Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2013, 04:02 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times

Advertisements

I don't travel internationally too often, and my last passport expired a few years ago (though it's still in my possession). I'm aware that requirements for entry into Canada were tightened over a decade ago and, according to another thread, mandate either (1) a current passport, (2) a NEXUS card (no idea what that is), or (3) an "enhanced"? state-issued driver's license.

I'm curious as to exactly what is meant by the latter; I've held my current (non-commercial) Pennsylvania DL for nearly fifty years and, while I lived out of state for some time, was re=issued my license under the same number when I returned. (Pennsylvania issues licenses on a "strictly serial" basis).

My visits to Canada have generally been short, and an opportunity won't come up for at least a couple of months, so I'm curious as to whether an inquiry in advance on this side of the border would allow me to avoid some of the trouble and expense of renewing a passport I seldom use. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 05:00 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Check with US Immigration. You will have more trouble getting back into the US than getting into Canada.

"Starting June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens returning home from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda, by land or sea, are required to present one of the travel documents listed below.
U.S. Passport – This is an internationally recognized travel document that verifies a person’s identity and nationality. It is accepted for travel by air, land and sea.
U.S. Passport Card – This is a new, limited-use travel document that fits in your wallet and costs less than a U.S. Passport. It is only valid for travel by land and sea.
Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL) – Several states and Canadian provinces are issuing this driver’s license or identification document that denotes identity and citizenship. It is specifically designed for cross-border travel into the U.S. by land or sea.
Trusted Traveler Program Cards – Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST enrollment cards can speed your entry into the U.S. and are issued only to pre-approved, low-risk travelers. The cards are valid for use at land or sea; the NEXUS card can be used in airports with a NEXUS kiosk.

http://www.dhs.gov/crossing-us-borders#0

Old 10-07-2013, 05:08 PM

984 posts, read 2,712,873 times
An enhanced driver's license is a little harder to get than the regular version. Some info here.
Enhanced Drivers Licenses: What Are They? | Homeland Security
I can't seem to find any info about PA having them

Nexus is special card where you are screened by the US and CANADA and is typically only used by frequent crossers.
NEXUS Program Description - CBP.gov

Like Katzpaw said it's really not an issue going into Canada. It's what the US border guards will want to see on your way back.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:31 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
An enhanced driver's license is a little harder to get than the regular version. Some info here.
Enhanced Drivers Licenses: What Are They? | Homeland Security
I can't seem to find any info about PA having them

Nexus is special card where you are screened by the US and CANADA and is typically only used by frequent crossers.
NEXUS Program Description - CBP.gov

Like Katzpaw said it's really not an issue going into Canada. It's what the US border guards will want to see on your way back.
Of course, Canada will deny entry if they know you don't have the documentation to return to your country once you've concluded your trip to Canada, so I guess it's a moot point, but I think everyone's mentioning it because they don't want people thinking it was our country's decision to make crossing the border harder.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:47 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,096 times
In addition..........The "enhanced driver's license " requires more extensive documentation to get it, and it is "computer readable " just like the passport is.

Jim B

Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada