Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 02:02 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,933,405 times

Advertisements

No matter how much people keep defending Detroit, I don't think there is anything positive about living next to the largest ghetto in the US. Even with a border separating Windsor from Detroit, lowlifes, narcotics, weapons and other crime will spread to Windsor. I think with the right wind direction, it should be possible to hear gunfire in Windsor from Detroit gangs shooting at each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 03:52 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Well, you don't live here, and have probably never experienced what Detroit and it's surrounding areas have to offer. All you get is doom and gloom from the media. You know, over there.....on the other side of the planet.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:32 AM

Well, you get doom from people living in Detroit themselves too. Like a thread over here that half of the people in Detroit can't afford to pay their water bills(maybe $20 a month?) anymore. The US is starting to have third world problems. I wouldn't be too happy living next to that.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:52 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
No matter how much people keep defending Detroit, I don't think there is anything positive about living next to the largest ghetto in the US. Even with a border separating Windsor from Detroit, lowlifes, narcotics, weapons and other crime will spread to Windsor. I think with the right wind direction, it should be possible to hear gunfire in Windsor from Detroit gangs shooting at each other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Well, you don't live here, and have probably never experienced what Detroit and it's surrounding areas have to offer. All you get is doom and gloom from the media. You know, over there.....on the other side of the planet.
Quote:
Well, you get doom from people living in Detroit themselves too. Like a thread over here that half of the people in Detroit can't afford to pay their water bills(maybe $20 a month?) anymore. The US is starting to have third world problems. I wouldn't be too happy living next to that.

Magna is correct. The media's depiction of Detroit is worse than the reality. Or at least the media fails to differentiate between the city proper and the suburbs.

We lived in suburban Detroit for years, and I never once felt unsafe. We often left our doors unlocked when going out, and we never once had an issue. And even after years there, I loved the lush, green beauty of the suburbs. Though there is no comparison between the two cities proper, I'll take SUBURBAN Detroit over SUBURBAN Toronto any day. A metro area with the city of Toronto and the suburbs of Detroit would be great.

Yes, large areas of the city of Detroit are derelict, but as another poster said, I always respected the loyalty of Detroiters to their city and their determingation to stick it out and try to make it a better place. Overall, Detroit wasn't for me, but that had more to do with cultural factors than anything to do with crime, drugs, pollution or gunfire (none of which we experienced).

Believe it or not, but Metro Detroiters are NOT dodging bullets all day long.

And to the OP: I've never lived there myself, but we sometimes crossed from Detroit to go have dinner in Windsor's Little Italy section (yes, there is one, and we always thoroughly enjoyed our meals there. Oh, and I'd make a point of picking up some Canadian chocolate bars, too). I think Windsor has a lot going for it. I'd live there.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 07-11-2014 at 08:19 AM..

Old 07-11-2014, 08:09 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
There isn't really much of an effect. Windsor has an extremely low crime rate and has even gone entire years without having a single murder I believe.

The border is a pretty decent filter.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:34 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,437,560 times
Quote:
For starters you are 15-20 mins ride away from three major sporting venues for:
(1) Baseball
(2) Hockey
(3) Basketball

There are very very few places in Canada that have access to such high quality live sports.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
(1) Baseball
(2) Hockey
(3) Basketball

There are very very few places in Canada that have access to such high quality live sports.
Not to mention everything cultural and artistic in Detroit. I have friends of mine who used to live in Windsor (originally from Quebec but worked at the small French-language Radio-Canada station in Windsor) and they are very culturally oriented types and they loved being so close to Detroit for the symphony, Fox Theatre, the art museum and a whole bunch of other reasons.

And yes, like true or rather former Windsorites, they also defend Detroit when people up here slam it.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:00 AM

1,706 posts, read 2,437,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
(1) Baseball
(2) Hockey
(3) Basketball

I cant believe I forgot the FOURTH:
(4) Football (Detroit Lions)

Old 07-11-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Magna is correct. The media's depiction of Detroit is worse than the reality. Or at least the media fails to differentiate between the city proper and the suburbs.

We lived in suburban Detroit for years, and I never once felt unsafe. ...
I will never understand why people use the 'safe suburbs' as an excuse for what is going on in the city. As if it is ok that only a few miles away there is a city resembling a war zone with lots of gang activity, narcotics and weapons trade and where people can't afford their water bills anymore.

And as if the criminal elements in the city wouldn't get the idea that there is more to loot in the nearby 'safe suburbs' or Windsor than in the impoverished city. Crime spreads, just like urban decay and poverty. Windsor hat at least the advantage of being behind a border which should stop some of the criminal activity from spreading.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:03 AM

Almost none of the traditional crime that people associate with Detroit (shootings, gangs, etc.) actually spills into central Windsor. Despite the fact that the two downtowns are very close to each other.

Most of the trouble caused by Americans in Windsor is from middle and rich suburban kids from Detroit who cross the border on weekend nights to take advantage of Canada's lower drinking age. So the problems they cause are public drinking, urinating in the street, noice and occasional minor vandalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada