Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 08:26 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
That's odd. I grew up in Vancouver and we sang it in school every morning, but I don't know the words to the full song. I've never been questioned, like you were.

Sounds like you just bumped into some busybody's. How the heck did it come up in the first place??
It was at the opening ceremony of the multicultural festival in Halifax Nova Scotia. They opened by singing the National anthem followed by god save the queen. I sang the National anthem, but some older ladies noticed I wasn't singing along to God save the queen and made a big deal out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 08:43 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
It was at the opening ceremony of the multicultural festival in Halifax Nova Scotia. They opened by singing the National anthem followed by god save the queen. I sang the National anthem, but some older ladies noticed I wasn't singing along to God save the queen and made a big deal out of it.
God Save the Queen and the monarchy in general certainly aren't in your face that much (aside from her picture on our currency which we see every day), but it's interesting how they still sometimes pop up in unexpected places like this from time to time.

I was at the conference of a national association a year or two ago and the event's gala dinner started with a toast to the Queen. Some of the francophones in the room kind of looked at each other but all remained respectful to a fault... though it was briefly mentioned as we had drinks informally after the dinner.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:02 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
So it comes from thin air, basically. That's pretty amazing. Bear that in mind the next time you hear people complaining about high taxes.

Your mom had a union pension? What about the pension from her employer? Doesn't she have a federal pension? CPP technically isn't a pension, as I've understood it from this discussion. It's Social Security, which is not a pension. It's basically an anti-poverty measure, meant to be a supplement to employer-based pensions and savings.
How is general revenues thin air? It's been going in some shape and form since 1927, so I think we're OK.

I don't know in inner workings of how her pension was funded, but I suspect it would of been much like my own, where the pension is owned and run by the union, members pay into it, but the company, pays into it as well.

CPP is a pension since you only get it by working and paying into it. OAS you may argue is like your social security.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, CPP stands for Canada Pension Plan. You have no choice but to pay into it as it is automatically deducted from everyone's pay - even part-time workers like teens and students if I recall. A record is kept of how much you paid into it and this "career" total makes you eligible for a certain monthly amount when you retire. Not sure what the correlation is between what you actually paid into it and when you get in retirement, or if what everybody pays into it actually covers what the CPP (ie the government) has to pay out from month to month.
Yes part-time workers do pay into it. You can go online and see your history of payments. Mine started while I was flipping burgers in high school.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
How is general revenues thin air? It's been going in some shape and form since 1927, so I think we're OK.

I don't know in inner workings of how her pension was funded, but I suspect it would of been much like my own, where the pension is owned and run by the union, members pay into it, but the company, pays into it as well.

CPP is a pension since you only get it by working and paying into it. OAS you may argue is like your social security.
OAS is actually peanuts compared to Social Security in the US, as far as I can see.

The max from OAS is about 550 C$ per month. Social Security pays a max of 4000 US$ per month.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
LOL. You probably were too polite to say what I would of said.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
God Save the Queen and the monarchy in general certainly aren't in your face that much (aside from her picture on our currency which we see every day), but it's interesting how they still sometimes pop up in unexpected places like this from time to time.

I was at the conference of a national association a year or two ago and the event's gala dinner started with a toast to the Queen. Some of the francophones in the room kind of looked at each other but all remained respectful to a fault... though it was briefly mentioned as we had drinks informally after the dinner.
Weird. I'm trying to think of the last time I was at an event and a toast or any mention of the Queen in an official manner took place.
I know it can happen, but usually if the organization or group is in someway affiliated to the monarchy or has a member of the royal family as a patron, such as The Vancouver Rowing Club. They have HRH Prince Phillip as a patron, so I would assume at certain functions they may give a nod in his wife's direction.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Weird. I'm trying to think of the last time I was at an event and a toast or any mention of the Queen in an official manner took place.
I know it can happen, but usually if the organization or group is in someway affiliated to the monarchy or has a member of the royal family as a patron, such as The Vancouver Rowing Club. They have HRH Prince Phillip as a patron, so I would assume at certain functions they may give a nod in his wife's direction.
Yeah. Interestingly enough there is nothing "royal" (no royal patron, etc.) about this association nor about its field of expertise. At the same gala they usually have a piper come into the room playing "Scotland the Brave" as well. Which I kind of like actually...

It's still a cross-Canada organization with a good number of members from Quebec, and that makes at least some effort to be bilingual in some of its activities.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
OAS is actually peanuts compared to Social Security in the US, as far as I can see.

The max from OAS is about 550 C$ per month. Social Security pays a max of 4000 US$ per month.
I meant in the context of funding and payouts. However some digging is making it more confusing to me.
Social Security seems to be

"Social Security is financed through a dedicated payroll tax. Employers and employees each pay 6.2 percent of wages up to the taxable maximum of $117,000 (in 2014), while the self-employed pay 12.4 percent."

Social Security Administration: How is Social Security financed?

Which sounds more like CPP. So it really is a pension for some.

In asking who's eligible

'Yes, so long as you've worked for at least 10 years (for those born in 1929 or later). Ten years is the minimum amount of time required to earn the mandatory 40 credits.
Even if you have accumulated your 40 credits, however, you can't start getting payouts until you're 62 or older.

Am I eligible for Social Security benefits? - Ultimate Guide to Retirement

The regular OAS rate is around $550 or so, but their page online gives amounts of $1,198.58 for surviving spouses....I haven't looked into how that exactly works though.

In trying to find the average Social Security benefit payout I found this.

"In June 2011, the average Social Security benefit was $1,180.80 per month. The maximum possible benefit for a worker retiring at age 66 in 2011 is $2,366. But to get this amount, the worker would
need to earn the maximum taxable amount, currently $106,800, each year after age 21.Aug 1, 2011"

So where did you get $4,000 from??

Old 04-01-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I meant in the context of funding and payouts. However some digging is making it more confusing to me.
Social Security seems to be

"Social Security is financed through a dedicated payroll tax. Employers and employees each pay 6.2 percent of wages up to the taxable maximum of $117,000 (in 2014), while the self-employed pay 12.4 percent."

Social Security Administration: How is Social Security financed?

Which sounds more like CPP. So it really is a pension for some.

In asking who's eligible

'Yes, so long as you've worked for at least 10 years (for those born in 1929 or later). Ten years is the minimum amount of time required to earn the mandatory 40 credits.
Even if you have accumulated your 40 credits, however, you can't start getting payouts until you're 62 or older.

Am I eligible for Social Security benefits? - Ultimate Guide to Retirement

The regular OAS rate is around $550 or so, but their page online gives amounts of $1,198.58 for surviving spouses....I haven't looked into how that exactly works though.

In trying to find the average Social Security benefit payout I found this.

"In June 2011, the average Social Security benefit was $1,180.80 per month. The maximum possible benefit for a worker retiring at age 66 in 2011 is $2,366. But to get this amount, the worker would
need to earn the maximum taxable amount, currently $106,800, each year after age 21.Aug 1, 2011"

So where did you get $4,000 from??
I googled "social security" "maximum benefit per month" etc.

But it does sound like Social Security might be kind of like CPP+OAS, at least for some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada