Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2014, 07:52 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blue Sky View Post
Really?

I'm in the Army and my wife is in the Police so swearing comes.... very easily to the pair of us. We have a (just turned) 15yr old daughter and we moderate it around her so we should be ok . Swearing in France around and between people of our generation (40yr olds) is normally very relaxed and not taken offensively. Whilst it's not a public thing when out and about, when sat amongst a group of people your comfortable with it's certainly not uncommon.

It's certainly something to bear in mind anyway.
Oh, I think she meant that the swear words are religious in origin, not that the people are very religious.

Instead of like in France where swear words are scatalogical/sexual (bordel de *****! putain!), in Quebec they are deformations of religious words: tabarnac!, câlisse!, crisse!, sacrament!, hostie!...

As for their usage it's about the same as you describe: in public people who have class don't tend to use them that much as it's considered low-brow to do so, but among friends they tend to come out. And most parents try to refrain from swearing when in front of kids, unless they get really mad of course!

Quebec was historically very Catholic but today though the church is still present the wider society is very much a post-religious secular place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 01:08 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Oh, I think she meant that the swear words are religious in origin, not that the people are very religious
Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:20 PM

586 posts, read 831,204 times
I just realised, rather belatedly, that i'll be in Montreal on Bastille Day.

Looking online there seems to be differing views on whether or not it is marked in Quebec or not. The concensus seems to be "No, not really, it's a French holiday so why would we?" However, there are also some, rarer, mentions of informal parties and a very few comments about a large costume event and gathering.

Can anyone shed any light?

Old 05-24-2014, 01:04 PM

It's not really marked at all in any significant way. If you live in London, a good comparison would be the 4th of July or Australian ANZAC Day there which might be marked by expat Americans or Aussies. Some French people living in Montreal will mark it and have parties and such, and of course the media will regularly say ''bonne fête nationale à nos cousins français'', and there will be coverage of the events in Paris on TV5 and on our news channels.

But nothing major, although the fact that it is the national French holiday will be on more people's minds than in, say, Toronto or Boston.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:31 PM

850 posts, read 1,026,953 times
I only pretende to speak French and on my last visit to Montreal I learned the term "chaque bord" in the context of "each side." I was told that this is a French Canadian term and not French French. Is this true? Also, "bord" was pronounced to almost sound like "bal" when I would have expected something like "bor" so it sounded like " shack ball" and so at first I thought it was some kind of hybrid sport.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:58 PM

692 posts, read 957,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayway View Post
I only pretende to speak French and on my last visit to Montreal I learned the term "chaque bord" in the context of "each side." I was told that this is a French Canadian term and not French French. Is this true? Also, "bord" was pronounced to almost sound like "bal" when I would have expected something like "bor" so it sounded like " shack ball" and so at first I thought it was some kind of hybrid sport.
It's an older term that was retained in Canadian French, as well as in the various Créole languages of the Caribbean. European Francophones would probably say "chaque côté".

Old 05-27-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
It's an older term that was retained in Canadian French, as well as in the various Créole languages of the Caribbean. European Francophones would probably say "chaque côté".
Yeah, it's a synonym of ''côté''. I looked it up and it seems it might be a nautical term. There are a lot of these in Canadian French for some reason. For example embarquer-débarquer which is used to get into or get out of a vehicle like a car or a bus. In European French it's generally monter-descendre for cars and buses, and embarquer-débarquer for boats and also airplanes. In Canada both variants are used interchangeably.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yeah, it's a synonym of ''côté''. I looked it up and it seems it might be a nautical term. There are a lot of these in Canadian French for some reason. For example embarquer-débarquer which is used to get into or get out of a vehicle like a car or a bus. In European French it's generally monter-descendre for cars and buses, and embarquer-débarquer for boats and also airplanes. In Canada both variants are used interchangeably.
Maritime dialects of French have actually been a huge influence on how the language and its dialects & creoles have developed since the 17th century. Many of the same words and pronunciations seen in Creole are also seen in Canadian and Cajun french for this reason.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexdiamondz1902 View Post
Maritime dialects of French have actually been a huge influence on how the language and its dialects & creoles have developed since the 17th century. Many of the same words and pronunciations seen in Creole are also seen in Canadian and Cajun french for this reason.
There are still some Acadians in the Maritimes who say ''amarrer les lacets'' for tying shoelaces, instead of ''attacher les lacets''. Amarrer is a verb that means mooring a ship with cables.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There are still some Acadians in the Maritimes who say ''amarrer les lacets'' for tying shoelaces, instead of ''attacher les lacets''. Amarrer is a verb that means mooring a ship with cables.
exactly, and in Creole the verb for "to tie together" is maré, of similar etymology
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada