Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 04:03 PM

4 posts, read 12,692 times

Advertisements

I would live in Toronto in a heartbeat. Maybe Vancouver, too, from what I hear, though I haven't been there yet. I visit Toronto at least once a year, and love it. Been there in summer and in winter, and enjoyed both. Then again, I live in a place with cold/snowy/windy winters now, and grew up in a place where they're even worse, so I can deal with winter weather just fine. It's actually steamy heat and humidity that bothers me more. When it's cold I can always put on another layer of clothing, but when it's hot you can only take off so much, especially if you plan to be seen in public!

I'm not at all happy with the status quo in the U.S. right now, and haven't been for some time. I also think that changing things around to something I'm happier with and undoing the damage that has been done to our system of government, culture, education and a whole host of other things is going to take a looong time. I just find Canada more appealing, and societally more comfortable in terms of values.

YMMV, as always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 12:31 AM

24 posts, read 70,742 times
I'm a dual citizen and have lived half my life in both countries. I think that each country has regions that are either liberal, conservative or mixed. So it's hard to divide along national lines if you look at it like that.

There are differences, but if you're looking for politics, each country has regions you can go and feel comfortable with your particular brand of hand-picked beliefs.

I find that values everywhere are terrible. People don't respect anything and will do what's in their self-interest because that's the backbone of society. It's probably always been true since the beginning of our countries. More so in the US I would say because they look at it as liberty versus freedom. They were born of revolution (a rich merchant revolution, but I digress). So that's where the values come from.

But there are still plenty of good people to be found in both countries. For now.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:51 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,805,572 times
I was engaged to a Canadian who had residences in both Ottawa and in the Laurentian's.

Cold weather doesn't bother me, as both he and I cross country skiied almost daily in the winter, ice skating on the lakes and on the longest ice skating rink in Ottawa, the mountains in Quebec, fishing, swimming in the lakes. Most people were friendly, always greeting one another.

What turned me off, and stopped me from learning French was on Canada Day. We were driving from Ottawa to Ste Agathe du Monts, and spotted only 1 Canadian flag in Quebec. I saw more American flags waving than Canadian flags. In addition to alot of Quebecois refusal to learn English, and disdain for the English.

The lack of Canadian pride really bothered me. I learned and read up on Canadian history, we visited many historic sites. My ex fiance and I had many discussions on Canadian pride, and he told me that Canada has an inferiority complex. I don't know if he was joking or not.

And yes, it bothered me.

I loved the scenery, the activities, the cleanliness, and most everyone I met.

blessings, Shen

Old 06-29-2007, 12:21 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,818,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenandoah View Post
I was engaged to a Canadian who had residences in both Ottawa and in the Laurentian's.

What turned me off, and stopped me from learning French was on Canada Day. We were driving from Ottawa to Ste Agathe du Monts, and spotted only 1 Canadian flag in Quebec. I saw more American flags waving than Canadian flags. In addition to alot of Quebecois refusal to learn English, and disdain for the English.

The lack of Canadian pride really bothered me. I learned and read up on Canadian history, we visited many historic sites. My ex fiance and I had many discussions on Canadian pride, and he told me that Canada has an inferiority complex. I don't know if he was joking or not.

And yes, it bothered me.

I loved the scenery, the activities, the cleanliness, and most everyone I met.

blessings, Shen
Sounds like you didn't get married... I hope it was "him" and not Canada if that's true.

Canadian flags on display are generally uncommon in Canada, IMHO. Some stores put them out, some residents do, but flagless residential or business areas tend to be more common than the other way around.

I can certainly understand seeing a lot of "Fluere de Lis" flags in Quebec as they have a rich history and very strong sense of identity. Most of Canada, like a lot of places in the U.S. don't really have a sense of identity. To me we feel like a (predominently) English country that coincidentally is usually cold and is called Canada.

As far as lack of pride, we have few popular stories that make Canada seem like a really special place, but off the top of my head I could probably think of a dozen popular Hollywood movies that portray the U.S. with some kind of idealism.

I would hesitate to call it an "inferiority complex" since usually the only time I hear about our country sucking is if people talk about movie and tv actors, professional musicians etc.

But their would probably be a general sense among most Canadians that this is a decent, but not special place. It kind of just exists and that doesn't bother most people, even me lately.

Am I making sense?

Old 06-30-2007, 06:20 AM

7,141 posts, read 12,678,151 times
Default Canadian Beauty

Were I to move to Canada, which I am not considering--but if I were, it would be to British Columbia, somewhere above Vancouver. Why? The sheer beauty and majesty of the natural landscape. Once, I spent a bit of time in the little islands off of Vancouver and the call of the ravens and the bald eagles still haunt me. They say certain areas are meaningful to each of us for some deep and inexplicable reason--and that area is one of my most cherished places. I've never seen water more clear...it's very special there and people were kind to me.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:06 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,218,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Were I to move to Canada, which I am not considering--but if I were, it would be to British Columbia, somewhere above Vancouver. Why? The sheer beauty and majesty of the natural landscape. Once, I spent a bit of time in the little islands off of Vancouver and the call of the ravens and the bald eagles still haunt me. They say certain areas are meaningful to each of us for some deep and inexplicable reason--and that area is one of my most cherished places. I've never seen water more clear...it's very special there and people were kind to me.
Funny thing about how a local view, say Campbell River, can change your perspective. Never walk under a bald eagle on a power line...they defecate (can't say **** here) really fishy quarter pounders. And that crystal clear water supports some wonderful algae blooms in August.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:49 PM

31 posts, read 130,748 times
Reasons I have considered becoming Canadian

1. When I go to other countries, they tell me I am too nice to be an American "You must be Canadian..."

2. I can speak English and another foreign language.

3. I like cold weather.

4. Women look really hot in multiple layers of wool.

5. I love filling out paperwork.

6. Curling: the sport gods

7. Molson: the drink of gods

8. Canada is the only place outside of Germany that makes good Eiswein.

9. Unlike the U.S., you don't have to write a separate check for crappy, over-priced medical care

10. Tim Hortons!!!

Old 06-30-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exileinsc View Post
Reasons I have considered becoming Canadian

3. I like cold weather.

5. I love filling out paperwork.

6. Curling: the sport gods

7. Molson: the drink of gods

8. Canada is the only place outside of Germany that makes good Eiswein.

9. Unlike the U.S., you don't have to write a separate check for crappy, over-priced medical care

10. Tim Hortons!!!

3. I like cold weather too; sometimes I'm in the mood for weather in the 60's F or even high 50's F.

5. Paperwork? For filing taxes?

6. Curling does look fun... Haven't tried it yet though.

7. Which one? Molson's the brand but they make a variety of beers. I like there premium brand "Richard's" (pronounced Rick-ards) and their "Red" and "Honey Brown" bees.

8. Do you mean "ice-wine?" We make it in the Niagara area.

9. That would suck.

10. Got to love their breakfast sandwiches. (sausage & egg biscuit, reminds me of N.C. ) They make decent coffee, nice donuts, small desserts and toasted bagels.

* Number 4 made me laugh, thanks.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:15 AM

640 posts, read 2,013,352 times
"The main reason why Canada has fewer problems than us is because they don't have a 1000 mile border with a Third World country where drugs, weapons, illegal immigrants come through every day."

So you have never heard of BC bud....that would come from the fertile area of British Columbia. I'll give you a clue...BC is in Canada. How do you suppose it gets down to the United States?

And its quite obvious you know absolutely nothing about the Akwasasne reservation....

I'll give you some more rope to hang yourself....intellectual laziness is a great GOP trait.

Last edited by JiminCT; 07-03-2007 at 07:37 AM..

Old 07-03-2007, 11:51 AM

What does GOP stand for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada