Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 01:10 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich S View Post
And the people saying Quebec will become a third world country are ludicrous. Maybe low tier first world. In case You didn't notice, Countries who are 1/15th the size of Quebec are full first world countries. Quebec would do just fine.

I can however, see statehood, considering the US wants them. But rejoining Canada? No.
Perhaps people who don't pay proper attention to the written word and context of what is said are ludicrous. Perhaps such people who don't pay proper attention to what has been written should go back and read it over again.

Size of a country and its remaining population is not as important as how its power is weilded it and how other countries react to how that power is weilded. If that new power becomes abused and other people and other countries suffer due to a new country abusing it's new powers, then yes indeed it can become a 3rd world country by being cut off through sanctions. isolation and shunning.

I agree with you that if Quebec left Canada it would not return to Canada and Canada would not want it back after having indulged it one last final time. To the best of my knowledge no country, no matter how much of a failure it turned out to be, has returned to its mother country after it seceded. I think partly because of failed pride and partly because the disowned mother countries have said "don't come back, you've made your own bed now, you can go lie in it."

I also agree that statehood would be in the offing for Quebec if it secedes from Canada. USA has always wanted Quebec. Once Quebec had seceded from Canada the USA wouldn't take no for an answer and Quebec's new found sovereignty wouldn't last very long.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 01:14 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

I also agree that statehood would be in the offing for Quebec if it secedes from Canada. USA has always wanted Quebec. Once Quebec had seceded from Canada the USA wouldn't take no for an answer and Quebec's new found sovereignty wouldn't last very long.

This is news to us in Quebec. And probably to people in the U.S. as well.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:16 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
Correct, but a lot of people seem to forget that Montreal does not represent what Quebec is (in terms of numbers). People spend all their life or travels in Montreal and don't realize that lots of Quebecois wouldn't complain if some sort of natural disaster swept that city out into another province

Most English-language commentary on this province of Quebec is written by people who can't speak any French and who have never ventured outside the small areas of Quebec where you can speak English in daily life. If you ask the other 5-7 million francophones who don't live in Montreal, you would get a very different answer about the topic than you would in Montreal. Two different worlds.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
Agree, its just typical anti Quebec/anti US rhetoric
You want to believe that. I can understand why that is what you would prefer to believe. The fact is though that it's not bashing nor anti-Quebec / anti-USA rhetoric. I like Quebec and I like USA but I'm not deluded by them. The fact is it's a simple statement of truth based on present and past history and actions repeated over and over again. I know the truth hurts so it's easier for you to pretend it's just bashing and anti-whatever rhetoric but maybe it's time for you to be honest with yourself. Maybe you should wake up, pull your head out of the sand and take a look around at what has already happened in history and continues to happen now.

If you can't do that and still insist that it's typical anti-Quebec / anti-USA rhetoric then I challenge you to prove it that USA isn't just waiting in sidelines ready to jump in there.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:24 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is news to us in Quebec. And probably to people in the U.S. as well.

Absolutely! If Quebec became a state, the rest of us would have to learn to like strong cigarettes, stinky cheese, and funny little cars!

Old 08-26-2013, 01:25 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
I think the US "Left Coast" should form its own nation and take BC with it.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I think the US "Left Coast" should form its own nation and take BC with it.
The New Cascadia proponents have been agitating for that for decades already.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:32 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,618,183 times
Quote:
I think everyone here assumes there would be negotiations and it wouldn't be a hard split with border guards moving into position all of a sudden.
ok acajack maybe I read too many "Revolutoinary' books....;-)....All the revolutions I know always had a little hemoglobin spilled around, you know? I guess the PQ etc know how to do it with the white gloves then! And I'd go with mouldy's stinky cheese.... for all...and free to celebrate the day!...;-)...

Now I have to talk to zoisite about Quebec!....news to me too where have I been all these years????.....

Old 08-26-2013, 01:32 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich S View Post
Whilst the US wouldn't take Mexico, Quebec does have a lot of resources that US companies can extract. I honestly don't think Congress or the Senate would give a care what Quebecers thought. Keep that in mind.

A Quebec Statehood would be only for what the land has, not for cause.

It also wouldn't have to be full integration either, Quebec could be a Vassal State of the United States. While still having it's own government in return for protection and funds. While the US has access to resources for a period of time during said Vassalization.
Statehood would be virtually impossible but sure it could be an associated state of some kind.

I suspect that the U.S. wouldn't give a hoot about what language Quebec's schools taught in, whether Quebec had gun control and universal healthcare, or what the laws were on abortion. Or under what circumstances you could wear a burqa (or not) here...

Old 08-26-2013, 01:33 PM

64 posts, read 90,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Perhaps people who don't pay proper attention to the written word and context of what is said are ludicrous. Perhaps such people who don't pay proper attention to what has been written should go back and read it over again.

Size of a country and its remaining population is not as important as how its power is weilded it and how other countries react to how that power is weilded. If that new power becomes abused and other people and other countries suffer due to a new country abusing it's new powers, then yes indeed it can become a 3rd world country by being cut off through sanctions. isolation and shunning.
What the heck gives You the idea the Quebec Government would abuse it's power? Did You give it the thought that maybe they would be responsible? Do You know how low You have to go to become a Third World country? Second World is possible, sure. But I'm fully confident that Quebec if it left, would do just perfect on it's own.

Strange You're telling Me that I don't pay proper attention to what's written when it's wielded not weilded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada