Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 10:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Is Strange Brew really what one could call "a great Canadian movie"?
Probably most people wouldnt regard Strange Brew as great but i really liked it but then again i think one of the best shows of all time was Trailer Park Boys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 04:27 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Probably most people wouldnt regard Strange Brew as great but i really liked it but then again i think one of the best shows of all time was Trailer Park Boys.
That IS a good show. Guess we could add "Countdown to Liquor Day" to the list

Chris Balducci, if that's what you're looking for I'll narrow it down to a manageable few movies that concentrate more on Canada rather than just being stories that happen to take place in Canada with Canadian actors.

'The Shipping News', about a New Yorker returning to his ancestral home in Newfoundland
'Jesus of Montreal': about a controversial passion play that raises the ire of the Catholic Church
'Toronto Stories': vignettes surrounding an african boy who sneaks into Canda on a plane and wanders Toronto. Something of a love letter to the city.
'The Necessities of Life': About an Inuit man who travels to Quebec City to be treated for TB in the fifties. Addresses issues of the Aboriginal experience.
'Passchendale': A war movie about a Canadian soldier in WW1. Wasn't my favourite but alot of people liked it.
'Le Divan du Monde': A romance about a broke Acadian and a Quebecker hitchhiking from Vancouver to Prince Edward Island.
'One Week': An English Language alternative to the above, a motorcycle road trip movie from Toronto to BC by a man who's been diagnosed with Cancer.
'La Grande Seduction': A remote Quebec fishing village tries to get a doctor to move there in this comedy.
'FUBAR': A crass comedy about two uncouth friends heading up the oil sands for work.

Last edited by BIMBAM; 06-09-2012 at 05:43 PM..

Old 06-09-2012, 06:00 PM

637 posts, read 1,027,015 times
1970 movie, Goin Down the Road

About two east coasters trying to cope with
living in the big city, Toronto.

Made for very little money, nice little film.
Cool to see what Toronto looked like in 1970.

1973 movie, Paperback Hero
starring american actor Keir Dullea
set in Saskatchewan.
Good movie seldom seen, was released on VHS but never on DVD.

1988 movie, Some Girls
shot in Quebec in winter , also set in Quebec
starring a very young Patrick Dempsey and Jennifer Connelly

1970 movie, Act of the Heart
set and filmed in Montreal
starring Donald Sutherland and Genevieve Bujold
Very good movie with nice winter scenes.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:59 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Why Shoot the Teacher (a friend of ours had a part in it), and I remember seeing My American Cousin years ago and liking it.

Has Mon oncle Antoine been mentioned? If not, it should have. It has been voted the greatest Canadian film of all time. And Tales from the Gimli Hospital - I think it was the film that made Guy Maddin famous.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:24 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,181,247 times
Strange Brew?

Old 06-10-2012, 06:54 AM

395 posts, read 859,655 times
One note the shipping news isn't canadian it happens to be set in newfoundland but is no more canadian than any other movie.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:11 PM

63 posts, read 120,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
  • The Boys of St. Vincent
  • Secret Nation
I second this choice! Especially the Secret Nation.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:37 PM

468 posts, read 786,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Why Shoot the Teacher (a friend of ours had a part in it), and I remember seeing My American Cousin years ago and liking it.
I remember seeing some of My American Cousin a number of years ago.

CKB

Old 06-10-2012, 04:43 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,831 times
Waiting for Fidel is a delightfully bizarre documentary worth taking in if you want to see what Castro's Cuba was like in the early 1970s, complete with a visit to a Potemkin village and with the requisite handlers chiming in, toeing the party line.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:35 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
In spite of the fact it was made as an American movie and set in Chicago, Wayne's World is actually completely based on Mike Myers' youth growing up Scarborough (Toronto).

The references to road hockey, donut shops, classic rock, hanging out in his parents' finished basement, and a whole bunch of others, are all quite typical of the life experiences of young Canadian men of his generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada