Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,925 times

Advertisements

hi, I am a Canadian citizen and I want to marry my Costarican girlfriend and live with her in Canada as soon as possible. She is currently living in Costa Rica ( I am also in CR constantly renewing my 90 day visa ) and hasnt applied for any type of visa yet. I am getting a lot of information and am very confused. I dont know if we should get married here in CR or if she should try to get a visa to visit canada and then we could get married there. Also if we do get married is it true that Canada doesnt have to allow her entry?? Thanks for any info or advice, I really need some solid answers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 02:37 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg_godd View Post
hi, I am a Canadian citizen and I want to marry my Costarican girlfriend and live with her in Canada as soon as possible. She is currently living in Costa Rica ( I am also in CR constantly renewing my 90 day visa ) and hasnt applied for any type of visa yet. I am getting a lot of information and am very confused. I dont know if we should get married here in CR or if she should try to get a visa to visit canada and then we could get married there. Also if we do get married is it true that Canada doesnt have to allow her entry?? Thanks for any info or advice, I really need some solid answers

Where you get married is a personal decision.

If Canada requires Costa Rican citizens to have an entry visa, then marriage to a Canadian will not waive that requirement, so your girlfriend/wife will be required to go through the visa/immigration process.

It's a bit of a heavy read, but the best information can be found on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada web site: Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

Old 03-15-2011, 04:15 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
I think you should consult an immigration lawyer before getting married (you're going to need one anyhow). I've heard that the country you get married in makes a huge difference with immigration, at least it did for a freind of mine back in the 90's so it's worth asking.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:05 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I think you should consult an immigration lawyer before getting married (you're going to need one anyhow). I've heard that the country you get married in makes a huge difference with immigration, at least it did for a freind of mine back in the 90's so it's worth asking.
I think so too. I'm in the same situation as the OP (except my fiancee is British resident in Britain) and we're getting married in the U.S. when the time comes. OP, don't take what I say as gospel since I'm not legally qualified to make such advice (had to get the disclaimer in there), but I'll tell you what I'm going to do. Me and my gf will be getting married here in my country because it'll work out best for us and she wants to live here.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I think so too. I'm in the same situation as the OP (except my fiancee is British resident in Britain) and we're getting married in the U.S. when the time comes. OP, don't take what I say as gospel since I'm not legally qualified to make such advice (had to get the disclaimer in there), but I'll tell you what I'm going to do. Me and my gf will be getting married here in my country because it'll work out best for us and she wants to live here.
thats what i want to do but based on what i have researched so far im not sure if she will be able to stay or have to leave the country after we are married, that sounds ridiculous to me but it seems to be the case, and thats if she can even get the visa to come here in the first place, i will definately talk to a lawyer, thanks for your advices and please keep them coming im still totally confused

Old 03-15-2011, 10:21 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg_godd View Post
thats what i want to do but based on what i have researched so far im not sure if she will be able to stay or have to leave the country after we are married, that sounds ridiculous to me but it seems to be the case, and thats if she can even get the visa to come here in the first place, i will definately talk to a lawyer, thanks for your advices and please keep them coming im still totally confused
Yeah I'm not sure how Canadian immigration works for marriage, but here in the U.S. my spouse would get a visa that will permit her to marry me here, and then after we marry she can stay here without returning to the UK. Anyways, Sponsoring your family: Spouses and dependent children

That's what I found also. Sponsoring your family: Spouses and dependent children - After applying

After reading this, it doesn't seem that your spouse can stay in Canada after you marry, but only after the whole application was approved. Call CIC to find out, and/or have her call the Canadian embassy in San José to clarify
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada