Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 11:43 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,868,349 times

Advertisements

Hamilton looks fantastic compared to Philadelphia and Baltimore, I must say. And much, much safer too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 11:49 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,599,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
Interesting. Sounds like it's not as nice as I'd thought it might be.
It is very nice. It's got everything you need in a city. The city it reminds me most of is Pittsburg Pa. The negative things said here about Hamilton are a positive to me. They are a positive in this way. You can still buy an awesome old but renovated victorian home in a great area for under $300K. You can't do that anywhere else in the Golden Horseshoe. You are close to Toronto if you want to go into the city for a show or whatever. You are close to Niagara and all it has to offer. It's just 30 minutes to the Queenston bridge and the USA. For nature lovers their are amazing trails and the Niagara escartment right on your doorstep.
I personall love Hamilton and if I didn't love Niagara Falls more then I'd be living there.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:27 PM

701 posts, read 1,033,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
I'm not sure where exactly Memph was referring to but I live in Westdale, near McMaster University ( west of the university), over there is nice. Also Ainsle wood ( south and east of the University).

The Beasley and Strathcona neighborhoods are closer to the core and are pretty decent. But the main thoroughfare (like Barton) are kinda rundown.
Ok, great. Thanks!

Old 07-16-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
It is very nice. It's got everything you need in a city. The city it reminds me most of is Pittsburg Pa. The negative things said here about Hamilton are a positive to me. They are a positive in this way. You can still buy an awesome old but renovated victorian home in a great area for under $300K. You can't do that anywhere else in the Golden Horseshoe. You are close to Toronto if you want to go into the city for a show or whatever. You are close to Niagara and all it has to offer. It's just 30 minutes to the Queenston bridge and the USA. For nature lovers their are amazing trails and the Niagara escartment right on your doorstep.
I personall love Hamilton and if I didn't love Niagara Falls more then I'd be living there.
That's great to hear.

Some of the beaten down industrial towns in the US have come back magnificiently. Some haven't. Hamilton seems like the kind of place, given its location especially, that could come back big time as people start to avoid the unaffordable Toronto. Do you guys get the sense it's on the way up? Or is it just kinda stagnating?

Old 07-16-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
That's great to hear.

Some of the beaten down industrial towns in the US have come back magnificiently. Some haven't. Hamilton seems like the kind of place, given its location especially, that could come back big time as people start to avoid the unaffordable Toronto. Do you guys get the sense it's on the way up? Or is it just kinda stagnating?
Well, I was born in Hamilton 58 years ago. It has always had it's less desirable areas and it most likely alway will. Some of the areas around the core that have always been a bit run down are now attracting people who are renovating and sprucing up their homes. I think as time goes on there will be less and less run down and undesirable areas of the city.

My family moved to downtown Toronto when I was 1 year old. At that time almost the entire downtown of Toronto was very run down. The people had left and moved to the suburbs after WW2 which left the downtown filled with low income people and a lot of rentals. It was not until the late 60's early 70's that the core of Toronto began to be fixed up and decent once again. My best friend's dad sold a big mansion in Thornhill and bought a big old Victorian home right at Bloor and Church. He paid lots for it for the time and I always used to joke that he bought this expensive house just so he could shoo the hookers away from his door when he got home from work. That house would be worth probably 4 million today.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Well, I was born in Hamilton 58 years ago. It has always had it's less desirable areas and it most likely alway will. Some of the areas around the core that have always been a bit run down are now attracting people who are renovating and sprucing up their homes. I think as time goes on there will be less and less run down and undesirable areas of the city.

My family moved to downtown Toronto when I was 1 year old. At that time almost the entire downtown of Toronto was very run down. The people had left and moved to the suburbs after WW2 which left the downtown filled with low income people and a lot of rentals. It was not until the late 60's early 70's that the core of Toronto began to be fixed up and decent once again. My best friend's dad sold a big mansion in Thornhill and bought a big old Victorian home right at Bloor and Church. He paid lots for it for the time and I always used to joke that he bought this expensive house just so he could shoo the hookers away from his door when he got home from work. That house would be worth probably 4 million today.
Yeah, thanks for that - that's what I'm wondering about Hamilton. It's hard to see, with Canada's economy booming the way it is, and Toronto becoming so out of reach for the average person, why Hamilton wouldn't undergo a renaissance. Unless the politics there is all corrupt or inept or something. Or the drug gangs just have too tight a hold or something.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Yeah, thanks for that - that's what I'm wondering about Hamilton. It's hard to see, with Canada's economy booming the way it is, and Toronto becoming so out of reach for the average person, why Hamilton wouldn't undergo a renaissance. Unless the politics there is all corrupt or inept or something. Or the drug gangs just have too tight a hold or something.
You are going to find that here in Canada we have very little corruption compard to the USA. We have divorced the money from the politics so the corrupters have way less a chance for their games. Also we have the RCMP who are only too happy to nail any politician to the wall whenever and however they can. The previous liberal federal government got caught in an influence peddeling scandal and it pretty much destroyed the party.

In our present government we had a cabinet member that sent out a recommendation for her district to consider the bid of a company that her husband had an interest in. The result of that was she was fired, kicked out of the caucus and not nominated to run in the next election. Her life in politics was done like dinner for something that would not even be looked at twice in the USA.

If you want to be in the corruption business in Canada you had better stay away from political corruption and stick to the private sector where you may have some success.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:

If you want to be in the corruption business in Canada you had better stay away from political corruption and stick to the private sector where you may have some success.

Lol, I'll keep that in mind!

Old 07-19-2011, 09:24 AM

5,916 posts, read 6,139,800 times
Quote:
When you say the "inner city neighbourhoods", can you describe around which streets you mean?
I was referring mostly to the neighbourhoods I've biked through a couple times. They are the neighbourhoods just North of the escarpment, some of them quite close to downtown between the Red Hill Creek and Chedoke Expressways. Neighbourhoods like Delta, St Clair, Stinson are quite nice, some of them are lower income but none of them actually look run down. In fact, are there any residential areas that are truly run down (as opposed to lower income)? The only part of Hamilton that looked truly run down was Barton Street. Downtown Hamilton could certainly use some rejuvination, since it has an overabundance of surface parking and a few dirt/gravel lots, but for the most part, it seems like the buildings are well maintained.

Hamilton looks a lot like Toronto tbh. Several of the East-West streets outside of the neighbourhoods experiencing the condo boom in Toronto could use some sprucing up too. The architecture is very similar, and there are many of relatively dense, old, wood or brick home neighbourhoods in both cities. Hamilton is also supposed to get a light rail line on Main Street, and likely will get others, like one on James Street and maybe one on Hamilton Mountain. That should help rejuvinate the city.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I was referring mostly to the neighbourhoods I've biked through a couple times. They are the neighbourhoods just North of the escarpment, some of them quite close to downtown between the Red Hill Creek and Chedoke Expressways. Neighbourhoods like Delta, St Clair, Stinson are quite nice, some of them are lower income but none of them actually look run down. In fact, are there any residential areas that are truly run down (as opposed to lower income)? The only part of Hamilton that looked truly run down was Barton Street. Downtown Hamilton could certainly use some rejuvination, since it has an overabundance of surface parking and a few dirt/gravel lots, but for the most part, it seems like the buildings are well maintained.

Hamilton looks a lot like Toronto tbh. Several of the East-West streets outside of the neighbourhoods experiencing the condo boom in Toronto could use some sprucing up too. The architecture is very similar, and there are many of relatively dense, old, wood or brick home neighbourhoods in both cities. Hamilton is also supposed to get a light rail line on Main Street, and likely will get others, like one on James Street and maybe one on Hamilton Mountain. That should help rejuvinate the city.
Thanks for the great info.

We've been looking at places online, and it seems there are real disparities of price, even within Hamilton, for similar properties. Not sure if it's a neighborhoods thing, or if there are a lot of run down places or what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada