Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 01:31 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
......Thomas Jefferson thought it would be a walk in the park. Wrong.
Yes, but I think the point is that that was due to the presence of the British army there, not born-and-bred Canadians. But, hey, whatever makes folks feel better. Ultimately, the U.S. achieved its main objective in the War of 1812.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 06:13 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,283,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Ultimately, the U.S. achieved its main objective in the War of 1812.
They got rid of trade restrictions, but they did not acquire Canada, either in Quebec or Halifax, nor did they succeed in "expulsing England from from the American continent". Check our money - the Queen is still staring back at us **sigh**

"The acquisition of Canada this year, as far as the neighborhood of Quebec, will be a mere matter of marching, and will give us the experience for the attack on Halifax, the next and final expulsion of England from the American continent. Thomas Jefferson, 1812".

Old 03-01-2010, 10:44 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Thanks - but I actually do know my history - I am just not into splitting hairs over labels and regions. History is largely a continum and "Upper Canada" at that time was Canada for all intents and purposes. Fact of the matter is, the "Americans" wanted "Canada" and Thomas Jefferson thought it would be a walk in the park. Wrong.

I know the schools in Canada teach children that Canada won the war of 1812. Here in the US children are taught that the US won the war, focusing on Andrew Jacksons victory at NO. Both are laughable, as the war ended in a military stalemate, with the treaty of Ghent returning all territories to a pre war status. Both sides gave up the areas that they had captured. The British had hoped to capture the American midwest, british troops invaded and captured most of Michigan, moved into Ohio and Indiana. This was short lived when Perry cut off the supply lines in Lake Erie. US forces planed on taking all of Canada, and even though at the end of the war the US had a part of Upper Canada, most of that territory was still firmly in British hands. British invasions were turned back at Baltimore, and in New Orleans. Both sides wasted lots of blood and treasure in an attempt to grab land. Bad feelings were left in the aftermath for generations. This is one of the most useless wars fought by the US. Canadians seem to be taught to be proud of the war, but Canada was simply a pawn of the British, a staging area to recapture US territory. British agents used Canada to incite indians against the Americans long before the war started. I know the war did give Canadians a feeling of national pride, as in the end they did work together to defend thier homes. Here in the US the war had the same effect, as it bolstered our sense of patriotism having survived being invaded by the most powerful nation on earth at that time. In reality we are lucky we didnt lose, had the crown not been busy with Napolean we may have lost half our country. Canadians could have just as easily lost their nation, but incompetant American generals, and New England dissent against the war harmed the American war effort. In my opinion the war was a waste, a huge risk for both sides and in the end totaly indecisisve. No one can claim victory.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:21 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,915,323 times
Quote:
Thanks - but I actually do know my history - I am just not into splitting hairs over labels and regions. History is largely a continum and "Upper Canada" at that time was Canada for all intents and purposes. Fact of the matter is, the "Americans" wanted "Canada" and Thomas Jefferson thought it would be a walk in the park. Wrong.
Not the president in 1812?

Old 03-03-2010, 05:38 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
No, but he was still an important politician and he did make a speech along those lines.

I'm not sure if it is true that it is taught that "Canada" or the British Empire won the War of 1812 - two of my professors (One in Canadian Studies and one in American History) explicitly said the war was a stalemate and that the American objective was to end trade issues with the Empire. So in my experience it is not taught here. However that doesn't mean that all the students listened or absorbed that information.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:43 PM

74 posts, read 175,930 times
Quote:
It's called bragging rights. And if you don't think there will be cheering in the classrooms when the USA finally kicks Iraq's butt . . . I think you are sorely mistaken. The war of 1812 was (I believe) the only time Canada and the USA has ever gone to war. And Canada won. It's not like it (the war or the victory!) would ever happen again! And thank gawd for that! LOL
Sorry it was British troops doing it. Canada did not exist for many more decades. (It was founded right after our Civil War, if my history is correct, and was not even independent from the UK until the 1980's, if then.)

You should study what goes on in your overseas conquests a little better.

Actually I don't think the Dominion of Canada and the US have ever been to war. (The Pig War continued on with Britland after Canada became a Dominion but that was a continuation of or border dispute with you, not with Canada.) We have been at war with you Brits for most periods of our history however.

I thought you Brits knew everything about history and geography.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
That too. However Canada at the time still had a large conservative French contingent and though the United States thought they would want to join us, the reality was their nobility and clergy were opposite the French who had just completed their revolution at home at home and hoped to keep the feudal status quo here in the Americas.

A long time friend of mine was a French Canadian who immigrated here, and would go on about the independence of Quebec. I would remind him his ancestors had that opportunity at one point and chose to stay under the British yoke . . .

Last edited by Chris1955; 03-03-2010 at 11:58 PM..

Old 03-03-2010, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I know the schools in Canada teach children that Canada won the war of 1812. Here in the US children are taught that the US won the war, focusing on Andrew Jacksons victory at NO. Both are laughable, as the war ended in a military stalemate, with the treaty of Ghent returning all territories to a pre war status. Both sides gave up the areas that they had captured. The British had hoped to capture the American midwest, british troops invaded and captured most of Michigan, moved into Ohio and Indiana. This was short lived when Perry cut off the supply lines in Lake Erie. US forces planed on taking all of Canada, and even though at the end of the war the US had a part of Upper Canada, most of that territory was still firmly in British hands. British invasions were turned back at Baltimore, and in New Orleans. Both sides wasted lots of blood and treasure in an attempt to grab land. Bad feelings were left in the aftermath for generations. This is one of the most useless wars fought by the US. Canadians seem to be taught to be proud of the war, but Canada was simply a pawn of the British, a staging area to recapture US territory. British agents used Canada to incite indians against the Americans long before the war started. I know the war did give Canadians a feeling of national pride, as in the end they did work together to defend thier homes. Here in the US the war had the same effect, as it bolstered our sense of patriotism having survived being invaded by the most powerful nation on earth at that time. In reality we are lucky we didnt lose, had the crown not been busy with Napolean we may have lost half our country. Canadians could have just as easily lost their nation, but incompetant American generals, and New England dissent against the war harmed the American war effort. In my opinion the war was a waste, a huge risk for both sides and in the end totaly indecisisve. No one can claim victory.
Tactically you are correct.

However the effects were that we were never bothered by the British in any significant manner again. And the Brits did quit impressing US sailors into their Navy and did quit inciting attacks by Native American tribes and nations upon the United States, both which were significant and named reasons stated in the declaration of war in the first place.

Of course you don't see Canadians taking credit for what their British betters were doing at the time either. In fact most Canadians appear to have no clue what the War of 1812 was about in the first place.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:57 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1955 View Post
Sorry it was British troops doing it. Canada did not exist for many more decades. (It was founded right after our Civil War, if my history is correct, and was not even independent from the UK until the 1980's, if then.)

You should study what goes on in your overseas conquests a little better.

Actually I don't think the Dominion of Canada and the US have ever been to war. (The Pig War continued on with Britland after Canada became a Dominion but that was a continuation of or border dispute with you, not with Canada.) We have been at war with you Brits for most periods of our history however.

I thought you Brits knew everything about history and geography.
Just for the record, sunshineleith is a Canadian living in the U.K.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:41 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,283,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Just for the record, sunshineleith is a Canadian living in the U.K.
True - as I stated in post 26. I am always fascinated how people will particiapte in an online forum, which involves reading, and yet some, apparently can't (don't?) read LOL. **sigh**

The thread is now waaaaaaay off track, but in answer to the OP's question, Canadians just love their flags!! We are also big on our provincial flags! In many places (e.g. New Brunswick) it is common to see three flags flying together in front yards the maple leaf, the flag of NB and the Acadian flag as well. Chocolate river and our flags | Photo http://www.canadianbusiness.com/slid...oncton_LRG.jpg

Does it have anything to do with differentiating ourselves from the USA? Of course not? Why would it?

Living over here in the UK I notice a real absence of flags - I love flags (of any sort) so it gives me great joy to travel in Scotland where they seem to fly more of them than elsewhere in the UK or in New England where the stars and stripes are everywhere.

Last edited by sunshineleith; 03-05-2010 at 06:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada