it's like.

I don't think I would have gotten into this life without the knowledge shared by Bob and others. I've personally saved a lot of money by doing this. It's such a simplistic lifestyle, and living on social security is very doable for me, whereas it was tough when I had an apartment.

Why people resent anyone making money from sharing their knowledge is beyond my comprehension. How do companies grow? With an idea someone had that was embraced by others.

I started my journey because of grief when my son died. This has been such a healing experience for me and I am thankful for the knowledge others have shared. It's really opened my eyes to experience the beauty and wonder of living in nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 12:49 PM

602 posts, read 314,008 times
I haven't seen Nomandland but I loved Richard Grants "American Nomads" which I see is now back on Youtube in full...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjArq0prs7Q

Old 05-05-2021, 02:56 PM

That was very interesting. I'd seen parts before but not the entirety. Thank you for sharing.

Old 05-05-2021, 05:09 PM

602 posts, read 314,008 times
You are welcome...

Old 05-05-2021, 07:28 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
As for Bob Wells, I have no problem with him making a lot of money and living in a condo...I can't see any reason at all that he should feel obligated to continue to poop in a bucket just because he teaches greenhorns how to do so. The last I knew, it was free to get into the RTR and he pays for that. I think that some people are just offended when they try to speak to him and he's too busy to engage...as far as I know, he's an introvert and that's just how we are...we don't hate people, but people can run down our batteries quickly. And maybe people don't really need poop-in-a-bucket lessons but the videos feed their fantasies and keep them going until they can finally make the break. I didn't meet anyone on the road who hadn't watched at least a couple of his videos.
The problem with Bob is that he frames his personal story as some introspective quasi-spiritual journey. It wasn't. He was divorced and broke and couldn't afford to pay his rent. He's also said that people are stupid to live in a house (or other stationary dwelling). In the movie, he was going on about the "tyranny of the dollar blah blah." Now that he has some dollars, he's back to living in a dwelling.

folks can live on the road if they want to. Just don't try to reframe it into something that it's not and don't blame the system for ones own personal choices in life.

Old 05-05-2021, 07:56 PM

1,938 posts, read 703,359 times
I saw the movie recently and liked it. I do worry about the safety of these people (especially women going it alone). Also,
it's gotta be tough on their health - that scene where Fern was told the temperature was going to get really cold that night - yet
she chose to stay in her van. The bonding they share looks strong.

Old 05-05-2021, 09:41 PM

899 posts, read 672,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
The problem with Bob is that he frames his personal story as some introspective quasi-spiritual journey. It wasn't. He was divorced and broke and couldn't afford to pay his rent. He's also said that people are stupid to live in a house (or other stationary dwelling). In the movie, he was going on about the "tyranny of the dollar blah blah." Now that he has some d.ollars, he's back to living in a dwelling.

folks can live on the road if they want to. Just don't try to reframe it into something that it's not and don't blame the system for ones own personal choices in life.
A light bulb went on over my head. I read the book many months before seeing the movie so my recollection is a bit hazy, but it seemed so odd to me that Frances McD is playing a (fictional) character. She delivers some of Bob's doctrine during the movie, doesn't she? Those folks start talking real estate profits and she goes ballistic? Maybe the writer or producer thought Bob wasn't legit, or wouldn't come off that way etc.

I agree that the "personal choices" angle, which I liked in the book, seemed to get lost en route to the film.

Old 05-06-2021, 04:42 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
The problem with Bob is that he frames his personal story as some introspective quasi-spiritual journey. It wasn't. He was divorced and broke and couldn't afford to pay his rent. He's also said that people are stupid to live in a house (or other stationary dwelling). In the movie, he was going on about the "tyranny of the dollar blah blah." Now that he has some dollars, he's back to living in a dwelling.

Great post.

Old 05-06-2021, 01:21 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,762,417 times
I liked the movie.
Didn't glamorize anything. I've encountered a lot of people like those portrayed in the movie, and it seemed very real.
It's a whole other world that largely gets ignored unless you seek it out.

Old 05-06-2021, 01:36 PM

I'd like to know where/ how you found out Bob has a sticks and bricks homs. This is the only place I've heard of it. Can you verify your information?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing