Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 01:20 PM

12 posts, read 23,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmaq32 View Post
Goto st john's there's endless fog and rain, and people will be all up in your personal life in seconds.
From one extreme to another
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 02:34 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,862,764 times
Just drive west to Dundas if you want some curvy roads and nice scenery. It's only an hour west of Toronto.

Or take a weekend trip down to Ellicottville, NY and enjoy the mountains to your heart's content. It's only two to three hours from Toronto.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:39 PM

377 posts, read 1,695,976 times
Your location says "NW Toronto"? Where exactly - North York, NW Etobicoke, NW GTA (aka Brampton)?

Frankly, nowhere in NW area in the City of Toronto would be my cup of tea either. The people are much more pleasant and hospitable and community oriented on the outer fringes of the city. Places like Ancaster, Burlington, Oakville, Aurora etc would have alot more appeal to somebody like yourself than living in the 416.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:50 PM

254 posts, read 316,356 times
Learn some French and move to Quebec.

P.S. You probably don't say "butter." You say "butta."

Old 11-28-2012, 03:16 PM

577 posts, read 1,476,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebok View Post
Ooh .... Driving on a curvy road, using the gears .... The thought of it gives me a twinge of excitement
Oh yeah, and it's not that far from Toronto - you could come visit it sometimes. There are at least four roundabouts that you can try as well. There is even a website trying to educate the Canadians on how to use them properly :-)

Old 11-28-2012, 05:51 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,346,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmaq32 View Post
Goto st john's there's endless fog and rain, and people will be all up in your personal life in seconds.
I am the son of a Newfoundlander and I have spent quite a bit of time on "The Rock". I have also spent significant time in the UK (and not just in London). I agree with those who say that Newfoundland might be a better fit for you. Many British customs are still observed, and the people there seem more connected to England than in some other parts of Canada. It's also easy to get to London, with several flights weekly out of St. John's. Newfoundlanders are the friendliest people I have ever met, and I was not surprised about the stories of many people stranded there on 9/11 about the hospitality they received from complete strangers.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:51 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times
There are a LOT of Brits in Burlington Ontario --- although it's an older group, the ones who immigrated during wwII.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:21 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Just take a short drive up #10 hwy to the "Forks of the Credit River" hang a left and enjoy the road.

Roundabouts over here are confusing to nort americano's for all the wrong reasons.

From driving extensively in all parts of the U.K. over many years of travel there; the efficiency of the common roundabout to the triple ones never ceased to amaze me.

The pure wastage of fuel coming to a stop at an intersection, idling, then accelerating to get yourself and your behemouth up to speed again is mindnumbingly stupid by comparison.

Those canny Brits learned something from those goods trains of yore by circling the wagons at major crossings and just entering the circle to peel off at your chosen route thus saving your oxen or Clydesdales the strain of stopping and starting the heavy loads.

A great pity we didn't emulate them on that and perhaps a few other things like lane discipline when overtaking. Nothing worse than being stuck behind a left lane bandit over here. Over there you overtake and move back as soon as you've accomplished the task.

The lifestyle over there would lure any sane person with a decent income. Walk or ride the efficient public transit to work in the morning and on the walk home, stop at a local pup for a quick pint then continue your walk home picking up your "messages" for the evening meal, eat early and head to another "local" for a couple of pints with friends and a few games of darts to then return home for a bit of telly and off to bed while never having to set your lazy arse behind the wheel of a car.

Having said all of the above; you really need a dose of rural Ontario to shed the Toronto aloofness. You can easily find your traditional environment, albeit without the sensible liquor laws of the U.K., but nonetheless a utopia where your neighbours know your name and your schedule and worry when you've not been seen for a couple of days or are bedridden with the flu and will leave a pot of chicken soup on your porch for your hubby to feed the kiddies with while you're laid up. Those places exist in quantity; you've just got to look for them.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:39 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
I am the son of a Newfoundlander and I have spent quite a bit of time on "The Rock". I have also spent significant time in the UK (and not just in London). I agree with those who say that Newfoundland might be a better fit for you. Many British customs are still observed, and the people there seem more connected to England than in some other parts of Canada. It's also easy to get to London, with several flights weekly out of St. John's. Newfoundlanders are the friendliest people I have ever met, and I was not surprised about the stories of many people stranded there on 9/11 about the hospitality they received from complete strangers.
Hey bye; you don't have to be stranded there to experience their hospitality. It's just a natural behaviour for them's on the rock.

If you're not prepared for a complete stranger to engage you in friendly discourse, you better stay away from that part of the world.

I bet you could tell a Newfie you left your wallet back at the hotel and he'd probably pay for your meal.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:33 PM

12 posts, read 23,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Just drive west to Dundas if you want some curvy roads and nice scenery. It's only an hour west of Toronto.

Or take a weekend trip down to Ellicottville, NY and enjoy the mountains to your heart's content. It's only two to three hours from Toronto.
Nice British food shop there too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada