Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 05:55 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,737,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileSauceCritic View Post
I met a few of the latter but they are a definite minority the few I met all had the same story, had a super well paying but super stressful career and got out before they had a heart attack, one guy said he did the math, and figured they had enough saved to live on for a few years with all the expenses that come with a house property taxes, and bills or live like a king for life on just his interest with only having to worry about food, gas and occasional repairs to the RV, but that means that guy must have had in the neighborhood of a million dollars in the bank when he left the rat race. he had a USMC tattoo so he may have also been retired military.
Yup. Money does not guarantee a low-stress life. Of course being broke can be very stressful!

I think it's wonderful that so many of us do have the opportunity to make this choice, and that it is not just a prerogative of the 1%, or even the top 10%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2021, 06:13 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,902,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Some of you might be interested in this commentary by a full-time RVer who makes her living on the road -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDQzX5edK_8

It's 14 minutes long.
No way I could listen to her for 14 minutes. I got nauseous after 3 minutes.

Old 02-21-2021, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Sorry.

Last edited by jacqueg; 02-21-2021 at 06:31 PM..

Old 02-22-2021, 02:42 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,245,540 times
Quote:

Same here. For one thing, I already know there are full time RV'ers who are working out of their giant fifth wheels and Class A motorhomes. However, there is a growing number of people living out of small trailers, vans, cars, who cannot afford anything else. Similar to the fact people live in million dollar homes and down the road there is an old mobile home park.

Old 02-22-2021, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Some of you might be interested in this commentary by a full-time RVer who makes her living on the road -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDQzX5edK_8

It's 14 minutes long.
She is very similar to Bob Wells and making a living with information most already know.

Old 02-22-2021, 05:16 PM

1,437 posts, read 732,977 times
Quote:
She is very similar to Bob Wells and making a living with information most already know.
LoL I think Bob Wells is a good starting point at least.

Old 02-22-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Plenty of authors and tV folks make darn good incomes doing the same. See, for instance, https://www.amazon.com/Life-Changing.../dp/1607747308. I am unclear why youtubers are suspect when they do the same.

Also, as an active participant in a van dwellers discussion board, I can tell you that what might be obvious to you is far from obvious to many others.

Old 02-23-2021, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileSauceCritic View Post
LoL I think Bob Wells is a good starting point at least.
I agree. However, I don't like the ones that say making a living on the road is easy. Most of the time they are the ones making their living off youtube videos saying do this but not actually doing anything.

Old 02-23-2021, 03:48 PM

1,437 posts, read 732,977 times
Quote:
I agree. However, I don't like the ones that say making a living on the road is easy. Most of the time they are the ones making their living off youtube videos saying do this but not actually doing anything.
True, but there are some that were living that life before youtube and give what seems like logical advice(I'm not a nomad so I don't know if it all works in practice) with a mix of the beautiful and gritty/gross side of the life, but their channel's don't seem to be as popular and many have not posted new vids in years.

Old 02-23-2021, 06:03 PM

7,036 posts, read 6,287,208 times
I haven't seen the movie but I read the book.

I was lucky that my family helped when I first lost my job and then my house in my late fifties.

I applied for senior housing when I reached ss age and even then had to live frugally. It was either an apartment or travel, not both. It took my having very noisy neighbors for me to decide to at least try the lifestyle.

It's only been a few months and I will be spending part of the summer with family but so far I' m really enjoying this. My car's too small and I'm saving for a larger one but I feel so free. It's the first time I've done some serious traveling and I like it.

I do have a paid off decent car though and family I enjoy seeing, which makes a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing