Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 10:58 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,115,940 times

Advertisements

Americans dress different from Brits, but do you find Canadians dress different?

Also, would you say, are the dressing styles in general different between parts of Canada, as they can be in the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 09:10 AM

661 posts, read 1,250,966 times
In winter, the further north you go the more layers of clothes are worn!

Old 10-17-2010, 11:44 AM

41 posts, read 92,410 times
I think this depends where you are. The best dressed province is most likely Quebec. I've noticed on average American's tend to be much worse dressed and much worse groomed then Canadians as a whole.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:49 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,780,380 times
I see more flanel being worn by Canadians than Americans.....

Old 10-17-2010, 11:54 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,010,509 times
As with the States, it depends on where you are.

IMO, there's nothing like NY and Montreal, in terms of fashion.

When you get to the West Coast, I have seen absolutely no difference between the US and Canada. Of course, it depends on where you go, and who you are with, but in terms of "Americans being worse dressed and worse groomed" than Canadians as a whole, I'd say that's a load of bunk.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:02 PM

41 posts, read 92,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
As with the States, it depends on where you are.

IMO, there's nothing like NY and Montreal, in terms of fashion.

When you get to the West Coast, I have seen absolutely no difference between the US and Canada. Of course, it depends on where you go, and who you are with, but in terms of "Americans being worse dressed and worse groomed" than Canadians as a whole, I'd say that's a load of bunk.

Hi Mish, In my post I basically said on average. Yes I agree 90% of the time the dress style is similar, but Ive seen certain areas of the US outside of the cities where people look like they have come out of dumpsters, Ive compared this to similar Canadian areas and havent found it to be the case.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:52 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,010,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamseCA View Post
Hi Mish, In my post I basically said on average. Yes I agree 90% of the time the dress style is similar, but Ive seen certain areas of the US outside of the cities where people look like they have come out of dumpsters, Ive compared this to similar Canadian areas and havent found it to be the case.
I've found differently, obviously.

I had my first trip to Saskatchewan this past summer. It's the first time I've been out of major metropolitan areas in Canada. What struck me, most of all, was how *similar* where were were was to rural areas in the States. With the exception of signposts being in kmh (and the gorgeous flax and canola fields), I may as well been in the States. Dress, demeanor, pretty much the same.

I've seen many people, in the metro areas, who look like they have just rolled out of bed. Whether that's metro New York, LA, Vancouver...

I simply don't see any vast difference, generally, between the way people dress and present themselves between the two countries.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:37 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,956,213 times
Toronto subway riders just wear shades of grey - particularly in winter. It's depressing. Every winter you see people wearing the same new Walmart or Zellers coat - at least 2 per car. Go Train riders have better threads & more diversity.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:08 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamseCA View Post
There are places like this in Canada as well. Trust me.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:19 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,854,400 times
You can't even compare. Someone from Alabama would definitely dress differently than a New Yorker. Comparing entire countries don't make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada