Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 10:33 AM

468 posts, read 785,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
I AM growing okra this year - that's typically southern isn't it?
Absolutely. It came from Africa and is related to cotton. Yams and sweet potatoes are different. Most yams are truly tropical and native to Africa and Asia, while sweet potatoes are native to Central and South America and can be cultivated in cooler areas, although places warmer than you will find in Canada. My home state of Mississippi is a major sweet potato producer in the U.S.

God bless,

CKB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 01:15 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
LOL re the yam vs the sweet potato - see my photo (post 13) - the sweet potato is orange (and orange interior) and the yam is purple outside white inside). You are right about the long growing season (and I believe needs really high temps as well) - I wanted to try growing some but after reading what they require, decided not to even try it. I AM growing okra this year - that's typically southern isn't it?
I tried growing okra in the past for my Jamaican BIL who misses it but the years I tried were wet and cold and nothing ever came of it.

My aunt grew okra years and years ago when she came across a package of seeds she didn't recognize. She turned out to have a bumper crop of the things but she didn't know what to do with them so she did nothing. She shared the story of her bumper crop when I shared the story of my failure.

But I do have the Egyptian Walking Onion in my garden as my weird experiment of the year.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:09 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,280,065 times
WOW! Very cool!

Old 05-23-2012, 07:03 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
You can get Okra pretty readily these days in major Canadian cities, in my experience. The large amount of immigration we get from India has helped, you can always find Okra in an Indian grocery, or in a fruits and vegetables store. Ten years ago, however, I had more trouble getting fresh Okra, usually had to go with frozen.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:02 PM

93,169 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Let me very clear, there is NO southern cuisine in Canada. There is my experience very little of it in the northern states either. The genuine thing that is!!!!!
You must not have been to urban neighborhoods in Northern cities then. You can get Soul Food here in Syracuse. Remember that many of the Black people in these cities have Southern roots, including myself. Heck, some in SW Ontario and parts of the Maritimes, especially Nova Scotia do as well. It is more distant though.

I'm not surprised that Windsor has a restaurant and I'd think that the bigger Eastern cities in Canada have one as well. I know some have a Popeye's Chicken too.

Also, if you guys ever come to Syracuse and want to try some Soul Food, check out Thomas's Kitchen or Ruby's Soul Food, both on the city's South Side on South Salina Street. Ruby's is in a more "comfortable" area of that side of town. We also have a few Jamaican restaurants here too. It's pretty much the same for the other major and mid-major cities in Upstate NY and Michigan. Facebook

Thomas' Kitchen - Syracuse | Urbanspoon
Thomas' Kitchen, Syracuse, NY 13205 | MenuPix Syracuse

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-23-2012 at 08:21 PM..

Old 05-23-2012, 08:25 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Popeye's Chicken is awsome and I find it way better than KFC but it is a little spicy/hot if you have not had it before ...I know they are a few Chains here in Vancouver/The Lower Mainland but not sure about the rest of Canada...
Anyways here's a link.

Popeyes Chicken and Biscuits - New Orleans Cajun Fried Chicken Restaurant Franchise
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I know some have a Popeye's Chicken too.
Popeyes' Chicken seems pretty well-represented in the GTA at least, as well as at least a couple other spots in southern Ontario if I recall correctly.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luhts View Post
I think there is some confusion in Canada regarding the difference between a Yam and a sweet potato. Most Canadian people I know have had the orange variety but not the white.
People in Canada eat dark, leafy greens but wouldn't know them as "collard greens". It is in the same plant family as kale, I believe, which is growing in popularity in Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
Yams and sweet potatoes are different. Most yams are truly tropical and native to Africa and Asia, while sweet potatoes are native to Central and South America and can be cultivated in cooler areas, although places warmer than you will find in Canada. My home state of Mississippi is a major sweet potato producer in the U.S.

God bless,

CKB
Yeah, part of the confusion is that they tend to be either used interchangeably or be used for different varieties of sweet potatoes themselves (eg. call one particular, softer, variety of sweet potato "yam" but not another, firmer variety). I actually didn't know about this practice, but from what someone mentioned on the food forum on city-data here, the U.S. Department of Agriculture requires that the label "yam" always be accompanied by "sweet potato." which actually contributes to the confusion.

What is the difference between sweet potatoes and yams? Everyday Mysteries:Fun Science Facts from the Library of Congress)

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/a...eetpotato.html

Apparently, it's said that originally the African slaves had brought with them true tropical yams from the Old World, but they couldn't grow in the United States due to the climate, and the name yam was then used for the sweet potato instead, due to their resemblance.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:45 PM

The sweet potato has a shorter growing season than the yam, which probably explains why the former did so well in the southern United States -- the hot season would need to be extended even longer for the tropical yam to thrive.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:32 AM

61 posts, read 194,760 times
BBQ is getting more popular with restaurants opening with that as their theme. BBQ as in ribs/wings etc. But other than that, it is not any more popular than Vietnamese, Ethiopian, or other niche sub group.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:35 AM

207 posts, read 926,028 times
FYI:

Toronto Southern & Soul Restaurants | Urbanspoon

http://www.urbanspoon.com/f/250/2652...s | Urbanspoon

http://www.urbanspoon.com/f/14/1351/...s | Urbanspoon

Last edited by krock67; 05-27-2012 at 09:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada