Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 03:55 PM

433 posts, read 1,370,311 times

Advertisements

I'd like to ask people here what they know about the information on job prospects on local employment centre websites, most notably Emploi-Quebec, since that's where I'm from. Here's a link to their site: Emploi Quebec

Any of you older or more experienced people know how accurate they are? Maybe you guys can search up your own field and click on where it says 'Job Prospects' on the left side, and see how right they are.

I'm considering different trades to get into and I'm getting mixed messages on how a job is less in demand, becoming extinct, etc. So I thought this site would give me the most accurate information possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 05:24 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Typing in Nurse as an example brings up lots of resources to help you get employed, what part of the process is giving you problems?

Old 05-26-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Typing in Nurse as an example brings up lots of resources to help you get employed, what part of the process is giving you problems?
I don't think you understood what I'm asking. I understand the process of getting through the site. I'm asking how accurate the information is...

Old 05-27-2011, 01:25 AM

I'd assume its as accurate as a gvmnt department can make it. as what would be the point of creating a department to help people get jobs then give out false information. Are you getting the impression they are posting jobs that dont exist or information that is incorrect?,if so post up some examples as i dont think the subject is going to get the average forum member wading through pages of gvmnt documents and doing all over the net verification searches to try to prove that the site may have some inadequacies..And if they do fall short maybe its unintentional and an email to them pointing out your concerns may be welcomed and the problem fixed..
Way back in time i used to go to their offices and check out a wall of job postings and got a few jobs that were posted, now their job search centers use computers to search for a job,i presume if they post a job its a for real job.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:12 AM

What I'm saying is since they're the province's government department, are they or shouldn't they be the most accurate, compared to other websites that give out information on job prospects?

Are you a nurse, btw? From Quebec? Do you feel they have correct information on the job prospects for nurses. I don't really know because I have no interest in becoming a nurse.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:59 AM

984 posts, read 2,712,873 times
I think what the OP is asking people to do is go to the website. Click on a link on the left for their own proffession and look at what the site says about the demand for that career and comment on if they agree with the statement

Old 05-27-2011, 08:51 AM

My particular occupation wasnt listed so putting in nurse was meant to be an example, doesnt seem to list any jobs but just job titles and resources to further ones education in the field,maybe i wasnt looking in the right area of the site but without actual jobs to apply to my assessment of the site ?= Useless

Old 05-27-2011, 11:19 AM

Ok. I think this is where the OP was looking. (this is starting to seem like homework)...

-From HOME page click "EXPLORE A TRADE OR PROFESSION"
-Enter a word that describes your job in the box on the left below "containing the word(s)"
-Click SEARCH
-Click on one of the links that describes your proffession
-On the left menu click on JOB PROSPECTS.

You will see a chart that describes what the job prospects are in various places in Quebec. The OP seems to want to know if you agree with those assessments.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
The OP seems to want to know if you agree with those assessments.
I think the op wants to hear any ones assessments of the site not just my views, what was your assessment of the site marc?

Old 05-27-2011, 11:50 AM

i don't live in the area so i can't assess the job prospects part of it.

But overall

- a ton of information
-not the easiest to navigate
- I share your view that without links to actual job postings it is not as practical. It seems to just be an informational niche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada