Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 01:13 AM

320 posts, read 297,193 times

Advertisements

What do Canadian's think about the NAU? Good or bad idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 07:53 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,312,405 times
Heh, I think it's gonna be a pretty obvious response.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:01 AM

18 posts, read 108,972 times
You know, I think I'd be cool with the freedom of being able to go across the border without any point of entry stations. You know, like in Europe. I'm not sure on a single currency though. Some of the US monetary policy bothers me a little, and I prefer Canada's. Although I generally (though I don't really know enough about it to make this statement might like the US fiscal policy. I'm a fiscal conservative, but not a religious person and the US conservatism bothers me a little because of this. I prefer our social liberalism, but not our fiscal liberalism. If that makes any sense. I like conservative Democrats and liberal Republicans I suppose.

In terms of a union, its hard to say. There doesn't seem to be an eroding of culture in Europe, but there might be here in Canada. Let me put it this way I guess, I'd be for more open borders and freer trade, but I'm not sold on a full union, or a common currency. And I haven't even considered Mexico into this equation either...

Old 08-24-2007, 01:07 PM

320 posts, read 297,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsX View Post
You know, I think I'd be cool with the freedom of being able to go across the border without any point of entry stations. You know, like in Europe. I'm not sure on a single currency though. Some of the US monetary policy bothers me a little, and I prefer Canada's. Although I generally (though I don't really know enough about it to make this statement might like the US fiscal policy. I'm a fiscal conservative, but not a religious person and the US conservatism bothers me a little because of this. I prefer our social liberalism, but not our fiscal liberalism. If that makes any sense. I like conservative Democrats and liberal Republicans I suppose.

In terms of a union, its hard to say. There doesn't seem to be an eroding of culture in Europe, but there might be here in Canada. Let me put it this way I guess, I'd be for more open borders and freer trade, but I'm not sold on a full union, or a common currency. And I haven't even considered Mexico into this equation either...
Is "easy travel" worth losing your hold within your own nation? I don't want a NAU Congress overruling American laws, nor do I want them dictating Canadian laws. I like the idea that if things get bad in America, and I'm speaking socially, I can always escape and move to Canada. Although, if the NAU made it easier for people to immigrate between countries, I would love that - it would be nice to have universal health care and the ability to marry my partner.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:22 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,458,760 times
Actually a better alternative to the NAU is to allow migration between the two countries without checkpoints. Once the migrants cross the borders, they are subject to the laws of the federal, state, and local governments of the area, similar to crossing state or city lines.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:33 PM

764 posts, read 1,457,547 times
If this NAU abomination comes to be, then you may as well kiss your natural resources, control of your economy, control of your government, and ASAP your universal health care good-bye.

I highly recommend looking into this "deep integration" scheme in much more detail—and soon!

Oh, and by the way, this group of neoconservatives in charge of our government and who will be pushing this NAU thing in back room deals in the US, Canada, and Mexico, has no intention of permitting genuine “free markets” to exist; they will be strictly controlled markets by use of government/corporate-created taxes, rules, codes, regulations, and legislation—but they will taunted as free markets to all who will listen and buy into the jargon.

This NAU/SSP/Deep Integration scheme, if it comes to pass, will be the beginning of the end of Canada as you know it . Surely, no Canadian will believe that resisting the onslaught of American business interests that are in control of our government (you know, the one that used to be "of the people, by the people, and for the people") is possible. Resistance will be futile once this thing gets going.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:59 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,312,405 times
If it gets passed say bye-bye to democracy and say hello to corporatism. As much as I would like to join the canadians in a country (cause you guys are nice folks), it would completely shaft you all. You know we would just take everything, use your military etc etc. And the US would get shafted by massive drops in wages due to mexicans such as the EU has had happen.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:25 PM

575 posts, read 3,133,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Actually a better alternative to the NAU is to allow migration between the two countries without checkpoints. Once the migrants cross the borders, they are subject to the laws of the federal, state, and local governments of the area, similar to crossing state or city lines.
Do you really think the U.S. would give up the extra money from double income taxation? I highly doubt it. One of the few countries that taxes you on citizenship, rather than residency.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:30 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,218,665 times
Ahh the good old AmericaFirst Isolationist crawl from under their rock to start the conspiracy theories about why a union is a bad idea.

Any of you been to Europe? You really think all those folks have been enslaved by the corporations?

An economic union with Canada is a piece of cake. Mexico is tougher. But it would make very good sense to get on with it for little things like security.

I would think the US and Canada could get the Mexican economy in shape for a union in less than 20 years. Or they could go ahead and do the union and fix Mexico later. Note that the EU has apparently managed to solve problems at least as big as Mexico.

All you need is the desire to make things better and it flows out.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:00 PM

764 posts, read 1,457,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Ahh the good old AmericaFirst Isolationist crawl from under their rock to start the conspiracy theories about why a union is a bad idea.

Any of you been to Europe? You really think all those folks have been enslaved by the corporations?

An economic union with Canada is a piece of cake. Mexico is tougher. But it would make very good sense to get on with it for little things like security.

I would think the US and Canada could get the Mexican economy in shape for a union in less than 20 years. Or they could go ahead and do the union and fix Mexico later. Note that the EU has apparently managed to solve problems at least as big as Mexico.

All you need is the desire to make things better and it flows out.
Yeah, I'll bet you can't wait to get into all those resources. You think you need security, do ya? You ought to know better than to make statements suggesting that mega-corps aren't drooling over themselves at the chance to get into Canada's economy.

It's a very bad idea--except for those in positions to gain the most by it, those representing a miniscule fraction in comparison to the people who will NOT gain from it.

There's nothing practical about this abomination. It is pure greed barely restrained just begging to break it's bonds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada