Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 01:04 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,818,953 times

Advertisements

I was curious to why some Americans have found Canada to be a nicer country to live in, especially from people who've lived here for a few years. I generally prefer more conservative values and warm-to-hot, to even stupidly-hot weather lasting most of the year.

However I have a suspicion that some Americans might prefer living in Canada for other reasons. So, if you don't mind, please tell me about what you like about Canada and how it compares to back home.

(At the moment I'm single, in my mid-20's and hoping to eventually immigrate somewhere warm.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 01:19 PM

177 posts, read 614,166 times
It may be the appeal of a foreign country that's like "right down the street" from home. But I'm sure Canada being more "liberal" concerning various issues is also a great selling point for some Americans.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:19 PM

415 posts, read 705,662 times
You should immigrate to Costa Rica. I have no clue why people want to move somewhere colder either.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:21 PM

323 posts, read 1,391,246 times
I think Southern California has nice palm trees. The beaches are o.k. depends where you go. Kind of grey looking at times. You can't put your head in the water on the majority of beaches, or so I've read once. It dawns on you how crude or tacky some places are. Some people are really scary or just crude. You get that a lot more often than I ever felt here in Quebec. Also, don't rudely pass someone on the highway down there or flip them the finger. You may get the wrong person who will shoot into your car aiming at you. Not uncommon. Lot's of racism. No safety net. I don't trust the Doctors. A lot of wrongdoing. Shoddy work in general proliferates. There is no atmosphere or personality to many places. A looming water shortage.

In Montreal, I hate winter around February. I like the personality of the city. The old architecture and atmosphere of another time. The green jungle atmosphere in the summer with flowers everywhere. The beauty that surrounds us with a short bike or car ride. The interesting people that abides here. I feel safe and relaxed though I'm not stupid about where I would put myself at night. Crime does exist here. It's just not scary like in the S. Cal. The way poor people can still live in some decency though I think there is too much poverty too. Yet that exists everywhere. I also think everyone should experience living in a different place at least once in their lives if that's what they want to do. I like that I have lived in L.A. and Montreal. Places are becoming more and more the same I suppose. I hope Canada, or what I know of Eastern Canada, stays gentile and low in crime. I know things have changed in Toronto and Montreal. It's too bad. I guess that's progress.

Last edited by cazelais; 06-20-2007 at 04:31 PM..

Old 06-20-2007, 05:12 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,397,997 times
I've only been to Canada once, when I was maybe six years old (although I'd love to go back for a visit) so I can't offer a firsthand comparison and I myself am not seriously looking at the prospect of emigrating to Canada, but my general impression is that the majority of Americans who are looking to Canada are doing so for political reasons. Many people are disgusted by the Bush Administration and the direction he has taken this country. I think some people were willing to put up with it during the first term, but after his re-election, it seemed that a lot of Americans just grew really disenchanted and felt that many of the core aspects and values of America were eroding. Many Americans who had never thought about leaving the country now have started doing so, feeling less like they were abandoning their country, and more like their country had abandoned them. I think Canada looked to be an appealing option due to the fact that is much more socially progressive than the U.S. but the reason that Canada stands out moreso than other liberal nations is due to its proximity (cheaper/quicker to fly home to visit family and friends from Toronto than London or Amsterdam) and the fact that it would probably require the most minimal adjustment as Canada and the U.S. are very culturally similar.

The skyrocketing cost of health care in this country is also an issue for a lot of people, and Canada has gotten a lot of publicity in the U.S. for it's universal health care and much lower cost of prescription drugs. The quality of Canadian vs. American health care has been debated on this board, but so far as it's portrayal in the media, Americans in general think the Canadians have got a better health care system.

There's also a general impression that Canadians are friendlier than Americans. Personally, I don't find that to be true. I find Canadians to be as equally (un)friendly as Americans.

I think the weather does keep some Americans at bay from emigrating to Canada. While the general trend in this country is moving South and West towards warmer climates, for a large number of people, the weather in Canada (depending on the part) isn't so different from what they're used to, in places like Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, Boston, etc.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:45 PM

95 posts, read 1,294,627 times
Hillary Clinton. Oh, Canada, here I come. I just don't think I can be an American with Hillary at the helm.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:39 PM

9 posts, read 38,350 times
Default Who would you prefer?

Hillary, Rudy or Obama?

Old 06-20-2007, 08:19 PM

95 posts, read 1,294,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bye hamptons View Post
Hillary, Rudy or Obama?
Yikes... do I have to answer that question? Any, many, miney, mo... Hmmmm, okay... Rudy but just because he handled himself so well after the 9-11 attacks. Obama, are they crazy??? Hillary.... (passed out).

Old 06-20-2007, 08:23 PM

110 posts, read 609,250 times
Dullnboring listed many of the reasons my husband and I are considering moving out of the US. The values and democratic principles that we held dear as a nation have been eroded by the current administration - but what is equally troubling is that this has been allowed to occur. Where is the outrage from the American people? Honestly, I hardly recognize this country anymore.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:41 PM

441 posts, read 2,109,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shonner View Post
Dullnboring listed many of the reasons my husband and I are considering moving out of the US. The values and democratic principles that we held dear as a nation have been eroded by the current administration - but what is equally troubling is that this has been allowed to occur. Where is the outrage from the American people? Honestly, I hardly recognize this country anymore.
It is a shame, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada