Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2013, 06:49 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,917,927 times

Advertisements

Looks like "Fort Mac" is expecting tremendous growth, it will be quite a large city for that northerly latitude when it's all said and done:

A winter climate like Moscow - and house prices to rival London | Business | The Guardian

Land release doubles Fort McMurray | Fort McMurray Today

What do you think about Fort Mac becoming as big as they say? It's hard for me to fathom a city going from 65K to 250K in 15 years...

"By 2030, council believes the population will exceed 231,000 residents, 10,000 more people than the 2011 population of Saskatoon."

If this is true, there is tremendous opportunity there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 01:22 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,528,924 times
I think they're dreaming. I can't see it happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Looks like "Fort Mac" is expecting tremendous growth, it will be quite a large city for that northerly latitude when it's all said and done:

A winter climate like Moscow - and house prices to rival London | Business | The Guardian

Land release doubles Fort McMurray | Fort McMurray Today

What do you think about Fort Mac becoming as big as they say? It's hard for me to fathom a city going from 65K to 250K in 15 years...

"By 2030, council believes the population will exceed 231,000 residents, 10,000 more people than the 2011 population of Saskatoon."

If this is true, there is tremendous opportunity there.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:10 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,938,000 times
A winter climate like Moscow????? The Guardian doesn't have a clue about Moscow or Fort Mac. Moscow has very mild winters by Canadian standards, somewhere between Toronto and Ottawa's winters. There is absolutely no comparison here.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:18 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,941,739 times
250,000 may be a overstating it a bit. However, there's little doubt that's it's growing rapidly.

There really, really needs to be something done with the infrastructure in that town, if it's going to continue growing though. Traffic is an absolute disaster.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:46 PM

909 posts, read 1,155,933 times
It's growing rapidly and it will probably reach 500K people in at least my lifetime if jobs continue to be in demand there. It will be Alberta's third largest city and the hub of the north. It will make Canada look less close to the U.S. as all the major Canadian cities are in the south close to the U.S. border. That's my prediction at least.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:55 PM
pdw

2,692 posts, read 3,109,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
It's growing rapidly and it will probably reach 500K people in at least my lifetime if jobs continue to be in demand there. It will be Alberta's third largest city and the hub of the north. It will make Canada look less close to the U.S. as all the major Canadian cities are in the south close to the U.S. border. That's my prediction at least.
That would be cool if that happens. It will probably be one of the fastest growing cities in the developed world if the predictions are correct.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:33 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,528,924 times
Again, I can't see it happening. Once these projects are built out, many people will leave the area. The population pressure up there is a result of requiring manpower to build the major projects being constructed in that part of Alberta.

Once constructed, maybe a tenth of the number of folks required to build those major projects is required to actually run them. People aren't generally keen to live in a frozen part of the world a zillion miles from anywhere. They're more likely, or just as likely at best, to leave the area and move on to the next project as they are to stay. The north is also filled with boomtowns which have failed, and people are also reluctant to pi$$ away their hard-earned money paying for a home in the middle of an icy frontier city that is more expensive than somewhere considerably more desirable. For what it's worth, this is my two cents on the matter.

Last edited by maclock; 12-15-2013 at 09:57 PM..

Old 12-16-2013, 12:39 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,917,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
From what I've read, they don't even have Costco or major chains yet. Why have major chains been reluctant to open stores there? Do they think the bust will come soon just like the boom did?

I also hear they are four laning route 63, isn't that a little late in the game?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada