Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2010, 03:28 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
You're from the Deep South, eh? You probably say abowwwwwwwwwwwwt, not about. I think you're the one with the accent.
Everyone has an accent (especially me), but not everyone gets worked up when told they have one. US citizens are proud of our different regional accents. Yes we make fun of each other, but most people take the teasing in stride.

BTW, no, I'm not from the south. I just live here right now. I mentioned in another message that I'm from the state of Pennsylvania.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 06:07 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Everyone has an accent (especially me), but not everyone gets worked up when told they have one. US citizens are proud of our different regional accents. Yes we make fun of each other, but most people take the teasing in stride.

BTW, no, I'm not from the south. I just live here right now. I mentioned in another message that I'm from the state of Pennsylvania.
Hey, sorry about that. I was half kidding, I didn't mean to come off as offensive. I'm a U.S. Citizen too, from the Upper Midwest (some people say we sound Canadian). I saw your location bar and figured you were from the south. No harm intended.

Old 11-20-2010, 04:38 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
These are cute

Canadian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3YgmNRYVa8

American

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk0tmvair8c

Pretty clear to hear how the American draws out the vowels.

And then there is the American that sounds Canadian because her vowels are more clipped (except for Ray-Men noodles)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys0JZ...eature=related

Linguistics lesson over.
I don't say all of the words like any one of these girls.
10-15% of the Canadian girl's words sound foreign to me, seriously.

Americans: "comfortable" with com pronounced phonetically? I say "cumf-trable"

Old 11-20-2010, 06:06 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post

Americans: "comfortable" with com pronounced phonetically? I say "cumf-trable"

never heard 'cumf-trable' on tv...I say, 'comf-ta'ble' (not comf TABLE).

Old 11-20-2010, 08:33 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
The only time I have ever heard "aboot" is out of the mouths of Americans who think they are imitating Canadians LOL. Never heard it from a Canadian yet. (Now the "eh" word is a whole other ballgame - but that's not an accent. )
Exactly, I've never heard anyone say "aboot" unless it was an exaggeration. Like I said earlier I usually hear it closer to "aboat" but even that's not entirely accurate. Somewhere between an ow and oh sound. It's impossible to represent phonetically.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:45 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
These are cute

Canadian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3YgmNRYVa8

American

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk0tmvair8c

Pretty clear to hear how the American draws out the vowels.

And then there is the American that sounds Canadian because her vowels are more clipped (except for Ray-Men noodles)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys0JZ...eature=related

Linguistics lesson over.
The second girl was in no way representative of all of the US. I didn't even get to where she pronounced the words. She has a distinct southern, or south Midwestern drawl. The third girl I'm willing to bet is from California. She sounds almost Northern Californian but without the stressed first syllable in her words.

Basically, the only accent I noticed was in the second girl.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:56 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,280,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Yeah , same with me - a number of those I pronounce differently as well. I'm from the east coast, and to me she sounds "Ontario-ish"
Which just shows ta go ya that there is no such thing as a homogenized Canadian accent.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:59 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,280,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
The second girl was in no way representative of all of the US...
Exactly my point
There is no one "American accent", nor is there a "Canadian accent" - it's all regional. Compare a west coast Newfoundlander to a New Brunswicker to an Albertan to a . . . there are a gazillion "Canadian" accents.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:44 PM

68 posts, read 166,651 times
Yes, even in the same country, the same city, there are also different accent

Old 11-28-2010, 06:56 PM

285 posts, read 702,940 times
When people (Americans, that is) talk about "the" Canadian accent, they usually seem to mean an accent most often heard in Ontario, particularly in and around Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada