Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 10:29 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times

Advertisements

I used to go to Lake Champlain quite often until I bought my own place on a lake in the Laurentians. I don't see much point in going now. I used to live in the US. I don't much feel like going back. What for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 10:30 AM

796 posts, read 1,162,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I try to get to Detroit as often as I can. However....if the wonderful people in power over there go ahead with their idea of charging me an additional fee, on top of a crossing toll, simply for having the honour bestowed upon me for visiting America....I will cut my trips to twice a year, if not zero.
Since you live right across the border, how does it feel like crossing it?

Old 04-27-2013, 11:22 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
Since you live right across the border, how does it feel like crossing it?

Except for the extremly rude border agents, it doesn't feel different at all once you get past customs. Just another big city. Once you're out of Detroit and into the great state of Michigan, the only thing telling me I'm in America is Michigan plates, and American flags.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:44 PM

484 posts, read 1,286,667 times
When I was younger I use to spend every my summers in NYC (I used to alternate between NYC and Barbados), and Alternate my Christmases between NYC and here (Toronto). Now I go every year for 2 weeks around Labrador day. Last time I was there was in the summer (2012).

I also use to live in the US (not New york).

Old 04-27-2013, 05:50 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,723,130 times
I go to New York and Washington several times a year for work and have been to pretty much every major city in the States and pretty much every state except Alabama and Mississippi!

Old 04-27-2013, 08:31 PM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
I used to go about once a year, but my visits are much rarer now--I don't think I've been to the US in about three years.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:24 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times
i live there 6 months out of the year, so A LOT.
i tend to cross over at blue water since its the shortest route when driving to my place in southern Ontario and i absolutely HATE Detroit

Old 04-28-2013, 08:59 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
i live there 6 months out of the year, so A LOT.
i tend to cross over at blue water since its the shortest route when driving to my place in southern Ontario and i absolutely HATE Detroit
We first started our snowbirding with a larger fifth wheel trailer pulled by a custom built International Toter. Over the ensuing 12 years of RV travels, with 10 winters spent in Arizona and Texas, we eventually settled back into Florida, sold the RV and bought a home down there.

We love the fact we're now flying back and forth rather than taking the crap shoot of facing the silliest stuff by individual border agents of BOTH countries. Having your rig torn apart at the jealous whim of some high school drop-outs just got old, with you never knowing when you pulled up to that kiosk, either on the U.S. or the Canadian side upon return, what kind of day you were going to have.

I agree, the Bluewater crossing was the best of the western Ontario crossings. Detroit was used once and never again.

Now we show up with nothing but a small carry-on with our I-pads inside and breeze through to spend a couple of hours snoozing on the plane.

We love it down south and have had nothing but wonderful experiences and interactions throughout our travels there. Icing on the cake is reasonable green's fees.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:47 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
I typically go two to three times a year. I live about an hour or an hour and a half (depending on where I cross of the border) from the border.

Usually my family does one or two cross-border shopping weekends a year in upstate New York. Generally in the Syracuse area.

We often do another longer trip deeper into the U.S. Sometimes by car, sometimes by plane.

I haven't been to the States in 2013 yet. But I will probably be in New York and New Jersey at some point this summer.

I think I went over three times in 2012.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:35 AM

796 posts, read 1,162,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I typically go two to three times a year. I live about an hour or an hour and a half (depending on where I cross of the border) from the border.

Usually my family does one or two cross-border shopping weekends a year in upstate New York. Generally in the Syracuse area.

We often do another longer trip deeper into the U.S. Sometimes by car, sometimes by plane.

I haven't been to the States in 2013 yet. But I will probably be in New York and New Jersey at some point this summer.

I think I went over three times in 2012.
Make sure you visit Paramus, New Jersey malls. Bergen Town Center outlet and Garden State Plaza Mall - no sales tax on shoes and clothes! On the way to NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada