Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 03:19 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
People tell me some of the areas of Alberta, like Calgary, receive Chinook winds and can have warm winter days - not sure I believe it! Although it's in BC (but not on the coast) Kelowna in the Okanagan valley also seems to be know for "mild" winters by Canadian standards, but I'm not sure what they're like - I'm not sure if there are similar cities/regions? I've read Nova Scotia is a bit milder due to the Gulf Stream ocean current that comes up the east coast of the U.S. Other than that, I suppose southern Ontario as others have said.

Yes - southern NS and southern tip of ON both have milder spots. Still won't be balmy come January, but beats Nunavut. A good map may be found here

The Atlas of Canada - January Mean Daily Minimum and Maximum Temperatures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 08:13 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,091 times
10,000+ - SW Nova Scotia, where I grew up, is about the only place that fits the description. Windsor might be warmer overall, but SW NS doesn't have the cold extremes that Windsor can sometimes have. Daytime highs in the winter tend to range from 5 to -5C, sometimes a bit colder (but very rarely below
-10), and sometimes a bit higher, but generally not above 10C. I also lived in London for 4 years, which is a bit cooler than Windsor, but very similar. There were some simply NASTY winter days there, just bitter cold.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:01 PM

957 posts, read 1,133,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Sorry - but this made me laugh LOL.
Stand in any town in Canada facing south and it'll be "facing south". Likewise for north, east and west
ahaha

I was referring to a couple of conditions that cause a small area to enjoy a better microclimate compared to the sorrounding areas...

So far it seems Nova Scotia and the western/southern coasts of Ontario peninsula win.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:38 PM

15 posts, read 39,414 times
Yah we get lots of Chinook winds here that will raise the tempature, you'll see times when chinook winds will melt all the snow and since you've been dealing with -25C for the last few days even though it is only +5C it feels great. Chinook winds create erradic weather patterns though, you'll go from hot and dry to the next hour being sheet rain and thunderstorms because the wind from the mountains will rush in. I've had people born outside of Alberta (who isn't anymore?) that tell me that Alberta winters still don't compare to most of the other parts of Canada in terms of the cold and snow.

I work in a hotel, we had a bunch of guys from Florida who were working outside through the whole winter working on celluar towers, we had a bunch of days of below ten C weather then a Chinook came through and raised the temapture. They were joking about how they must be Canadian now because they actually thought it was warm outside at only about +5C

Old 08-11-2010, 04:58 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Welcome to Canada eh!

Old 08-11-2010, 05:22 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Welcome to Canada eh!
That's of Newfoundland I believe? There were some smashin' photos in that series LOL!
Here's a creative idea: http://johngushue.typepad.com/.a/6a0...9765970b-800wi

Old 08-11-2010, 07:13 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Welcome to Canada eh!
I recall getting this in an e-mail saying it was the Trans-Labrador Highway.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:13 PM

4 posts, read 27,509 times
To find the community with the warmest average temperature, check the Weather Stats here:
Statistics: Leamington, Ontario - The Weather Network

I choose Leamington On in Southwestern Ontario as your starting point. Being the southern most place in Canada (just a few miles north of California for example or as far south as Barcalona Spain.)

Old 01-02-2012, 08:45 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post
You may also check out the Turks & Caicos, small islands (a territory of the U.K., I believe) near the Bahamas that have expressed interest in joining Canada for some years now. If this happened, they would hands down have the warmest winter in Canada! What are you waiting for, Canadians?
All of the people would go on to Canadian social assistence and live like kings.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:46 PM

233 posts, read 538,484 times
St. John's has the warmest winters outside of British Columbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada