Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 09:24 AM

384 posts, read 1,709,806 times

Advertisements

I ask this question because I like to compare differences and different point of views. Taken into consideration that I am planning on relocating to Canada in about a year or so as well as there are those in Canada who are planning on relocating or desire to relocate to the USA, I feel this would be good for comparison.
I currently live in the USA and these are only SOME of the things I hate about the USA.

1-We are very arrogant and feel that we are better than everyone else.
2-The damn rednecks and gangsters
3-Employers not willing to provide adequate health insurance or pension for employees
4-The fact that we are always telling other country how to run their country but hate to admit that we have major flaws in our own homes.
5-Social Welfare system, you can live and pay taxes but God forbids you lose your job, you will have to exhaust all your resources before getting governmental assistance while others who has never worked a day in their lives or is not here legally can get the assistance that my taxes paid for while I have to struggle to get it.
6-Educational system is declining
7-Constant increase in college tuition and higher taxes
8-High Crime
9-Marijuana (though am not a smoker) is too much of a big issue here.
10-Gun Laws
11-Hidden racism
12-Very low tolerance for illegal immigrants
13-Americans are always the first to tell you to go back to where you came from
14-The Right-To-Work Laws in many states
15-Corupt governmental and judicial system
16-Many areas in all states still segregated, but not looked on as being segregated.
17-Recent incident of the Jena 6 (Still reflects the racism here in America)
18-Lack of unity amongst the black race
19-Criminals have too many rights
20-High cost of living within many states with low salaried positions.
21-Decline in economy
22-Devaluation of the dollar
23-Americans not willing to accept George Bush is a major screw up
24-The fact that our list of international enemies are growing
25-Children are starving and living without health benefits but we can take care of other countries needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 09:58 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Canada has a few of those problems problems you listed...

Federal Pensions pay very little here, so employer paid pensions are popular, at least as a supplement pension, yet we still have companies laying off or firing people just before they become "vested members", so they can save money not paying the pension.

My main issues with Canada are smaller ones:

-I'd like 65 F-plus temps to predominate over most of the year, instead of sub-65 F temps.
-Can't buy grits or many other "Southern specialty" foods here

Old 10-14-2007, 10:26 AM

25 posts, read 213,733 times
Minimun wage!
im a student and work Harder than most people at my work.
and because there full time, they make more, its stupid.
also, the way the government treats the first nations in canada.
ever been on a reserve? its worse than a 3rd world country.
i hate how the canadian government makes the first nations seem like
the most violent people and seem so well off, well their not.
they are living in the worst kind of poverty, and the government tries to keep it behind closed doors.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:38 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack-Attack View Post
Minimun wage!
im a student and work Harder than most people at my work.
and because there full time, they make more, its stupid.

also, the way the government treats the first nations in canada.
ever been on a reserve? its worse than a 3rd world country.
i hate how the canadian government makes the first nations seem like
the most violent people and seem so well off, well their not.
they are living in the worst kind of poverty, and the government tries to keep it behind closed doors.
I've had those kind of jobs, you have my sympathies.

I actually have been to a reserve or two.
The ones I've seen look like any other rural community,
the local kids attend public school with other kids outside the reserve, just like most other kids.
In our area, we don't make them look violent, if they do look violent they made themselves look that way.

But... I've only seen reserves in southern Ontario. I wouldn't be surprised if it's totally different in most other reserves, as I've heard in the news some of the horror stories from reserves in remote northern Canada.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:04 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,070,295 times
Quote:
22-Devaluation of the dollar
That's a give or take scenario. Certain aspects of economy and growth will benefit tremendously from a weaker dollar. Other things won't.
Quote:
7-Constant increase in college tuition and higher taxes
This is a universal problem, not an American problem. And taxes in Canada are hefty, have you done your research?
Quote:
12-Very low tolerance for illegal immigrants
I didn't realize Americans were to be tolerant of people who break the law. They are illegal for a reason. Now, if that comment was "Americans have very low tolerance for immigrants" - that would make much more sense.
Quote:
11-Hidden racism
Another problem certainly not unique to America.
Quote:
18-Lack of unity amongst the black race
Who's fault is that?
Quote:
21-Decline in economy
Wow, you need to do your homework. Our economy has slowed down off and on in the last year or two, but our trade deficit is lower than it's been in ages and we still see steady positive numbers.
Quote:
23-Americans not willing to accept George Bush is a major screw up
That's also not true. His approval ratings are god-awful. Even worse than Clinton when he was in a sex scandal! I think the majority of Americans now agree Bush was a big mistake. Ya know, proof of that was us kinda electing a Democratic house and senate last year, no?
Quote:
24-The fact that our list of international enemies are growing
This is a Bush induced problem, thankfully he will be out of office shortly.

You really need to do some major research before you state things that are wildly inaccurate. Other than these things I've mentioned, I agree with some of what you say.

I adore Canada and had my own aspirations of possibly becoming a citizen. Then I did my own research. Canada is just like any other country. They have a plethora of serious problems but they also do certain other things completely right.

Last edited by guylocke; 10-14-2007 at 04:22 PM..

Old 10-14-2007, 04:04 PM

66 posts, read 203,995 times
- People seem to look down on many other countries even though they haven't been there
- Often don't allow foreign-trained professionals to work yet don't even give them the opportunity to take exam/ evaluations
- Elected officials don't keep promises then get re-elected
- Where I live - weather too extreme - hot and humid on one end and long winter on the other end
- A number of social problems that are better left unmentioned

Old 10-14-2007, 04:19 PM

66 posts, read 203,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boylocke View Post
You really need to do some major research before you state things that are wildly inaccurate. Other than these things I've mentioned, I agree with some of what you say.
Wildly inaccurate? Jade is mainly listing opinions. You appear to be looking to start something.

I believe the reference to 'higher taxes' was meaning that they are higher than before. Not higher than Canada's.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:24 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,070,295 times
Quote:
Jade is mainly listing opinions.
Well I'd hate for someone to be under an opinion based upon false facts. I'm not trying to start something, but it's important to support your beliefs with truth. Maybe wildly inaccurate was a bit harsh, lol, I've just been so discouraged with my own ventures in Canadian/American comparisons.
Quote:
I believe the reference to 'higher taxes' was meaning that they are higher than before. Not higher than Canada's.
Actually Bush lowered taxes. I'm not saying that was a good or bad move, but it happened.

Last edited by guylocke; 10-14-2007 at 04:34 PM..

Old 10-14-2007, 04:37 PM

18,022 posts, read 27,468,060 times
What do I hate about Canada? Well I find "Hate" to be a pretty strong word, but I'll give it a shot:

1. I HATE that clean air.
2. I HATE that unpolluted and usable water.
3. I HATE those clean and beatiful large Metropolitan areas.
4. I HATE that home-grown hockey talent (Aside from Modano)
5. I HATE their reluctance to blow the rest of the world up.
6. I HATE their concern for education and affordable healthcare.
7. I HATE the way they talk. What's all that aboot?
8. I HATE how their heads bob up and down off their face when they talk.
9. I HATE Terrance and Phillip. They are just foul.

Heck, outside of the Red Green Show and Molson beer, it's worthless!

Last edited by McGowdog; 10-14-2007 at 06:04 PM..

Old 10-14-2007, 05:49 PM

384 posts, read 1,709,806 times
[quote=boylocke;1731224]

This is a universal problem, not an American problem. And taxes in Canada are hefty, have you done your research?

Firstly as I stated before, I wanted to do some comparison. And as for Hefty taxes in Canada, hmmm let's talk about companies not willing to pay for insurance coverages anymore so in order to provide for your family's health plan, many Americans are faced with paying over $300.00 per pay period for medical, dental and vision coverages. Along with having to pay so much for benefits, you still have your high deductibles and 20-40% co-insurances that has to be met. Yes I have done my research and frankly after paying my high insurance coverages and doctor bills, we still come out a bit more expensive thant he Canadians.

I didn't realize Americans were to be tolerant of people who break the law. They are illegal for a reason. Now, if that comment was "Americans have very low tolerance for immigrants" - that would make much more sense.

I do believe that what I say about Low tolerance for immigrants was basically the same..I suggest you read properly before you make inaccurate accusations and judgements.
Now your remark about illegal immigrants commiting crimes really gets me laughing. Are you saying that Americans do not commit crimes? Are you saying that the vast majority of crimes being committed in this country is by illegal immigrants? If that is your claim, I suggest that YOU do more research.

I also recall stating that the reason for my asking that question is to do some comparison...Now making comparison is not actually making false accusations is it?

Knowing that there is no unity amongst blacks within the United States, was not an accusation but yet another comparison of untied people in Canada are oppose to living in the United States.

Is the Canadian dollar losing its value as the American dollar currently is? Yet another comparison that I would like to make.

Might I suggest that if you want to start an argument or be critical of someone's request for comparison at least read before you judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada