Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2013, 02:24 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,091,599 times

Advertisements

You are allowed, just become a Sikh. Do you think regular people should walk around wearing medals around their necks when they didn't earn them? To get a medal, you have to accomplish something. The same goes for carrying a kirpan, you have to become Sikh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 02:47 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
Equality rights: (section 15): equal treatment before and under the law, and equal protection and benefit of the law without discrimination.

In other words .... I should be treated the same despite my religious affiliation! Hence, I should be allowed to carry a knife.
I'd say in a court of law that Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms is going to trump your Charter of Quebec Values, the key being your right to be treated the same despite your religious position.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:10 PM

307 posts, read 267,736 times
Quote:
By that logic, I should be allowed to carry a gun if it has no bullets?
What does the gun symbolize?

Old 09-18-2013, 03:15 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,435,819 times
Default Devotion to Gun God

Quote:
Originally Posted by quebon View Post
What does the gun symbolize?

And my religious rights are being taken away everyday!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/19/bu...hops.html?_r=0

Old 09-18-2013, 03:41 PM

I mean, what does the gun symbolize in Canadian culture, because this debate is not about the U.S. I merely provided a fact on how one instance of this issue was carried out in another country.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quebon View Post
I mean, what does the gun symbolize in Canadian culture, because this debate is not about the U.S. I merely provided a fact on how one instance of this issue was carried out in another country.
Sorry I did not realize that you were looking for a serious response.

I don't know if I understand your question. The gun (like the knife/ kirpan) does not symbolize anything in Canada. The instance you gave - the ruling in NY re: kirpan, is laughable to say the least. And I guarantee you that it would be easily overturned if someone challenged it in a higher court. So basically the NY court is saying that you can carry a knife only if it is glued to the holster? Under US Law, this obviously applies to non-Sikhs as well.

You are telling me you see nothing wrong with this? Isn't this is a bizarre ruling?

What else is allowed on the streets and schools of NY that we didn't know about? Gun without bullets? Un-sharpened swords? Non-lethal powered light sabers?

Old 09-18-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Sorry I did not realize that you were looking for a serious response.

I don't know if I understand your question. The gun (like the knife/ kirpan) does not symbolize anything in Canada. The instance you gave - the ruling in NY re: kirpan, is laughable to say the least. And I guarantee you that it would be easily overturned if someone challenged it in a higher court. So basically the NY court is saying that you can carry a knife only if it is glued to the holster? Under US Law, this obviously applies to non-Sikhs as well.

You are telling me you see nothing wrong with this? Isn't this is a bizarre ruling?

What else is allowed on the streets and schools of NY that we didn't know about? Gun without bullets? Un-sharpened swords? Non-lethal powered light sabers?
Oh, I absolutely see something wrong with this and think it is a recipe for disaster. I believe the NY ruling was more of an appeasement/loophole approach, as opposed to dealing with the core of the issue. But it does seem that the Canadian side just outright allowed it without any question, so this is clearly a touchy subject that gets beaten around the bush alot.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:02 PM

29 posts, read 41,944 times
Canada is a Christian country and everybody should respect that. You come to Canada, you should respect the laws and culture of the country. Muslims should know how it feels like being a minority now just like Christians feel in the Middle East and Islamic nations. Perhaps why not tax non-Christians also? Anyone heard of Jizya where non-Muslims must pay extra tax for not believe in muhammad and allah!!

Old 09-18-2013, 06:05 PM

^^^^ Jews for Jesus. Is that you?

You had us worried.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:36 PM

29 posts, read 41,944 times
Quote:
^^^^ Jews for Jesus. Is that you?

You had us worried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada