Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 10:14 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Ummmmm, not legally you're not.

Canada has immigration rules and time limitations are imposed on those admitted as visitors.

All the rules are available at Welcome Page | Page d'accueil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound81 View Post
He means he is free to move anywhere from an employment perspective.
Yes, that is what I meant, I think it was obvioius.
I know about the various immigration programs, the point thingy etc.
I already know that I qualify, even without speaking a word of French, which costs me a couple of points in the assessment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This area known as the Annapolis Royal does have a microcllimate. It actually manifests itself more in the summer than in the winter though. Winters are not much milder than elsewhere in Nova Scotia, and can sometimes be colder because it is somewhat inland, whereas most settlements are coastal and subject to the moderating effect of the water. Summers in the valley are quite a bit warmer than most places in Atlantic Canada.

The one thing about inland vs. coastal in Atlantic Canada is that generally winters are milder but summers cooler on the coast. Inland in places like Fredericton, NB and the Annapolis Valley can sometimes be colder in winter but are almost always quite a bit warmer in summer. The difference is often between 20 degrees on the coast vs. 25 inland.
Interesting. Well, I read that there is often fog along the coast, Yarmouth for instance has almost 200 days of fog per year. I don't like fog, I prefer enduring a couple of degrees fewer in the winter
Since I am from a deeply continental area myself, I guess I would like the more continental, somewhat sheltered feeling of the Annapolis valley between those two "mountain" ranges.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
There is a difference in the francophone areas of NB and it is mostly a north-south thing. There are many francophone areas in southeastern NB east and north of the city of Moncton. These areas are influenced by Moncton and therefore English is widely spoken even in the francophone towns. You may even have quite a few anglo residents who do not speak French living amongst an 80 or 90% francophone population.

If you go further north in the Acadian Peninsula around Caraquet or Tracadie for example, living there without speaking French would be almot akin to living in Portugal without speaking Portuguese. People would not be openly hostile, but they'd just find it odd that you would choose to live there. Sort of like: ''why did you come here if you had no interest in speaking French?''

Northwest NB around Edmundston is sort of a mix between the two attitudes. It is on the main cross-Canada highway and is also right next to the States. But it is still overwhelmingly French-speaking. Don't let the name fool you. In fact, even the neighbouring towns in the United States of America are mainly French-speaking, believe it or not.
I read there used to be Acadians in the Annapolis valley, too, but they were expelled
Don't worry, I would not move to a Francophone place. I was just wondering about that issue when I saw the statistics on some places in Canada. For instance when it says 40% French only, 50 English only, 10 both or neither. Made me wonder what life is like in such a place when half the population can't communicate with the other half

Old 05-05-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
This will be a huge challenge. Even the larger cities like Halifax, Moncton and St John's are not the easiest places to live in without a car.

You might want to look into university towns like Wolfville or Antigonish, NS or Sackville, NB. They may be less car-oriented and more pedestrian-friendly because of their large student populations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Problem with your criteria is a lack of car will necessitate you having to live in a mildly urban environment to access public transportation, if you are needing a trans continental airport close by its going to have to be in the Halifax,Montreal or Toronto areas.i cant come up with any ideas that match your needs, so throwing your wishes to the wind i come up with Fredericton and Moncton in NB, Halifax or Sydney in NS,Montreal in Que. and Kitchener/Waterloo in Ont.
I also cant guarantee these places dont have a higher incident of cancer.
I'm thinking you will have to make some compromises if you want to live in an area that puts check marks in all your boxes
OK, sounds pretty much like the US I thought that maybe in the Eastern parts, cities and tows would be a bit more compact than in the West, just like they are more compact in, say, Virginia than in California.

My needs are very modest. As I said I am not interested in big city life, shopping (except for food), museums or theaters. As long as there are a couple of supermarkets or convenience stores, that will do.
Currently I live in a small town of 10k, and before that in another small town of that size. Usually, before I move away for good, I don't tend to leave my town once I moved there. I have left my current town just once since I moved here in 2009, and I only did so as there is no immigration office here, but I had to register my move in person.

Thanks for the suggestions, but Quebec and Ontario are taboo for me, I am only interested in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick.

Last edited by Neuling; 05-05-2011 at 10:40 AM..

Old 05-05-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poscstudent View Post
If you're flying back and forth to Europe then you should make sure you're close enough to an airport that flies there. I don't believe any airport in New Brunswick flies to Europe so you'd probably have to fly to Halifax or Montreal to get to Europe.
No problem, I don't like flying and basically only take a plane when moving house. I would visit Europe maybe once every five years or so.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:44 AM

I was just checking out Antigonish as someone had mentioned that.
Are students not included in the population of a town in Canada? I am asking because it says the town has about 4200 souls, but the local university also has about 4200 full-time students

But it does seem like a nice place Hilly, lots of green...
It has lost over 10% of its population within the 5-year period from 2001 to 2006. Why are people leaving at that rate?

Last edited by Neuling; 05-05-2011 at 11:05 AM..

Old 05-05-2011, 12:12 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Antigonish is a nice place, big university in town (St. Francis Xavier University), got rolling hills in abundance but, it does get a substantial amount of winter weather, and although its not as bad as some areas of NS you will see fog.Also as there is no public transportation you'll have to live close to downtown and rely on taxi's to get anywhere thats too far to walk or bicycle..

Main street with local hills
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Antigonish.jpg

In towns and communities where French and English are spoken bilingualism is usually the way it works out.
Why is Antigonish losing residents? its all about the economy
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cana...hallenges.html

Old 05-05-2011, 02:26 PM

Neuling, out of curiosity where are you living now and what do you think of the place?

Old 05-05-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Neuling, out of curiosity where are you living now and what do you think of the place?
I live in a small town in the Alentejo province, Portugal.
Life here is OK, but I am not really happy for various reasons. For instance, I miss the winter

Old 05-05-2011, 03:34 PM

Sounds like a nice area of the world to live, every one i know who have vacationed in Portugal just loved the place but i guess if its winter you want Canada wont disappoint..
If you.ve never been to North America before you might be in for some cultural differences.
Heres a mid winter view of my little blue car buried in midwinter snow here in Montreal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada