Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 12:07 PM

342 posts, read 510,996 times

Advertisements

I BC we rarely heard about Quebec other than some talk of seperation. But aren't they justified considering they were the original Canadians? They were oppressed for centuries and still yet are still HATED by most Canadians. Most people dont even know or care to know French, yet claim to know about the Quebecois. Well maybe they are unhappy because of this attitude! I know I wouldnt like it if someone took over my country and colonized it and and treated me like dirt?

Thats why I think we should give more back to Quebec. Instead of stereotyping them and hating them we should give them more money to jump start their economy. They are our Canadian brothers and sisters and deserve better treatment. Maybe if we stop hating them all learn French and start helping them, we can build a better Canada. This is a topic that needs to be discussed more by Canadians. This isn't even factoring in the First Nations who are treated much better in the US, but that topic is for another thread.

What do you think? Should we help the Quebecois more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 12:29 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Your concern is enviable and genuine but I don't know what you mean by "help" exactly.

Québécois people have full rights and a high standard of living typical of Canada, North America and any western country.

There are of course some issues with respect to which language is used in Quebec and how political powers are divvied up between Ottawa and Quebec, but by and large it's nothing compared to the third world conditions many aboriginal Canadians live in.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:37 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Just for the sake of asking the question...Weren't the natives the first Canadians? The original Habs were just the first wave of settlers.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:45 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
I don't think the rest of Canada hates Quebec. Quebec is doing okay, it's not some kind of handicapped or special needs child and doesn't need to be treated as though it needs help or is more special than the rest of Canada.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Just for the sake of asking the question...Weren't the natives the first Canadians? The original Habs were just the first wave of settlers.
This is a matter of debate I'd say.

Certainly the aboriginals are the first inhabitants of the territory known as Canada, so in theory they were the first Canadians.

But the first group of humans to refer to themselves as Canadians (Canadiens) were the settlers of New France and the ancestors of most of today's French Canadians.

Aboriginals never referred to themselves as Canadians. That name would have meant nothing to them.

So it depends how you look at it.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:02 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
I BC we rarely heard about Quebec other than some talk of seperation. But aren't they justified considering they were the original Canadians? They were oppressed for centuries and still yet are still HATED by most Canadians. Most people dont even know or care to know French, yet claim to know about the Quebecois. Well maybe they are unhappy because of this attitude! I know I wouldnt like it if someone took over my country and colonized it and and treated me like dirt?

Thats why I think we should give more back to Quebec. Instead of stereotyping them and hating them we should give them more money to jump start their economy. They are our Canadian brothers and sisters and deserve better treatment. Maybe if we stop hating them all learn French and start helping them, we can build a better Canada. This is a topic that needs to be discussed more by Canadians. This isn't even factoring in the First Nations who are treated much better in the US, but that topic is for another thread.

What do you think? Should we help the Quebecois more?
Quebec isn't going anywhere. The majority wants no talk of separation. Just a bunch of loud politicians flapping their gums.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:03 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That name would have meant nothing to them.

So it depends how you look at it.
Hey, I know from my Heritage Minute that it would have meant village except for that damn Jacques Cartier..

I don't think that there's much to set right. Even historically les habitants were given a lot of recognition and freedoms that other conquered colonies weren't. Ironically, if the English had treated them just like everyone else, there'd be less French in Quebec that there is in Louisiana. Or Canada would have been a wasteland eventually taken over by the Americans...one of the two.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:28 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
How was Quebec oppressed? I don't understand.

I think Quebec makes Canada a more culturally interesting country, although I don't think bilingualism should be implemented national wide (waste of money).

Old 06-11-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:

I don't think that there's much to set right. Even historically les habitants were given a lot of recognition and freedoms that other conquered colonies weren't. .
Quite true but this was more out of strategy and realpolitik than it was out of generosity of spirit.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Hey, I know from my Heritage Minute that it would have meant village except for that damn Jacques Cartier..

Yes, but only to the Hurons of the St. Lawrence River valley, who didn't call themselves Canadians at all of course!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada