Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 09:21 PM

68 posts, read 107,782 times

Advertisements

Without going into detail a few weeks ago someone jokingly suggested I move to Canada (It is unseasonably warm here currently and I prefer the cold) But it got me thinking, so I got the book "How to move to Canada, a Primer for Americans"

And I plan on visiting Toronto sometime in late march-early april to see how I like it (just a weekend) and if I do then I will attempt to take the steps to actually move. The book said about a work visa and such (I'm one to look a year in the future not permanant so I do not know if I would plan on becoming a citizen or if it would be a 1 year stay)

This is all relevant because like most American college students, to put it politely, we have nothing (I own a year 2000 car worth about 4000$ a computer worth about 1000, and about 1000 worth of other things including clothes and living items) so I thought what better time to move somewhere different and start anew.

I do know the most important thing about moving is finding a job though, how would I do this? Obviously it is impossible for me to walk into a building and submit a resume.

If it is relevant I have job experience in restraunts and retail. I speak English fluently (and have a very minimal understanding of Arabic, taken through school as a challenging course, when I say minimal I mean alphabet and other basics) I have an associates (a 2 year degree) in liberal arts (pretty much a continuance of high school) and my current degree (which will be complete in may) is so specialized it isn't worth noting as anything more than a generic degree (such as liberal arts, business, etc)

So I guess my question does anyone know of agencies that assist Americans find a job in Canada (not to sound lazy but the less time and effort I have to put into it the better, it's more of a I take far to many classes, and work way to many hours at my part-time job)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 09:48 PM

I know it's been asked a million times but I feel mine is kind of unique because I am essentially bringing nothing with me, no family, no anything (except a bachelors degree)

after reading (If im correct a college degree is considered 2 years (or the american associates) while university is considered 4 years (american bachelors) if this is true then I would have a university degree (if this makes sense)

Thank you to anyone who reads this (double thanks to anyone who helps)

Last edited by skaliton; 01-15-2012 at 10:27 PM..

Old 01-16-2012, 01:10 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,881 times
Well, you can't just move to Canada. Check out this site and see if you've got a solid chance at qualifying for immigration first.

Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada

If you do qualify, just curious, is there any reason you're only considering Toronto? It's an okay city, but there are others, and Toronto's really only middle of the road in terms of job prospects while Western cities like Calgary are exploding.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:36 PM

I have most of that site, but why toronto? It is a combination of wanting to live in a large city, part because it is close enough to America (I live in Pennsylvania) that I can return home (and at the same time far enough people won't bother me from around here)

I am aware I will need a job (I do have years of retail experience/a year of cooking/ and many summers of working at an amusement park) but I don't know what I want to do exactly. I would love to find a job and hopefully really like it and find my "calling" but I'm kind of a pessimist

Old 01-16-2012, 09:45 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,881 times
Here's a list of employment agencies, maybe that'll help you find something. For the unskilled work you're talking about, though, you'll probably have more luck just hoofing it around town, talking to employers and handing out your CV. Also, check out places like craigslist, workopolis, jobboom.ca etc. for employment ads.

TorontoJobs.ca | The Greater Toronto Area Job Bank

Old 01-16-2012, 10:27 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,860,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaliton View Post
after reading (If im correct a college degree is considered 2 years (or the american associates) while university is considered 4 years (american bachelors) if this is true then I would have a university degree (if this makes sense)
You didn't specify in what discipline?

Quote:
I have most of that site, but why toronto? It is a combination of wanting to live in a large city, part because it is close enough to America (I live in Pennsylvania) that I can return home (and at the same time far enough people won't bother me from around here)

I am aware I will need a job (I do have years of retail experience/a year of cooking/ and many summers of working at an amusement park) but I don't know what I want to do exactly. I would love to find a job and hopefully really like it and find my "calling" but I'm kind of a pessimist
You'll need a job that will get you accepted in to Canada
Occupational Structure by Skill Type

Old 01-17-2012, 11:21 AM

My major is similar to a criminal justice degree, but as of the last year it's been more of a pain taking classes than something I enjoy and have a desire to do. That isn't to say I am without skills (I am quite good with various business things such as microsoft office and professional speaking (it sounds silly but many americans are more afraid to speak in public than they are of dying a recent poll said)

Old 01-19-2012, 04:00 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,860,695 times
Quote:
My major is similar to a criminal justice degree, but as of the last year it's been more of a pain taking classes than something I enjoy and have a desire to do. That isn't to say I am without skills (I am quite good with various business things such as microsoft office and professional speaking (it sounds silly but many americans are more afraid to speak in public than they are of dying a recent poll said)
I know a couple of people who majored in that at SFU, because they aspired to join the RCMP (our police force). They didn't succeed the rigorous selection process. Only Canadian citizens can apply.

Your undergraduate degree can help you some time down the road. If you can't think of what to do in the mean time, what about pursuing a trade/professional course that will prepare you for a career? A paramedic, social worker, firefighter, notary public ... ?

Hopefully, others more knowledgeable in this forum will respond to you.
All the best.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:17 PM

Dougie, I assure you I can pass any selection (besides the being canadian) my IQ is 134..weigh 135 (im not saying im strong but the typical american stereotypes...well won't get into that)

And taking more courses, I already have quite a bit of student debt, and if I am unable to find a job then it only gets worse, it seems the biggest problem is most agencies/companies won't hire someone (or help them find a job) unless they are already within Canada...and it seems very hard to get into the nation without a job (and again I am not in any financial situation to use my net worth as a way in)

But thanks

Old 01-19-2012, 04:27 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,450,457 times
Immigrating to Canada is not about IQ. Apparently, you have not perused the immigration website that BIMBAM provided. Immigration takes dogged perseverance, including attention to details. Not reading the main website casts doubt at your seriousness.

Okay, I will copy and paste a bit for you here, but you have to do the rest of the job:

Skilled workers and professionals - Who can apply

For your application to be eligible for processing, you must:

have a valid offer of arranged employment, OR
have one year of continuous full-time paid work experience in at least one of the occupations listed here * OR
be an international student enrolled in a PhD program in Canada (or graduated from a Canadian PhD program within the past 12 months) and meet certain criteria.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp

Now, you will have to follow the occupations link, and see if your occupation even makes the cut (after you have 1 year of job experience).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada