Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 02:25 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
"Spanish"? This is exactly the kind of thing that causes provinces like Quebec to feel isolated, when they sometimes aren't even considered as members of the same nationality as those speaking the majority language in the country.

I'm so tired of people using terms like "Québécois" instead of French Canadian. We're one nation, let's act like it.
pdw its Quebec thats wanting to leave Canada even though the rest of Canada wishes it would stay. Quebecs isolation IMO is self imposed as a result of all its linguistic rules and regulation and its apparent intolerance for most things non Francophone,
We are one nation? Never doubted it for a moment but i dont think Marois and her separatist supporters got that memo...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 07:14 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,095,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
pdw its Quebec thats wanting to leave Canada even though the rest of Canada wishes it would stay. Quebecs isolation IMO is self imposed as a result of all its linguistic rules and regulation and its apparent intolerance for most things non Francophone,
We are one nation? Never doubted it for a moment but i dont think Marois and her separatist supporters got that memo...
I don't agree with you that the majority of French Canadians want independence. I see Quebec as an integral part of Canada. I don't feel as if we could even call ourselves Canada anymore if we were to split apart. We wouldn't be the same country, at least not in my mind. I don't think we should let ourselves sink to the level of treating French Canadians as a separate nationality just because of a bit of political drama.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:03 AM

Quote:
I don't agree with you that the majority of French Canadians want independence. I see Quebec as an integral part of Canada. I don't feel as if we could even call ourselves Canada anymore if we were to split apart. We wouldn't be the same country, at least not in my mind. I don't think we should let ourselves sink to the level of treating French Canadians as a separate nationality just because of a bit of political drama.
Obviously we are talking in general terms as i cant speak for every single Quebecer ,but there are enough Quebecers who want independence that a separatist government is in power in Quebec and if they had a majority government i have no doubt that they'd be calling for a referendum on separation.
pdw I get the impression that your opinion if Quebec separates would be its all over for Canada., i dont share that opinion and think it would be Quebec who would be suffering hardship,Canada would continue to operate as usual with out the anchor that is Quebec.,

Old 11-23-2013, 07:10 AM
pdw

Maybe, but what will happen to our country's identity?w

Old 11-23-2013, 08:57 AM

I think world wide Canada would still be perceived as Canada.
These Harvard students probably represent a general idea of what many know about Canada. I wouldnt worry about Canadas reputation in a break-up as most probably have no idea.
http://news.yahoo.com/whats-the-capi...140610532.html

Old 11-24-2013, 08:52 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
I don't agree with you that the majority of French Canadians want independence. I see Quebec as an integral part of Canada. I don't feel as if we could even call ourselves Canada anymore if we were to split apart. We wouldn't be the same country, at least not in my mind..
I agree with you 100%. Somehow jambo sees this as some kind of disloyalty to Canada but to me it's a no-brainer. I am a francophone so take most of the francophones out the country then it's not my country any more. A country to me is more than a map on a bloody Hilroy school exercise book.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:42 PM
pdw

If you removed the anglophones from Quebec, would it still be your province?
What are you trying to say? That if Quebec separated, you'd renounce your Canadian citizenship? That isn't exactly loyal.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:05 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
If you removed the anglophones from Quebec, would it still be your province?
What are you trying to say? That if Quebec separated, you'd renounce your Canadian citizenship? That isn't exactly loyal.
Seems pretty logical to me. If all the Anglophones were out of Quebec it wouldn't exactly be the place I grew up in either and I probably wouldn't identify with it as much. It really wouldn't be the same country without Quebec in it, it would be two distinctly separate successor states.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:13 PM
pdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Seems pretty logical to me. If all the Anglophones were out of Quebec it wouldn't exactly be the place I grew up in either and I probably wouldn't identify with it as much. It really wouldn't be the same country without Quebec in it, it would be two distinctly separate successor states.
That's how I see it. Quebec isn't Quebec without Canada and Canada isn't Canada without Quebec.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I agree with you 100%. Somehow jambo sees this as some kind of disloyalty to Canada but to me it's a no-brainer. I am a francophone so take most of the francophones out the country then it's not my country any more. A country to me is more than a map on a bloody Hilroy school exercise book.
If you are a Canadian and live in the Canadian province of Quebec and you want that province to separate from Canada? i dont think labeling those that want to separate as disloyal to Canada is a concept thats out of the ball park.
Again its the separatists who are the malcontents as its they who want to separate from Canada and not Canada wanting to separate from Quebec, Disloyal to Canada? what would you call it AJ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada