Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2011, 08:21 PM

398 posts, read 732,930 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on living in Stoney Creek? How are the people? It seems quiet there. How does it compare to living in St. Catharines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 08:11 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Personally, I would way rather live in St. Kitts. I'm not really fond of that whole strip from Stoney Creek all the way to Beamsville. It's just too much of a bedroom town for me. It's sort of stuck out there between Hamilton and St. Catherines. I'd bet the people who live there are running into the city for something all the time. I lived in St. Catherines for 21 years and it's a great little city. It has everything you need and more. Same thing with Hamilton. For some reason RE prices are very high in Stoney creek also.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:39 AM

661 posts, read 1,251,278 times
I worked in Stoney Creek for a few years, lived just west of there in Hamilton. Lots of friends in S.Creek. Lucknow said it all.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:05 PM

Thanks guys. That's the impression I got. It's nice over there but it seemed a little too suburban. I noticed the houses are pricier there than in Hamilton Mountain and way pricier than in St. Catharines. I was in the area a couple days ago and I really think St. Catharines is growing on me. I saw a new sushi place opened up downtown... that's always a good sign. The main downside I see in St. Catharines is fewer accounting jobs within commuting distance for my wife. There's hundreds of job listings online in Mississauga, a decent number in Burlington and Hamilton but only a few in Niagara region. She needs to work for a few years in Canada before she can take the CA exam, and she doesn't mind working for a small firm but it seems most of the employment opportunity is closer to the GTA. Of course if we live in Niagara we could do just fine on one income, but she prefers to work.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:25 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
Thanks guys. That's the impression I got. It's nice over there but it seemed a little too suburban. I noticed the houses are pricier there than in Hamilton Mountain and way pricier than in St. Catharines. I was in the area a couple days ago and I really think St. Catharines is growing on me. I saw a new sushi place opened up downtown... that's always a good sign. The main downside I see in St. Catharines is fewer accounting jobs within commuting distance for my wife. There's hundreds of job listings online in Mississauga, a decent number in Burlington and Hamilton but only a few in Niagara region. She needs to work for a few years in Canada before she can take the CA exam, and she doesn't mind working for a small firm but it seems most of the employment opportunity is closer to the GTA. Of course if we live in Niagara we could do just fine on one income, but she prefers to work.
There's lots of CA firms in Niagara. A friend of mine owns a big one in St. Catherines.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:28 PM

I did notice some accounting firms downtown. Hey, maybe you can put in a good word for the Mrs. once her job search begins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada