Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 08:26 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times

Advertisements

If Canada's spirit of "progress" is like that of the United States, many well-loved businesses and traditions have gone by the wayside (the drug store ice-cream fountain, the drive-in theater, etc). What "institutions" from the past do you miss? For example, do you miss Woolco and their "Red Grilles"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 08:28 AM

984 posts, read 2,712,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
If Canada's spirit of "progress" is like that of the United States, many well-loved businesses and traditions have gone by the wayside (the drug store ice-cream fountain, the drive-in theater, etc). What "institutions" from the past do you miss?
Only 3 matter and they aren't going anywhere..
Hockey
Timmies
Canadian Tire

Old 08-30-2012, 09:25 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
Toronto's PCC street cars, WH Smiths, stubby beer bottles, top 10 AM radio (CKGM,CHUM..),and I miss old jingles:
"Why do more Canadians shop at Dominion..."
"We're going Steinbergs for family shopping..."

Old 08-30-2012, 09:30 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
Only 3 matter and they aren't going anywhere..
Hockey
Timmies
Canadian Tire
Hockey is really not that important for many people.
I doubt more than 20% of the population watch hockey games regularly.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:41 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
I am not sure if these are institutions but certainly many British (to me anyway) traditions in Canada from Yorkshire pudding to eating vinegar on your French fries seem to be declining in popularity.

On a whole other level many aboriginal cultural, traditions and languages are dying out all across Canada. While some are more robust (Inuit, Cree, and a few others) it is not an exaggeration to say that many of them are dropping like flies.

The French Canadian culture, language and traditions are also dying out rapidly in many parts of the country where francophones are a small minority of the population.

And to some degree those things which could be called "English Canadian" or "anglo" are dying out in certain parts of Quebec as well.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:44 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I think it's higher than that. Polls show 30-40% of Canadians follow the NHL. And that's just the NHL - there are people who follow their local hockey teams only, or their kids' teams only.

People sometimes exaggerate in their association of hockey and Canada as if 100% of the population was really into it, but certainly hockey in Canada is every bit as popular and ingrained as the "national" sport (whatever that is) is in any other country.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:59 AM

271 posts, read 532,306 times
Take football in Texas. That's basically pro hockey to Canadians.

That's not to say that people in TX ALL like football, but that the influence and preference is unavoidable. You get more hockey coverage in the summer than you do for summer sports, often.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:26 AM

984 posts, read 2,712,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I said Hockey.. not NHL..
add in the minors , the teams kids play on, tournaments, scrub games, Old-timer leauges and kids playing in local parks and back yard rinks you will get way above 20 percent.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:31 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illcosby View Post
Take football in Texas. That's basically pro hockey to Canadians.

That's not to say that people in TX ALL like football,
Actually, it's now a requirement. It's part of the vetting process before they'll let you have a drivers license here.

Other questions;

Tom Landry - Great Coach, or Greatest Coach?
What are the three food groups? - BBQ, Mexican, Tex-Mex
What States border Texas? - Who cares? I'm already in TEXAS! Woooooo!

Old 09-01-2012, 11:01 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
In the 50s, every little town in Canada had a Chinese restaurant -- sometimes the only restaurant in town, which always had a Canadian menu as well.

In the 50s, most Canadian gas stations (remember White Rose and BA?) had gravel, instead of pavement, around the pump islands.

Even as late as 1970, fairly large Canadian cities (like Moncton) had only one radio station. You listen to whatever is on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada