Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your view on quebec seperation
I am very opposed to the Idea 18 45.00%
I am for it but keeping some sort of union between the two 1 2.50%
I am for total separation no union or special relationship 13 32.50%
I don't feel one way or the other 8 20.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 06:49 PM

32 posts, read 49,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Why does Canada force a bilingualism on the rest of Canada when hardly any one speaks French outside Quebec? 75 seats in the House of Commons might have something to do with it..
Another reason for the West to separate ;p

I don't think many people out West like Half the Government coming from Quebec.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 06:54 PM

637 posts, read 1,026,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryR64 View Post
Would love to see Quebec go...... Returned to a Federal Government were hiring is based on skills and merit rather than language. Would love to see them take the city of Ottawa's Nazi-esque language police with them!!
I'm agreeing with you on this one Jerry.
I like to blame Trudeau for most of fed gov language stuff.

I bet a lot of Canadians would be surprised how many federal government offices
(infrastructure) are located on the Quebec side of the river (Gatineau/former Hull)
If Quebec ever separated, the Canadian Government would have abit of a problem
moving all those offices/departments to Ottawa (Ontario side of the river).

Bilingualism is king in Ottawa, and guess who are more bilingual

Ottawa/Gatineau maybe shouldn't be in a "province".
Have federal district like USA or Australia might be better

Old 08-16-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burloak View Post

(infrastructure) are located on the Quebec side of the river (Gatineau/former Hull)

One thing that I think would help Canada with the separatists movements is a decentralized nation.

I think the whole reason Canada has the separation problem is the Centralized government. One thing that the US boast's better is more self government whiten states

Old 08-16-2012, 07:04 PM

869 posts, read 1,124,854 times
Quebec is occupying less and less of my thoughts these days and apparently more and more of my pocketbook

I hope they do go their own way, whatever my homeland winds up as apart of I am safe in knowing Quebecers wont have any say into and will require a passport to access

Old 08-16-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
Quebec is occupying less and less of my thoughts these days and apparently more and more of my pocketbook

I hope they do go their own way, whatever my homeland winds up as apart of I am safe in knowing Quebecers wont have any say into and will require a passport to access
You have to take into consideration of the effect on Canada's life. Remember Quebec holds many seats in Ottawa. And Second the Maritimes are cut off(Unless Quebec makes and arrangement for letting them by). Which in turn, Cut's off the rest of Canada from the Atlantic(Ontario would have to focus on using Hudson bay for all imports.

A Deal with the US for trade wouldn't be too bad either. They could use their ports.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burloak View Post

And I like what You said right there. You said it. Ottawa should be a district. Not Ontario. Having it be apart of a province makes it's only interests in Ontario and Quebec. It will want whatever is best for itself. And we see that with the Equalization payments year after year. Don't know why Ontario and Quebec are getting Equalization payments with 21 million people. If anything *some* that money should be going towards the west.

But no, Ontario and Quebec will use it.

It's the American Revolution similarity, Lets make the regions farther away from home pay for us. I fully agree that West has an economic abuse reason to separate.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:39 PM

455 posts, read 1,131,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich7 View Post
One thing that I think would help Canada with the separatists movements is a decentralized nation.

I think the whole reason Canada has the separation problem is the Centralized government. One thing that the US boast's better is more self government whiten states
It's funny how things have worked out for the 2 nations. Canada started out super centralized mcdonald didn't even like the idea of separate provinces however the canadian provinces are some of the most decentralized territories in the world. I mean look at how much power premiers wield compared to your average us state governor.

It was the opposite for the US starting very decentralized but since the end of the civil war and more so the great depression things have become very centralized among the states and government.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:51 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Quote:
Quite simply to please Quebec. Even though .07 % of most other provinces speak French all of them still need it an official language.

I don't see English as an official language of Quebec >_>
Actually no. English is the sole official language of every other Canadian province except New Brunswick, which is Canada's only officially bilingual province. French has no official status in the other provinces at a provincial level. French is only there at the federal level. Quebec has English at the federal level but also provides many services in English, with bilingual hospitals, public schools, and (although they've been dickish lately) English service at provincial departments.

Also there's a million Francophones outside Quebec. Last I checked, that's not 0.07%, more like a solid 3-4% and they were HERE FIRST.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:58 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Quote:
Quite simply to please Quebec. Even though .07 % of most other provinces speak French all of them still need it an official language.

I don't see English as an official language of Quebec >_>
Actually no. English is the sole official language of every other Canadian province except New Brunswick, which is Canada's only officially bilingual province. French has not official status in the other provinces at a provincial level. French is only there at the federal level. Quebec has English at the federal level but also provides many services in English, with bilingual hospitals, public schools, and (although they've been dickish lately) English service at provincial departments.

Also there's a million Francophones outside Quebec. Last I checked, that's not 0.07%, it's the population of Edmonton.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Actually no. English is the sole official language of every other Canadian province except New Brunswick, which is Canada's only officially bilingual province. French has no official status in the other provinces at a provincial level. French is only there at the federal level. Quebec has English at the federal level but also provides many services in English, with bilingual hospitals, public schools, and (although they've been dickish lately) English service at provincial departments.

Also there's a million Francophones outside Quebec. Last I checked, that's not 0.07%, more like a solid 3-4% and they were HERE FIRST.
In most of the west it's <1%. For Ontario You're right it's about 2.5%

SK has a french speaking population of 0.5% , AL has 0.7% and BC has 0.5%. Personally I don't think their should be an official language. Many countries do that now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada