Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your view on quebec seperation
I am very opposed to the Idea 18 45.00%
I am for it but keeping some sort of union between the two 1 2.50%
I am for total separation no union or special relationship 13 32.50%
I don't feel one way or the other 8 20.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 01:07 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,285,161 times

Advertisements

*popcorn*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 04:46 PM

32 posts, read 49,067 times
Well on the subject of cascadia, I can't see the US states wanting to comply with BC. Alberta? Sure. Being a Dual American/Canadian citizen.

But to be honest the west(BC AL MB SK YU and the NWT) do have an economic reason to seperate from Canada. If memory serves Me correctly very few western provinces receive any equalization payments that they put into Ontario and Quebec. One of the most common arguments I hear from Western separatists is that they want to form a nation so they can keep their money inside their borders and out of Ontario/Quebec. Which in a sense is a legit economic reason to leave in My opinion.

But I can only see the 6 western regions leaving if Quebec separates. Honestly I think if Quebec leaves the domino effect will come into place. Polls have shown atleast 46% of Albertans consider looking into forming their own country. But if the oil market goes down in the next few years, They can kiss their new republic goodbye(Aka becoming a state of the good ol US of A). I'm sure the United States would take BC AL and SK in a heartbeat. In that scenario I dont know what would happen to the territories.

The Maritimes have to join the US. they where prepared for statehood in 1995

The thing that intrigues Me the most. Is if the West and Quebec DO separate....What happens to Ontario? What do You guys think? I think ontario would wind up being the switzerland of North America. I can't see for the life of Me ontario joining the US. The West? Sure. But after living in both the US and Canada I can't see ontario putting up with the US constitution and laws.

Last edited by Heinrich7; 08-15-2012 at 06:11 PM..

Old 08-15-2012, 06:04 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,024 times
Personally, I wouldn't care if they left as I hardly consider them part of Canada to begin with. Besides, it would be a good lesson to any other traitors to watch their economy collapse and the U.S. military roll over their border "for security measures". America would never chance an civil war happening on their border. The moment that "Yes" vote was ratified, Quebec would become the unofficial 51st state, with none of the perks of actual membership.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:46 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,179,672 times
I'm sure most people right now would oppose Cascadia, because we're still living pretty well despite the economic crisis and most people wouldn't wanna risk rocking the boat, but what if the economy continues to get worse and the US and Canadian governments respond by becoming tyrannical? There's no doubt that British Columbians are a totally different people in many ways from Oregonians and Washingtonians, but at the same time Oregonians and Washingtonians are even more different from people in different parts of the United States.

In the Pacific Northwest, both the Canadian and American parts of the region, there is a sense of 'distance' from the rest of North America. It's hard to explain unless you are actually here.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:41 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
I cant speak for all BC'ers as i only know about a dozen or so but the ones i do know are staunchly Canadian and would laugh at the possibility of separating from Canada, also on my numerous trips to the west coast i find the people rather proud of their province and the role it plays in Canada.
However sometimes its not about what the people want its about what the government wants.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:33 AM

455 posts, read 1,131,541 times
No offense to the poster above but i'd say the whole cascadia movement is very fringe all around. I'm talking in BC and in washington/oregon.

It has no where near the real world political ramification that the quebec separatist movement has. I'd even place it behind the alberta speratist movements on a scale of viability/reality. I sort of feel the whole pacific north west connection is a little overblown as well. I feel oregonians and washingtonians maybe even northern californians feel somewhat more of a kinship with eachother than with BC due to the fact it is in another country.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
No offense to the poster above but i'd say the whole cascadia movement is very fringe all around. I'm talking in BC and in washington/oregon.

It has no where near the real world political ramification that the quebec separatist movement has. I'd even place it behind the alberta speratist movements on a scale of viability/reality. I sort of feel the whole pacific north west connection is a little overblown as well. I feel oregonians and washingtonians maybe even northern californians feel somewhat more of a kinship with eachother than with BC due to the fact it is in another country.
Cascadia really isn't a serious ramification in reality. But the Six western regions leaving is possible. I think around 36% of people outside alberta(46%) are interested in forming their own country. So those numbers are not far behind Quebec's 40%. The main reason I say that is the US states really don't want to leave the Union. When I lived in Washington and Montana very few people talked about leaving the US as opposed to BC and Alberta. If the West leaves, It will be the Canadian side only. And I doubt many BCers or Albertans want California's 35+ million to govern them. They would just become the new Ontario/Quebec.

I do think the next Referendum for Quebec will be a Yes, After Harper. Defiantly. Usually from what I've seen the Yes votes usually go 15-20% over the polls *Interested* number(Which in 1995 I think was 25-30%) And that winded up being 49%.

I think if the country does split. Here is what I think will play out. The West will do fine provided the Oil market stays profitable. This will give Alberta/BC time to build Manufacturing Centers something which they lack. Then they can enter all the other markets. If Alberta and BC do bad economically, The Western Provinces will join the US I can guarantee that. The West wouldn't consider going back to Canada.

Quebec has kind of the same situation, But I think we should take out the US option provided they don't invade them. If Quebec fails I think it would go back to a Union between Ontario. But I really can't see Quebec failing Economically. Much of Canada outside Quebec think they will fall like a plane into the ground on everything. Quebec has a lot of resources it can use. As long as it has time to harvest it's resources I think it will do fine on it's own.

Honestly, I think the one province that will REALLY be screwed over is Ontario. I do think it will become a single region Country. If we're talking about leaving out the territories, Then Ontario is the most resource ridden Province. All Ontario's purpose is communication Hub and to serve as a Manufacturing Center. I honestly think Ontario will fail economically faster then Quebec if we're going by that. In that Scenario Ontario may have to join the US. Perhaps even before the West did(Or didn't provide they do well). And being landlocked(Besides the Hudson bay ports) means Ontario has no access to the Eastern Seaboard. Just another reason I think it will wind up joining the US by default.

As for the Maritimes, I remember watching a Canadian video about Canada building a massive bridge system through Quebec to get into the Maritimes(And I mean a MASSIVE bridge, Like a Interstate skyline). I kind of chuckled at that. Because I think the Maritimes know that if Quebec's votes go Yes then they pretty much are already US States. Canada shouldn't even bother in that case. Reality does not work that way, And the Eastern Seaboard would suffer for years knowing Canada takes forever to get something like that done.

Last edited by Heinrich7; 08-16-2012 at 05:19 AM..

Old 08-16-2012, 05:43 AM

233 posts, read 538,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich7 View Post
But to be honest the west(BC AL MB SK YU and the NWT) do have an economic reason to seperate from Canada. If memory serves Me correctly very few western provinces receive any equalization payments that they put into Ontario and Quebec. One of the most common arguments I hear from Western separatists is that they want to form a nation so they can keep their money inside their borders and out of Ontario/Quebec. Which in a sense is a legit economic reason to leave in My opinion.
Accept for BC and Manitoba which are have not provinces.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poscstudent View Post
Accept for BC and Manitoba which are have not provinces.
For Manitoba I agree. But I think they will tag along with the rest of the gang.

For BC, They need to build up their infrastructure. Otherwise Alberta would be fueling the New Nation for a few years.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:11 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich7 View Post
As for the Maritimes, I remember watching a Canadian video about Canada building a massive bridge system through Quebec to get into the Maritimes(And I mean a MASSIVE bridge, Like a Interstate skyline).
Why couldn't people simply drive through Quebec from Ontario the Maritimes on the highways that are already there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada