Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 01:41 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times

Advertisements

Glad to hear this worked out for Canada and the authorities were able to foil this.

I look forward to the future Oscar-winning film version of this story, where Ben Affleck gives all the major roles of those who helped stop the plot to Americans...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 03:18 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,409,857 times
Glad this was stopped in time, and no lives were lost. This is not the first time a terrorist attack has been stopped in Canada, I'm glad it was the Muslim community themselves that turned them in. I hope these terrorist acts (along with religous fanaticism) will disapear all together in the future, And education and secularism, peace and love take over. Im glad no lives were lost. Peace peace peace!

Old 04-24-2013, 08:02 AM

33 posts, read 269,308 times
I wish that terrorists would just leave us alone! if they don't like us then DONT come here! they are not even Canadian citizens, time to deport!

just stay away! please

Old 04-24-2013, 09:40 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,860,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalilly75 View Post
I wish that terrorists would just leave us alone! if they don't like us then DONT come here! they are not even Canadian citizens, time to deport!

just stay away! please
The terrorists will not leave us alone, and I am surprised it has taken them this long to focus on Canada as a prime location for attack. We fought the Taliban and Al Qaeda in Afghanistan for 10 years, our current government is a more ardent supporter of Israel than any other on Earth, and has done little-to-nothing to create ties with Arab and Muslim nations. We booted out our Iranian diplomats recently and cut off diplomatic ties with them. The message this sends to the Muslim world - we don't care about you and your problems.

However, Canada's Muslim community is very well integrated and 99% of them love Canada and are happy to be living here - I know this from ten years of teaching ESL to Muslim-Canadians. Our federal government does very little to foster ties with them, but we as individuals should do everything we can to be good neighbours to our Muslim citizens, and do more to make friends with them and help them feel as though they are truly a part of the wider Canadian community. The vast majority of Muslims are upstanding citizens and good, family-oriented people. They make excellent neighbours and friends, and desperately want to be be part of Canadian culture (while keeping those traditions that are most important to them intact, of course). So I urge everyone - if you have the chance, make friends with a Muslim. It helps bridge the gap between us and is good for both communities to have stronger ties.

Last edited by TOkidd; 04-24-2013 at 09:58 AM..

Old 04-24-2013, 10:12 AM

6 posts, read 10,217 times
Yeah Muslims are good there and i think they should get citizenship specially those who spend their lives for living in Canada.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:49 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Most impressive of all, the Canadian journalists asked the right questions, and the authorities answered them frankly and in detail. Such a welcome relief from American news stories that leave the reader screaming questions that were left unaddressed by the news coverage.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:09 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,409,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
The terrorists will not leave us alone, and I am surprised it has taken them this long to focus on Canada as a prime location for attack. We fought the Taliban and Al Qaeda in Afghanistan for 10 years, our current government is a more ardent supporter of Israel than any other on Earth, and has done little-to-nothing to create ties with Arab and Muslim nations. We booted out our Iranian diplomats recently and cut off diplomatic ties with them. The message this sends to the Muslim world - we don't care about you and your problems.

However, Canada's Muslim community is very well integrated and 99% of them love Canada and are happy to be living here - I know this from ten years of teaching ESL to Muslim-Canadians. Our federal government does very little to foster ties with them, but we as individuals should do everything we can to be good neighbours to our Muslim citizens, and do more to make friends with them and help them feel as though they are truly a part of the wider Canadian community. The vast majority of Muslims are upstanding citizens and good, family-oriented people. They make excellent neighbours and friends, and desperately want to be be part of Canadian culture (while keeping those traditions that are most important to them intact, of course). So I urge everyone - if you have the chance, make friends with a Muslim. It helps bridge the gap between us and is good for both communities to have stronger
ties.
This was not the first time Canada was the focus of an attack. And why should the federal government foster ties with the muslim community in particular? They are like any other group, I don't think they deserve any special treatment, we as individuals should treat EVERYONE with kindness I dont think muslims deserve to be treated any better then anyone else. Canada is a good country, thats why people come here. I have had muslims freinds, some were cool, some were religous fanatics. I'm an atheist and alot of my freinds are gay, i hope when we try to make frends with muslims they are accepting of our Canadian values as you expect us to be accepting of them.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:35 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
This was not the first time Canada was the focus of an attack. And why should the federal government foster ties with the muslim community in particular? They are like any other group, I don't think they deserve any special treatment, we as individuals should treat EVERYONE with kindness I dont think muslims deserve to be treated any better then anyone else. Canada is a good country, thats why people come here. I have had muslims freinds, some were cool, some were religous fanatics. I'm an atheist and alot of my freinds are gay, i hope when we try to make frends with muslims they are accepting of our Canadian values as you expect us to be accepting of them.
Bingo! RADICAL Sikh's planted bombs on two aircraft killing hundreds and I don't recall anyone affecting any special feelings other than outrage towards RADICAL Sikhism.

What's the deal with treating Muslim's as though they require and deserve special considerations?

They chose to come here, did they not? Did someone tell them beforehand that Canada would kiss their azzes if they demanded it?

Old 04-25-2013, 08:46 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,878,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Bingo! RADICAL Sikh's planted bombs on two aircraft killing hundreds and I don't recall anyone affecting any special feelings other than outrage towards RADICAL Sikhism.

What's the deal with treating Muslim's as though they require and deserve special considerations?

They chose to come here, did they not? Did someone tell them beforehand that Canada would kiss their azzes if they demanded it?
Agreed..We should grant them special treatment so some of their more radical members don't try to kill us in Terrorist attacks? Im also pretty sure that even if Canada was not in Afghanistan we would still be a target, as radicals dont like our 'decadent' lifestyles and percieve us as attacking Islam (how??)..I agree with the poster who remarked if you dont like our life styles, you dont like our politics then GTFO!...that is directed at Radical terrorists living here NOT the majority of upstanding muslims

Old 04-25-2013, 08:55 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,824,295 times
Yah the guy steps into court here in Toronto unrepresented and starts to shoot his mouth off saying he does not recognize our laws and our criminal code. He says it's just a "creation" and the only real creation are those of God and the Koran...Even the judge during this minor hearing was urging the guy to shut up for his own good. Also..authorities in charge of security are talking about searching passengers on Via Rail ...which is stupid. These trains are rarely packed with people. Sometimes during the run from Montreal to Toronto you might have 4 people per car...Not exactly a great terrorist target...What supposedly was going to take place was a derailment...The damaging of tracks or the placing of a device on the tracks to cause a derailment.

They should be surveying the tracks not looking for bombs in the economy class that is usually full of Japanese tourists...when it is full. Now there is an uproar regarding exchange students and why we let people in our country who don't like us..This one suspect was a man in his 30s who was studying for his PHD...What a jerk...He is given full support by our nation...a place to live - good and an education but does not want to abide by our laws..>Why is he even here...I would not bother even trying him...chain him up and ship him out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada