Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 02:03 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Many in the Maritime provinces, in particular, hated the protectionist barriers that artificially propped up Ontario at the expense of the other parts of the country. I've heard similar complaints from the Prairie provinces. Perhaps because your province and its people benefitted from the arrangement, you may think it was a great arrangement, to the point where you didn't moan about being net contributors -- in some cases returning to us the excess of funds that should never have been removed from our regions in the first place -- but the some of us in the rest of the country knew what was going on and we knew it wasn't just.

John A. MacDonald's National Policy, and the distortions it created, did much to financially hobble what Ontarians might consider to be peripheral parts of the country. Atlantic Canada used to be comfortably prosperous. The National Policy did its part to see that came to an end. I won't make apologies for disliking the tariffs and the quotas that worked primarily to the advantage of Ontario. Not one bit. Ontario's prosperity came at the expense of other Canadian provinces. Is that somehow fair in your books, because it isn't in mine.

I never suggested you apologize nor would I ever presume to. I merely asked what useful purpose does it serve to stimulate divisiveness?

I never moaned when I lived in Nova Scotia either. I paid taxes wherever in Canada I lived and as an individual would not have expected to be held accountable for Federal policies enacted by seated members from all provinces.

Regardless of where you stand on the history of tariffs, quotas or the transfer formulae, what has your dislike for Ontario and Ontarians got to do with the topic at hand?

Oh and by the by I never signed any treaties with the natives, enacted a head tax on chinamen or owned any slaves either, but feel free to hold any of those policies against me as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 03:18 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,438,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

I never understood those inclusive resorts - never took one, never will. Eating buffets and lying in front a pool all day speaking to other English speaking tourists in a completely segregated resort is not "travel". I might just stay at home and save the money for something more interesting.
I wondered this myself for years.

I think it is the cheapest travel option for most Canadians. Plus, $500, 5 day all inclusive in Cuba is cheaper than going out for 5 days in Toronto (even if you dont pay for hotel).

Old 04-30-2014, 11:37 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,526,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Regardless of where you stand on the history of tariffs, quotas or the transfer formulae, what has your dislike for Ontario and Ontarians got to do with the topic at hand?
You must be confusing me with someone else. It's either that, or you're hypersensitive when it comes to how Ontarians are perceived elsewhere in Canada. I've met plenty of good folks from Ontario. Old Toronto and its residents are a different matter -- I find that I don't have much in common with many people I meet from there -- but people from London, Brockville, Windsor, Hamilton, St. Catherines, North Bay, Kingston, Woodstock, Oakville, etc.? Bring 'em on! They're good people more often than not.

Now to return to the point that I raised, I do take issue with Canadian government policies forced upon smaller regions, regions which should be prosperous, by a larger region hellbent on misappropriating the riches of those smaller regions to make the larger region significantly more prosperous and intended to secure the dominant position of that larger region. Canada laboured under that modus operandi for over a century and the further-flung regions of the country suffered a great deal for it. I won't forget that chapter of Canadian history any time soon, nor should anyone else.

Last edited by maclock; 05-01-2014 at 12:35 AM..

Old 05-01-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
You must be confusing me with someone else. It's either that, or you're hypersensitive when it comes to how Ontarians are perceived elsewhere in Canada. I've met plenty of good folks from Ontario. Old Toronto and its residents are a different matter -- I find that I don't have much in common with many people I meet from there -- but people from London, Brockville, Windsor, Hamilton, St. Catherines, North Bay, Kingston, Woodstock, Oakville, etc.? Bring 'em on! They're good people more often than not.

Now to return to the point that I raised, I do take issue with Canadian government policies forced upon smaller regions, regions which should be prosperous, by a larger region hellbent on misappropriating the riches of those smaller regions to make the larger region significantly more prosperous and intended to secure the dominant position of that larger region. Canada laboured under that modus operandi for over a century and the further-flung regions of the country suffered a great deal for it. I won't forget that chapter of Canadian history any time soon, nor should anyone else.
Well I suppose if I'm confusing you with someone else this could not have been what you posted then:

It's good to see that you're back on this old anti-free trade chestnut. I've missed it. We should all pay more to prop up Ontario, hey?

And in keeping with that, now you've moved on to only those folks from "Old Toronto" or is it "Old folks from Toronto" who have been responsible for singlehandedly shaping federal politics to unfairly benefit Ontario for a generation or more.

Any moment now I expect we'll hear how the community of Rosedale is the cancer which needs excising to guarantee any Free Trade agreement doesn't unfairly benefit Ontario.

Here's my opinion with it's assigned value of 2 Cents: you're simply pizzed at the concept of confederation not benefitting YOUR region as much as YOU have been told it deserved for your lifetime by YOUR disenchanted oldsters who had nothing better to do but moan about Ontario with a wave of the hand to the west while sitting on the jetty whittling because the fish weren't biting.

How's that for an example of an infantile regional bitterness directed unfairly towards another region AND it's inhabitants.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Well I suppose if I'm confusing you with someone else this could not have been what you posted then:

It's good to see that you're back on this old anti-free trade chestnut. I've missed it. We should all pay more to prop up Ontario, hey?

And in keeping with that, now you've moved on to only those folks from "Old Toronto" or is it "Old folks from Toronto" who have been responsible for singlehandedly shaping federal politics to unfairly benefit Ontario for a generation or more.

Any moment now I expect we'll hear how the community of Rosedale is the cancer which needs excising to guarantee any Free Trade agreement doesn't unfairly benefit Ontario.

Here's my opinion with it's assigned value of 2 Cents: you're simply pizzed at the concept of confederation not benefitting YOUR region as much as YOU have been told it deserved for your lifetime by YOUR disenchanted oldsters who had nothing better to do but moan about Ontario with a wave of the hand to the west while sitting on the jetty whittling because the fish weren't biting.

How's that for an example of an infantile regional bitterness directed unfairly towards another region AND it's inhabitants.
Wow. Someone certainly pi$$ed on your corn flakes this morning. Nice ad hominem. You should try engaging on the issues next time.

And that reference to Ontario is well-founded. That is what the National Policy was all about and that is what it set in place. While you might be tempted to call it nation building, many of the folks in Canada's regions might call it pocket picking.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Wow. Someone certainly pi$$ed on your corn flakes this morning. Nice ad hominem. You should try engaging on the issues next time.

And that reference to Ontario is well-founded. That is what the National Policy was all about and that is what it set in place. While you might be tempted to call it nation building, many of the folks in Canada's regions might call it pocket picking.
Take your own advice Mac!

You chose to ad-hominem with your nonsense referral to singular Ontario in the first place to respond to a Free Trade mention.

I'm not tempted to call it anything at all as it is not me whining over it as evidenced yet once again in this post of yours.

The thread is about an EU type of relationship with the U.S. with Free Trade being mentioned in keeping with that topic. YOU responded as one who had their cornflakes pizzed in with your snarky reference to the poster while singling out Ontario for special ire; lest you need reminding yet again.

Give the inane, infantile and churlish regional crud a rest and let's see where the topic of an EU type arrangement with the U.S. takes us next, okie-dokie?

Old 05-01-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Take your own advice Mac!

You chose to ad-hominem with your nonsense referral to singular Ontario in the first place to respond to a Free Trade mention.

I'm not tempted to call it anything at all as it is not me whining over it as evidenced yet once again in this post of yours.

The thread is about an EU type of relationship with the U.S. with Free Trade being mentioned in keeping with that topic. YOU responded as one who had their cornflakes pizzed in with your snarky reference to the poster while singling out Ontario for special ire; lest you need reminding yet again.

Give the inane, infantile and churlish regional crud a rest and let's see where the topic of an EU type arrangement with the U.S. takes us next, okie-dokie?
No, you need to give it a rest, BruSan. Seriously. I've seen you get your knickers in a twist with a few different posters here on the City-Data forums because you can't handle people who don't support your version of the truth.

I replied to pdw on his anti-free trade sentiment. That anti-free trade sentiment is deeply rooted in a very old fashioned Ontario Tory tradition, a tradition that has its roots in the National Policy. The National Policy hobbled the peripheral provinces of Canada to the near exclusive benefit of Ontario. If you can't or won't admit that, then that's your issue.

Calm down. Calm way the heck down. You're not in the RCN anymore and we don't all have to fall in line and agree wholeheartedly with your views. If you disagree with me, then fine, go ahead and disagree with me. I don't need to catch rubbish and personal attacks from you about entirely unrelated nonsense. Where did I engage in an ad hominem against the people of Ontario? I'd be forever grateful if you'd illustrate that for me.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
No, you need to give it a rest, BruSan. Seriously. I've seen you get your knickers in a twist with a few different posters here on the City-Data forums because you can't handle people who don't support your version of the truth.

I replied to pdw on his anti-free trade sentiment. That anti-free trade sentiment is deeply rooted in a very old fashioned Ontario Tory tradition, a tradition that has its roots in the National Policy. The National Policy hobbled the peripheral provinces of Canada to the near exclusive benefit of Ontario. If you can't or won't admit that, then that's your issue.

Calm down. Calm way the heck down. You're not in the RCN anymore and we don't all have to fall in line and agree wholeheartedly with your views. If you disagree with me, then fine, go ahead and disagree with me. I don't need to catch rubbish and personal attacks from you about entirely unrelated nonsense. Where did I engage in an ad hominem against the people of Ontario? I'd be forever grateful if you'd illustrate that for me.
Oh for heaven's sake; this from someone throwing around the ad hominem accusation!

I don't require calming down as I'm being no more bellicose than you over this silly issue.

Yes you replied to PDW about his free trade submission and threw in a snide remark about Ontario. I pointed out at the time that had no relevance to this discussion but you chose to gird yourself in YOUR version of what constitutes truth. That truth being now stated as an old Tory enacted National Policy.

I have no problem with anyone's version of the truth and I'm not arguing whether or not Ontario benefitted unfairly through any policy. I'm arguing as to it's relevance to this thread, dang it all. What the heck is wrong with you? Now it's my RCN background with more ad hominem attack from one who purports to disdain it?

If you categorize what I've written on here as rubbish, a personal attack; what the heck was your response to PDW might I ask?

PDW's post got YOUR knickers in a twist and hence your reference to Ontario in a thread having nothing whatsoever to do with Canada's history of National Policy. THAT was the unrelated nonsense I objected to, remember?

I've asked nicely, and worked myself all the way through cajoling sarcastically and you still don't get it. Now I'm just plain stating outright; your unrelated nonsense over Ontario has no bearing whatsoever in this thread does it?

Start another thread about the history of Canada as it relates to unfair tariffs and National Policies as related to any sector of the economy and you can bash Ontario at your leisure with opinion and facts.

Fair enough?

Old 05-01-2014, 03:37 PM
pdw

2,675 posts, read 3,098,337 times
Quote:
If one wants to limit their horizons to Canada, then you might be right. Some of us crave a bigger stage with better weather and opportunities, however. Canada isn't the be all and end all. It isn't what everyone, including some Canadians, want.

I remain doubtful that the UK will vote to leave the EU. If anything, the Brits will use that kind of threat to wring those concessions they might want out of the EU, thereafter remaining inside it or in association with it.

The prairie provinces don't need free trade. Nowhere in Canada needs free trade, but tariffs ensured the prosperity of certain areas and industries of our country. Stop ridiculing me for pointing this out.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
The prairie provinces don't need free trade. Nowhere in Canada needs free trade, but tariffs ensured the prosperity of certain areas and industries of our country. Stop ridiculing me for pointing this out.
The tariffs you so much favour work(ed) for Ontario. End of story. The rest of us shouldn't need to ensure that Ontario's prosperity is underwritten and ensured by the labour and the wealth of Canadians living elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada